Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Capvid
Preditor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT2 RS
Cool 2012 COPO Camaro - a Look at Assembly and Pics from Power Tour

Check out this video on the 2012 soon to be released COPO (Central Office Production Order) Camaro. Wicked!

Official 5th Gen COPO Camaro Info @ http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179715

Updated with: Inside Look at COPO Camaro Assembly

It’s not every day that you get to see race cars being produced en masse. So, that makes today not just any day. Today, The BLOCK brings you behind the scenes of the Official Chevrolet Performance COPO Camaro factory with exclusive images you just can’t get anywhere else. What you’re seeing in these images are some of America’s finest craftsmen constructing each of the 69 COPO Camaros with prep work currently being done to the body, engine and suspension components.

Up until this moment you’ve seen Summit White as the only flavor of the COPO, but now we are proud to share photos of painted bodies in the other official colors: Black, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic and Ashen Gray Metallic. And as you’re reading this, inside of these painted bodies welding torches are being lit up to tie in the roll cages to the frames.

Back when Jim Campbell, GM U.S. vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports, first announced the COPO Camaro, he stated, “The COPO Camaro is going to shake up the sportsman drag racing ranks this summer and give Chevy fans a great new reason to cheer on the Bowtie.” Well summer is officially here, and things are really starting to heat up!

So take a seat and enjoy these EXCLUSIVE images of where each of the 69 COPO Camaros are being hand crafted before they head out to dominate drag strips nationwide. Grab your big boy pants, the COPO is coming soon.

And some COPO photos from Hot Rod Power Tour

Capvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
They shouldn't have named it that. They only did it for the marketing.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Capvid
Preditor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT2 RS
The COPO does not have a VIN number, only a serial number. It cannot be licensed or titled for street legal driving. Apparently, only 69 will be made, and apparently only a select list of racing customers will qualify to buy it. For race track use only - sorry guys!
Capvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Video has been posted before. Other than the good building process info, it is nearly pointless though since it doesn't talk about horsepower numbers or 1/4 mile ET/MPH.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
"Actual" horsepower numbers, for each of the three engine combos available, will be a moving target as on-track and dyno-room development continues. Each team, of course, will apply their own "magic" to both suspension and engines. But I fully expect these cars to be Class-competitive against the existing Brand D and Brand F versions.

Preliminary runs were well into the 9s...

More videos available here:

http://www.zorly.com/speed-wars/new-...ro-video-clips
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
beeguz

Drives: 2012 ls
I want one, but my pocket says I can't have one, story of my life.
beeguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
LINMUP

Drives: 1982 Z28
$89 000....and there is a special collector edition that comes will all 3 engine options....sweet, but you can't drive it in the street.
LINMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post

What intrigues you the most about the Camaro? Please let us know! Have you taken one out for a test drive?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capvid View Post
The COPO does not have a VIN number, only a serial number. It cannot be licensed or titled for street legal driving. Apparently, only 69 will be made, and apparently only a select list of racing customers will qualify to buy it. For race track use only - sorry guys!
What's to stop someone from ripping the guts out of one of these and stuffing it under a existing Camaro? I know it would be a job but someone will do it.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
You CAN have these licensed for street use in the same way that you can had a homemade kit car licensed for street use. It's actually fairly easy, depending on your state and local laws. But what you should really ask yourself is why bother? It's home is on the track, not the street.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguz View Post
+1
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
You CAN have these licensed for street use in the same way that you can had a homemade kit car licensed for street use. It's actually fairly easy, depending on your state and local laws. But what you should really ask yourself is why bother? It's home is on the track, not the street.
I don't think the COPO falls into the same catagory as a "Homebuilt or Kit Car" because it is neither Homebuilt or a kit car.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I don't think the COPO falls into the same catagory as a "Homebuilt or Kit Car" because it is neither Homebuilt or a kit car.
Im pretty sure it actually does fall into the same category. Just like if you had someone build you a car from scratch. All you have to do is apply to your state to have it licensed for road legality. That probably just includes recording the S/N and possibly adding a VIN also, plus a plate. It's not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copo camaro, muscle car, performance, racing, super charger