Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2017, 01:42 AM   #1
Galonso$*

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Should i get a better tune?

Long post here incoming. I honestly feel like i should be pushing more power then i should now. Right now I’m pushing a max of 416 HP and 394 TQ and that’s with Headers with high flow cats,, stage 2 cam and the tune i got with the cam. Is this normal average numbers for an auto SS for what mods i have? Also I’ll prob get another tune from a shop 4 hours away that a buddy got his tune at and can add more power then i do now for $600 from what my buddy has told me. Is that $600 tune worth it? I’ve seen on here that most actual good dyno tunes are $400 to $600.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Need to go to the track and see how it runs before you decide.

A guy I work with used to have a tuned 2010 SS auto with a TSP full exhaust and intake and it would walk my car.....didn't matter if it was a dig, 20 roll, 40 roll ect.... I'd lose. His car made 385, mine made 416 at that time. My car had a PTB and intake.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Your going stage 2 instead of four....well that's left you where you are, a tune will gain maybe a good dyno a few HP if the old one is screwed up......Don't look for miracles throwing money around it has to be in the right place, now if you had stage four and were that low...yes the tune maybe way off. I do not see rear end gears or converter in your mods..........
Old 12-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
whew..if money grew on trees..street cars it's all about hp/tq where you need it...not dyno #'s..bolt on cars IMHO waste on a dyno..try PM'ing dynoSteve at RDP...get a free education and save $$$ with his SCT/tune deal...the man has serious skillz...peace out.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
whew..if money grew on trees..street cars it's all about hp/tq where you need it...not dyno #'s..bolt on cars IMHO waste on a dyno..try PM'ing dynoSteve at RDP...get a free education and save $$$ with his SCT/tune deal...the man has serious skillz...peace out.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Actually not too bad for an l99. Different dynos read different #'s...plus a lot of other factors are in the mix. I agree dyno's are simply a tuning tool. Its all about how competent your tuner is and what your car demands (i.e., what parameters it functions best in). Although mail order tunes are great with simple bolt ons. ...I firmly believe a cammed vehicle benefits from a proper dyno tune. And lastly.....how does your car feel? As someone else said....its not about the numbers, it's about having the hp/tq when and where you need it.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Galonso$*

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Actually not too bad for an l99. Different dynos read different #'s...plus a lot of other factors are in the mix. I agree dyno's are simply a tuning tool. Its all about how competent your tuner is and what your car demands (i.e., what parameters it functions best in). Although mail order tunes are great with simple bolt ons. ...I firmly believe a cammed vehicle benefits from a proper dyno tune. And lastly.....how does your car feel? As someone else said....its not about the numbers, it's about having the hp/tq when and where you need it.
It drives and feels great. I love every second of it especially now that i got i an actual daily driver now. The thing is the shop and the guy who installed the cam for me didn’t have time to dyno it when he tuned so i don’t know if that’s a factor so i only got to dyno it at the big car events that happen in my area. Trying to do everything i can to get to 450 rwhp before hitting the big mods like NOS and superchargers
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
GPIs smallest cam makes about 450 rwhp....just for reference

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
..try PM'ing dynoSteve at RDP...get a free education and save $$$ with his SCT/tune deal...the man has serious skillz...peace out.
^^^ THIS ^^^
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
GPIs smallest cam makes about 450 rwhp....just for reference
I wouldn't compare to this.

I had a tsp stage 2 and was within 10 rwhp. Depending on mods and dyno you're in the ballpark. With my gpi stage 4 I'm at 480rwhp with bigger stall and gears. It all depends on the setup
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Ya, but he's got a stage 2 and is at 416...

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I wouldn't be happy with 416hp with a cam. Seems low to me unless your baseline was really low
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyno, power adder, tune, tuning advice