Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #15
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Guys from my experience I can tell you that the squeak is caused by dirt so you only need to clean the rotors with a brake cleaner spray and water pressure!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Well its official. These brake pads are garbage.

I bedded the brakes as specified on the box and they still squeek.
The squeek is so loud and annoying that I've had to ALTER how I drive to avoid hearing it.
I took my car yesterday to the shop I always go to, that also installed the pads and said they were FINE. They took off the pads and even showed them to me and said they don't know why they squeek. They were a little dirty but nothing out of the ordinary. When they were installed they turned my rotors too.

I can make about 3-4 normal stops in traffic and then the squeek starts and its loud. People look at me like "S*** go get your brakes done!" The only way I don't hear it is if I stop harder than normal. And significantly harder. I mean stopping like I wasn't paying attention and had to stop suddenly. Thats not normal driving.

These damn pads squeek louder than the stock pads did when they were worn down. I guess I'm saving up now to buy new pads because I cannot stand this. I'm going to call the actual manufacturer later and see what they say, but you know what? These pads have been on my car since August so I'm probably S O L. wASTE OF $220.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I used Kawk #HB194Z-570 & HB453Z-585. These are the Performance Ceramic Pads. Not the High Performance Street Pads. No noise at all from them.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I have the Hawk HPS brake pads and they only squeek occasionally. When they start doing it, I just get the car going about 40 MPH and then hammer the brakes, repeat, repeat again and it stops squeeking. I know the guys with slotted rotors have less issue with this because they are constantly scuffing/cleaning the pads on the slots. Sorry you're having issues with, they work fine for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I have the Hawk HPS brake pads and they only squeek occasionally. When they start doing it, I just get the car going about 40 MPH and then hammer the brakes, repeat, repeat again and it stops squeeking. I know the guys with slotted rotors have less issue with this because they are constantly scuffing/cleaning the pads on the slots. Sorry you're having issues with, they work fine for me.
It just pisses me of because they claim the pads produce "virtually no noise".
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
Like has already been said, if you want better braking, it comes with its side effects. Here's a few other things that might help bring down the noise though:
Gob on the anti-squeal compound
brake caliper weights may have fallen off
the caliper mounting bolts are torque to yield and are supposed to be replaced each time the caliper is removed.
I have HP+ pads and have a little squeaking, I put the anti-squeal on there and it made it more bearable. They warn that HP+ will be noisier though. I haven't tried the other parts though...
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #21
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I have the same pads and they squeak from time to time. The price you pay for better braking. BTW I had to take off the brake caliper weights to fit my Bogarts on.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #22
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I used Kawk #HB194Z-570 & HB453Z-585. These are the Performance Ceramic Pads. Not the High Performance Street Pads. No noise at all from them.
I have these...and they squeak like hell...guess what ...the price to pay for low dirt and high stoppin power
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #23
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
I have these...and they squeak like hell...guess what ...the price to pay for low dirt and high stoppin power
I agree 100%... but they shouldn't advertise that it is "low dust and virtually noise free"
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #24
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
That's very odd to hear. I have Hawk HPS pads all around with Slotted rotors on the 4th gen and there's no Squeaking at all when braking as well as on my Eclipse where I have them in the front and same thing no squeaking at all.

I will say that there's a sort of like clunking noise when you let go of the brakes after being stopped, but it's only noticeable if you have your radio completely off. I did bed them in properly though on the 4th gen and the eclipse ehhh kind of.

Have you tried slapping a bunch of anti-squeal compound on there? I got the red stuff in a bottle from Auto Zone and filled in the back of the pads completely (it may look kind of retarded but shoot I have no squeaks and it's a daily driver).

Edit: As for dusting they dust just about the same as any other pads in my opinion but it's a much lighter dusting if that makes sense. Like with my previous pads I'd have to scrub the dust off hard if it had been sitting for a while. With the Hawk HPS pads I can just spray water and wipe away.

It could also be a problem with their version of these pads for the 5th gen (I'm still riding on the stock pads/rotors), although if other owners don't have the same problem you could've messed them up or you could have gotten a bad set

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #25
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
The shop where you had them done should of had the car ready for you when you picked the car up or at least told you what to do.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #26
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
I have those same pads on now for a week with DBA 5000 rotors. Not as much dust as stock and stops similar. I heard a few squeals but not much. Honestly i had same pads on my BMW years ago and these pads don't stop as great as people say. Should have gotten the Carbotechs.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #27
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Well its official. These brake pads are garbage.

I bedded the brakes as specified on the box and they still squeek.
The squeek is so loud and annoying that I've had to ALTER how I drive to avoid hearing it.
I took my car yesterday to the shop I always go to, that also installed the pads and said they were FINE. They took off the pads and even showed them to me and said they don't know why they squeek. They were a little dirty but nothing out of the ordinary. When they were installed they turned my rotors too.

I can make about 3-4 normal stops in traffic and then the squeek starts and its loud. People look at me like "S*** go get your brakes done!" The only way I don't hear it is if I stop harder than normal. And significantly harder. I mean stopping like I wasn't paying attention and had to stop suddenly. Thats not normal driving.

These damn pads squeek louder than the stock pads did when they were worn down. I guess I'm saving up now to buy new pads because I cannot stand this. I'm going to call the actual manufacturer later and see what they say, but you know what? These pads have been on my car since August so I'm probably S O L. wASTE OF $220.
The Hawk HPS compound is not garbage by any means. It is not a highly aggressive pad, to be sure. But certainly not junk. It's been around for over a decade with pretty predictable results.

Did you install these on brand new rotors, or at least rotors that had been professionally cleaned up? If not, I'm 99% confident the squeak issue is not with the pads. Fresh pads have a hell of a time seating properly on even slightly grooved rotors. The temptation is always there just to swap out pads and leave the rotors, which sometimes works. But more often than not, you end up pulling the rotors off later anyway (after cussing out the new set of pads). It's like putting old, worn solid lifters on a new camshaft -- not a good idea!

If they were installed on fresh or freshened up rotors, then they were probably glazed between the time they were new (and not bedded properly) until they were later. They will need to be removed, scuffed face down on 150 or so grit sandpaper on a very flat surface until the pad face is completely dull. Also, scuff the rotors friction faces with either a Flex-Hone or Scotch-Brite using a ton of elbow grease. Reinstall, re-bed. Done. You might add some Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant to give some resistance to the occasional, harmless low pedal effort, low speed squeal many semi-metallic pads will give off.

Have fun!
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #28
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Thanks that was helpful. I'll ask the shop to try this when I get time.