Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
USAA?

Mods,

I got my question answered and before things get too outta csontrol could you close this thread?

Last edited by Scrappy Doo; 02-04-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Just go to USAA.com and join. I did. You don't have to be a vet.
I got $750 off my car for it.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
They changed it to were you dont have to have military family or experience. You can just join and get a member number and send it to your dealer.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Scrappy Doo

Ok. Thanks ladies. I thought I saw in another thread where you actually have to be a member now. I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
I been with USAA since 1996 (military and when they first started offering insurance to enlisted back in the day) and they are great and i got the discount when i brought my car and my insurance rate is great for the camaro

If they open it up ...take it ... they are great !
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
cajun2010

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
is USAA still giving the discount. i've been having their insurance since my Navy days
cajun2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Scrappy Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun2010 View Post
is USAA still giving the discount. i've been having their insurance since my Navy days
Yes. That's why i was going to sign up. $750 is $750 to me I guess.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Anybody know if I could get USAA?

I wasn't in the armed forces. Is there a way to qualify or am I SOL?
Well it depends on how lucky you can get right now Scrappy. I joined USAA as a civilian, so I don't have a member ID card. Those cards are only given to former military and government employees. You can also use your proof of insurance or loan docs for the discount, but you can't have either of those products with USAA if you are joining as a civilian. Unfortunately, the requirements aren't made by the dealers its GM. GM gives them the money as rebate for discounting us. My guess is that so many people used the discount last year, that GM has established this cutoff.

Now if you get lucky your dealer might not know this and will give you the discount or your dealer is willing to eat it come GM audit time and gives you the discount anyway. Currently I am SOL, because my dealer knows whats required, he's trying to see if I can still use my profile page, but chances are slim.

You can read the discussion between me and Anna in the February Incentives thread.

Good luck to you!

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I've been with USAA for 20 years and have seen them gradually open things up.

In other threads I heard did open it up to anyone (I didn't really believe it since I've been trying to get my dad in for a while now)... However I never bothered to check until now...

It appears the banking and investments is open to anyone... Not the insurance part.

The checking account alone is the by far the BEST you could possibly have...

From the website.. https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/..._whos_eligible

EDIT: Per Hoppers clarification posts this manner of getting the discount was a loophole used last year. You must now prove FULL membership by having a USAA membership card, loan or insurance. To see if you are eligible use the link here. "Other individuals are not".
Attached Images

Last edited by mlee; 02-03-2010 at 11:10 PM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
^ Good info up there. I called that toll free number for "other individuals" under auto insurance. Its the number for Progressive, and they only insure motorcycles under USAA. They will insure your car but it won't be part of the USAA umbrella.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Well it depends on how lucky you can get right now Scrappy. I joined USAA as a civilian, so I don't have a member ID card. Those cards are only given to former military and government employees. You can also use your proof of insurance or loan docs for the discount, but you can't have either of those products with USAA if you are joining as a civilian. Unfortunately, the requirements aren't made by the dealers its GM. GM gives them the money as rebate for discounting us. My guess is that so many people used the discount last year, that GM has established this cutoff.

Now if you get lucky your dealer might not know this and will give you the discount or your dealer is willing to eat it come GM audit time and gives you the discount anyway. Currently I am SOL, because my dealer knows whats required, he's trying to see if I can still use my profile page, but chances are slim.

You can read the discussion between me and Anna in the February Incentives thread.

Good luck to you!
A lot of mis-information here...

First off... if you have a Checking Acct established all you need to do is log into the USAA website... go to your member profile page and print it out. It contains your USAA member number associated w/ your name and other info. I don't have a clue where my card is anymore. Just printed it out at the dealership as many others have done.

Next... this discount has nothing to do with GM and everything to do w/ USAA. No reason you should be denied unless your dealer is totally clueless. GM or dealer does not fund this rebate... USAA does.

There are many threads on this if you don't believe me...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
^ Good info up there. I called that toll free number for "other individuals" under auto insurance. Its the number for Progressive, and they only insure motorcycles under USAA. They will insure your car but it won't be part of the USAA umbrella.
They posted that number because you DO have to have a military affiliation to qualify for insurance.

Here's the correct number 1-800-531-USAA (8722)

I'd be very interested to see what you find out...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
Scrappy Doo

Thanks for the help guys. If I opened up a savings account, got the discount and then closed it would that work? Does having a USAA savings or checking account qualify for this discount?

I am already a member of a credit union too.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Thanks for the help guys. If I opened up a savings account, got the discount and then closed it would that work? Does having a USAA savings or checking account qualify for this discount?

I am already a member of a credit union too.
Probably not the most ethical thing to do...

Last edited by mlee; 02-03-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Deleted sign-up link
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote