Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
So my Motor just Blew

I have a 2010 2LT/RS with 80k and the CEL came on last week for the timing chains. I was quoted $2500 for the repair which GM wont cover but they do in every other model which has the same LLT motor. So being pissed off and feeling ripped off after talking to GM Canada, I figured I would do the install myself as the parts were knly $300 for me.

So I go to move the car into the driveway this morning and when it started, it ran rough and sounded as if it was firing cylinders all out of wack so I quickly shut it off and took another vehicle to work. All day at work I dreaded that the motor was blown. I got home figured I would try and start it....well it wont start. Guessing the motor is seized.

Now I have no idea what to do. I refuse to pay to put a problematic and flawwed engine back in it.

So I either do a LS swap which is apparently impossible or I buy a new car which I was hoping to do next year.

And to make matters worse I have a test drive booked for a hyper blue 2SS but it irritates me that I am so passionate about Chevy when they just failed me.

Not sure what to do, hoping my fellow Canadians can give me some good advice even if its not what I want to hear.

To be clear I will not sell or trade this car, its paid off and I have no intentions of letting it go. I will just store it permanently for the future
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I have a 2010 2LT/RS with 80k and the CEL came on last week for the timing chains. I was quoted $2500 for the repair which GM wont cover but they do in every other model which has the same LLT motor. So being pissed off and feeling ripped off after talking to GM Canada, I figured I would do the install myself as the parts were knly $300 for me.

So I go to move the car into the driveway this morning and when it started, it ran rough and sounded as if it was firing cylinders all out of wack so I quickly shut it off and took another vehicle to work. All day at work I dreaded that the motor was blown. I got home figured I would try and start it....well it wont start. Guessing the motor is seized.

Now I have no idea what to do. I refuse to pay to put a problematic and flawwed engine back in it.

So I either do a LS swap which is apparently impossible or I buy a new car which I was hoping to do next year.

And to make matters worse I have a test drive booked for a hyper blue 2SS but it irritates me that I am so passionate about Chevy when they just failed me.

Not sure what to do, hoping my fellow Canadians can give me some good advice even if its not what I want to hear.

To be clear I will not sell or trade this car, its paid off and I have no intentions of letting it go. I will just store it permanently for the future
That sucks...How much for a new motor? It's still cheaper than a new car.

Whats your mileage?

Just called GM for price of a new V6 motor....$5000. without the intake
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set

Last edited by RickRay; 03-08-2016 at 07:17 AM.
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
GM's SS
GM got a GM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Well, I don't know what you are capable of or comfortable doing under the hood but it sounds like you have done what many of us have also done - trying to save some money and end up costing more in the long run.
Your situation doesn't sound good - you went from a CEL to maybe a seized engine. Do you know anyone who is a mechanic who could take a look at it for you?
GM.
GM's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
That sucks TJ, sorry to hear.
We all love our Camaro's and having an early 2010 is special.
FIX HER
Old 03-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Dennis,

Sorry to hear about your situation, that really sucks, that would drive me crazy, doesn't powertrain cover any of it?

New engine or New Car...the only thing I can recommend is that you way the pros & cons on both and based on your financial situation make the right choice that suits YOU.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
HPerformance

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
I'd Find a used engine and get the chains done on it or rebuild yours.

2011 Cadillac Escalade- Black on Tan- 20% Tint, Full WeatherTech,6.2L

2016 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT- Black on Black-

I like Black Cars.
HPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
I would say go ahead and pull the timing chain like you were planning, while your doing that and you have everything apart try to manually turn the crank shaft (don't forget to take the spark plugs out b4 turning the crank). If she doesnt turn you might be SOL. if she does it could still just be the timing chain issue.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
That sucks...How much for a new motor? It's still cheaper than a new car.

Whats your mileage?

Just called GM for price of a new V6 motor....$5000. without the intake
80,000km and I know it blows...literally lol.

5000 for a flawed engine is ridiculous, I would still need to do the chains eventually and possibly have another blown motor regardless if the chains go bad or not.

