Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
Falling back in love

Last month I posted that I was considering selling the Camaro, largely because handling/ride wasn't working for me. (too vague on roll-in, not enough grip, flat spotting for the first few miles on the Pirellis) and I hate Hill start assist.
I decided to try a few things and if I couldn't get it to where I wanted it, goodbye Camaro hello BMW.
Well, I added the strut tower brace (which seemed to help at higher speeds/loads) but the game changer was getting different tires. I went with stock sizes but traded in the p-nothings for Goodyear Eagle GT's. The flat spotting problem is no more, I have a slightly smoother (less choppy) ride, the traction control no longer pops up on the HUD when I try to feather in throttle on a turn, the roll-in is about 20% more precise and it's a 4 season tire so hopefully I won't have the drastic performance drop off that the raviolis had. (have to wait until Winter around here to see about that.) All in all it is so much more fun to live with that I'm amazed Chevy didn't put these on the car to start with.
I still want more precision on the roll in, so Pfadt sway bars, Pedders rear bushing inserts and changed suspension settings are all still on the table, but she is so much more fun to drive now.
Now, if Chevy would release the procedure for killing HSA like the guys with Mustangs, Challengers, Jeeps, etc. can.......
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas90 View Post
Last month I posted that I was considering selling the Camaro, largely because handling/ride wasn't working for me. (too vague on roll-in, not enough grip, flat spotting for the first few miles on the Pirellis) and I hate Hill start assist.
I decided to try a few things and if I couldn't get it to where I wanted it, goodbye Camaro hello BMW.
Well, I added the strut tower brace (which seemed to help at higher speeds/loads) but the game changer was getting different tires. I went with stock sizes but traded in the p-nothings for Goodyear Eagle GT's. The flat spotting problem is no more, I have a slightly smoother (less choppy) ride, the traction control no longer pops up on the HUD when I try to feather in throttle on a turn, the roll-in is about 20% more precise and it's a 4 season tire so hopefully I won't have the drastic performance drop off that the raviolis had. (have to wait until Winter around here to see about that.) All in all it is so much more fun to live with that I'm amazed Chevy didn't put these on the car to start with.
I still want more precision on the roll in, so Pfadt sway bars, Pedders rear bushing inserts and changed suspension settings are all still on the table, but she is so much more fun to drive now.
Now, if Chevy would release the procedure for killing HSA like the guys with Mustangs, Challengers, Jeeps, etc. can.......
Everyone finds something wrong with these cars, and usually there is a fix, especially one that can be found on Camaro5! Glad you were able to start enjoying the 5th gen!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
I think Ozzy might have accidentally found the fix for HSA. Not 100% on it yet. Go to Page 4 of the thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=277596&page=4
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I'm really glad you made this decision. Think of this way, in five years you will have an American classic, as all Camaros, ok some Camaros are, but if you had traded for a BMW, then in five years you have a used piece of crap. I don't mean all BMW's are pieces of crap, but cars like that when the are used, are just used cars, nothing special about them.

On a side note, I think anyone with similar complaints that wants to stick with a Camaro might do themselves the favor, and I know it's more money, but look at the 1LE snd ZL1, lot of car there.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Dallas90

Drives: Victory Red 2013 SS/RS Dual Mode
Now fully back in love, I no longer hate the first few (flat spotted miles). The car is as smooth as glass after sitting for 3 days. The improved grip and roll in make me smile. Still looking at doing the sways, but it's no longer a do or die type of item.
Dallas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
You sound like a more advanced driver than a lot of folks around here. You'd probably do really well with the 1LE. I wish my life was more exciting, but my driving consists of stoplights and straight highways and the SS is pretty good in those areas
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
You sound like a more advanced driver than a lot of folks around here. You'd probably do really well with the 1LE. I wish my life was more exciting, but my driving consists of stoplights and straight highways and the SS is pretty good in those areas
Especially when it has no roof
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
Quite a few times, on many of my vehicles, I've found that a new set of tires cures lots of problems. Especially if they are an older set.
I'm definitely going to research the next set that goes on my Camaro.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Wow, I never get flat spotting. That's a term I used to hear in reference to old-time fibreglas belted tires. I'm surprised.

But I'm not surprised you like the Goodyears.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
He refers to the soft rubber forming a flat spot when the car is parked and having to work it out when first driving.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
TSW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT Coup
Wow, I had the opposite experience switching to Eagle GT-2s on my Mustang from P zero's. Eagles were noticeably noisier and I found the thumped for the first mile or two each morning. Weird. They were nice grippy tires though.
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
1sicss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
we always refer to goodyears as good for a year, wait a year then chime back in
Old 08-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Im due for new tires in a couple thousand more. Considering those tires too OP.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i am looking at new camaros, and that is why i dont want RS package. i am looking at 2lt coupe and verts for daily driver, here in midwest. the dealers i talk to wont swich out the new pirellis on 20 inch rims for all seasons. and i aint going to spend 30K plus for a car and in 2 months have to spend another 1000 to get tires i can drive on in late Fall. is frusstrating that Gm is in bed with Pirelli and wont give you any flexibility when bying a new car
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote