Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #15
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
Looks familiar
Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #16
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
The best thing about this idea is that anyone could check this option and get a top of the line car without the dealer doing a super high markup. It really upsets me to see all the limited hi-performace edition cars going to the super rich. I want one and would gladly pay for it but screeeeew the 20K dollar markups.... Just my thought.. I like the check box idea.....

Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
2kwik
So anxious.

Drives: Awaiting my 2010 SS
DO IT..... DOOOOO ITTTT!!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #18
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik View Post
DO IT..... DOOOOO ITTTT!!!!!
GIT IN DA CHOPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but yeah that's a great idea,

i hope fbodfather chimes in and expresses his opinion
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I've said it before and I will say it again... slapping a supercharger on an engine not designed for it can only cause problems later on down the road. Even the cast pistons in the LSA are a liability.

Unless the Z28 package w/ the S/C includes a set of forged pistons, the reliability that I want from a FULL production Z/28 will keep from buying this package. Or a full warranty to 100K when buying this package...

For the price of a GMPP package, I could rebuild the LS3 for forced induction and still have money left in the bank. I have NEVER liked the reliability aspect of slapping a S/C onto a motor designed for N/A. I understand that it has been done in the past, but that does not make it the right decision.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again... slapping a supercharger on an engine not designed for it can only cause problems later on down the road. Even the cast pistons in the LSA are a liability.

Unless the Z28 package w/ the S/C includes a set of forged pistons, the reliability that I want from a FULL production Z/28 will keep from buying this package. Or a full warranty to 100K when buying this package...

For the price of a GMPP package, I could rebuild the LS3 for forced induction and still have money left in the bank. I have NEVER liked the reliability aspect of slapping a S/C onto a motor designed for N/A. I understand that it has been done in the past, but that does not make it the right decision.
But, if that's the hand we're dealt, then that's what we have.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #21
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
This is the way i figured they would do it. If they were going to do it, it would almost have to be a package that you could get at the dealer.

+ a hundred on that option package to be checked(if i had the dough)
Old 09-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #22
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
hey question about this...

(and dont jump on me for speculating...)

But is this something that you could buy AFTER getting your car? i ask because there is no way i could aford a 5-8k mark up past 30k, but id love to add it to the car after i could make that money.

what are the odds of having an SS be converted to a Z28 post Factory through aftermarket products? kinda like a mustang stage 3 might do...
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post

But is this something that you could buy AFTER getting your car? i ask because there is no way i could aford a 5-8k mark up past 30k, but id love to add it to the car after i could make that money.

what are the odds of having an SS be converted to a Z28 post Factory through aftermarket products? kinda like a mustang stage 3 might do...
When you ask a question about a speculated idea that is not certain then all you will get is answers to your question that are theoretical and not fact. You say “Don’t jump on me for speculating”. But the question you ask requires a defeat answer that no one has.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post

I don't see why this couldn't be done, personally. However, I think it would seriously depend on the way GM went about making Z28. For example: I'm going to use the supercharged idea (DUH! ) If that car were going to be rated at, say, 550 horse', GM would surely use at least a strengthened tranny (6L90 and dual-disk 6060); beefier rear end (probably larger diameter ring and pinion, axles, and housing); larger diameter brakes (I'm sure since SS has 4-pot calipers, upgrading to 15" rotors wouldn't be out of the question); maybe wider wheels (why go BIGGER than 20-inch standards - isn't there talk of 21-inch accessories?); and probably some stiffening in the chassis (maybe heavier-duty engine and rear axle craddles and a few extra bolt-on braces). Then, there's probably going to be appearance changes too: hood, front facia, maybe rear spoiler. That's not even thinking about adding another cooling circuit for an intercooler and everything that goes with that.

To answer your question - I'd say you could do it, but would it be cost effective?... IF, GM were to make Z28 like this, I would be willing to be a paycheck that upgrading an SS to a Z28 would be more expensive than just buying a Z28 outright from the beginning. I think this is a struggle some people face and are just anxious about; the not knowing when part.

Now, if GM were to go a more traditional route, I think adding 10-20 more horse' and dropping weight would be easier than what I speculated above. Taking away from a car is a lot easier than adding to it.

I don't have any facts to support which way GM would/have/is/was going with Z28, I'm just taking a shot in the dark

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #25
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I don't see why this couldn't be done, personally. However, I think it would seriously depend on the way GM went about making Z28. For example: I'm going to use the supercharged idea (DUH! ) If that car were going to be rated at, say, 550 horse', GM would surely use at least a strengthened tranny (6L90 and dual-disk 6060); beefier rear end (probably larger diameter ring and pinion, axles, and housing); larger diameter brakes (I'm sure since SS has 4-pot calipers, upgrading to 15" rotors wouldn't be out of the question); maybe wider wheels (why go BIGGER than 20-inch standards - isn't there talk of 21-inch accessories?); and probably some stiffening in the chassis (maybe heavier-duty engine and rear axle craddles and a few extra bolt-on braces). Then, there's probably going to be appearance changes too: hood, front facia, maybe rear spoiler. That's not even thinking about adding another cooling circuit for an intercooler and everything that goes with that.

To answer your question - I'd say you could do it, but would it be cost effective?... IF, GM were to make Z28 like this, I would be willing to be a paycheck that upgrading an SS to a Z28 would be more expensive than just buying a Z28 outright from the beginning. I think this is a struggle some people face and are just anxious about; the not knowing when part.

Now, if GM were to go a more traditional route, I think adding 10-20 more horse' and dropping weight would be easier than what I speculated above. Taking away from a car is a lot easier than adding to it.

I don't have any facts to support which way GM would/have/is/was going with Z28, I'm just taking a shot in the dark

Who knows... might be a road worth traveling down...

Long way off though, ive still got alot of savings to do before the SS comes into the picture!!
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

+1

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 AM   #27
Cessna510
Gm loyalist

Drives: 04 z71 tahoe\99 SS m6
Great Idea! It would be a fairly rare car and since there will be so many other options few would be alike. RS|Z28..base Z28.....body kit....21's... stripes...colors....wing...blade
Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #28
SScott

Drives: 21speed
Guess I'll have to wait two MORE years to get a factory blown Camaro. The car is so tuff lookin'. but I don't NEED to get my butt kicked by blown mustangs and turbo'd hondas.
SScott is offline   Reply With Quote