LOL oh man our love for the Camaros drives us to do crazy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM's SS View Post
Well, I don't know what you are capable of or comfortable doing under the hood but it sounds like you have done what many of us have also done - trying to save some money and end up costing more in the long run.
Your situation doesn't sound good - you went from a CEL to maybe a seized engine. Do you know anyone who is a mechanic who could take a look at it for you?
GM.
I am pretty mechanically inclined, and most importantly I know how to use resources lol Im sure I can do it, just need the tools and equipment.
It sounded seized but after talking to a few people, they think it may be that the timing went completely out of wack and the ECU won't start the motor...althought it did try to start the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
That sucks TJ, sorry to hear.
We all love our Camaro's and having an early 2010 is special.
FIX HER
Yeap, still remember my order code from 2008 like the back of my hand. I will fix her, but I want to do what was my original long term plan...which was to do a V8 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Dennis,

Sorry to hear about your situation, that really sucks, that would drive me crazy, doesn't powertrain cover any of it?

New engine or New Car...the only thing I can recommend is that you way the pros & cons on both and based on your financial situation make the right choice that suits YOU.
Honestly the worst part about this whole issue is the fact that it is a known issue and they cover the LLT engine with extended coverage for all models EXCEPT Camaro and the bill for the repair is ridiculous. And GM Canada was of no help at all.

Thats exactly what I'm doing now. Weighing in all options and trying to figure out what makes most sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPerformance View Post
I'd Find a used engine and get the chains done on it or rebuild yours.
I personally hate the LLT motor, it is known for timing chains, and worse, its known for spinning bearings. So rather not deal with another LLT but your option does make the most sense financially

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
I would say go ahead and pull the timing chain like you were planning, while your doing that and you have everything apart try to manually turn the crank shaft (don't forget to take the spark plugs out b4 turning the crank). If she doesnt turn you might be SOL. if she does it could still just be the timing chain issue.
THANK YOU for the tips!! Im going to pull the car apart this weekend and see what exactly went wrong. Should be a fun time

But on a serious note, if someone could please help me in figuring out how I can do an LS swap, I would be forever grateful.

I woudlnt even think twice, I would buy all the parts and get it done. I just need someone to tell me it can be done.

Apparently everyone says its impossible because of the wiring; apparently the BCM and ECM won't communicate

I would really love it if someone can coach me around this. Im seeing LS swaps in just about everything from BRZs to Solstices to VW Touregs so I can't understand why its so impossible to do this to my car.

My budget is 10k
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 03-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #9
TJ91

Thanks again everyone for the responses, I appreciate it
Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #10
RickRay
INJACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
80,000km and I know it blows...literally lol.

5000 for a flawed engine is ridiculous, I would still need to do the chains eventually and possibly have another blown motor regardless if the chains go bad or not.

LOL oh man our love for the Camaros drives us to do crazy things

My budget is 10k
I'm over 140,000 KM of hard driven KM
From my 1st oil change in 2009 I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil
and running on Super
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
arkentect

Quote:
I'm over 140,000 KM of hard driven KM
From my 1st oil change in 2009 I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil
and running on Super
+1 For Mobil 1. Ever since my new LLT crate motor Ive been changing the oil every 3000miles no matter what. 12k miles on the new motor with no problems or hiccups. I actually think the new LLT has more power to it, definitely better pick up.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
Good luck TJ, we have to keep our 2010's going as long as possible.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #13
RickRay
INJACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
+1 For Mobil 1. Ever since my new LLT crate motor Ive been changing the oil every 3000miles no matter what. 12k miles on the new motor with no problems or hiccups. I actually think the new LLT has more power to it, definitely better pick up.
If you don't mind what was your cost for the crate motor?
(GM - $5000CDN)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #14
arkentect

Quote:
If you don't mind what was your cost for the crate motor?
(GM - $5000CDN)
I think the crate motor was about $5600. I only paid $2600 because GM covered part of it in the warranty