Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
InfernoMan2011

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 1LT
Kenwood DMX9706S w/ Metra Kit?

Hello,

It has been quite a while since I've installed an aftermarket car stereo, but with my 2011 paid off, it's time to upgrade to something with Android Auto.

I'm planning to go with the Metra 99-3028S Dash kit as it resembles stock but with a bit more modern look. I think it looks a little nicer than the PAC personally.

I'm looking at the Kenwood DMX9706S as it supports Maestro and Wireless Android Auto connectivity and mirroring.

A few questions for those of you who have already installed a Kenwood or Pioneer aftermarket radio.

1.) Does the DMX9706S fit well with the Metra Dash kit?
2.) I use Sirius satellite radio and I've read that if I use the Maestro harness, I don't need to purchase the separate Kenwood Sirius XM module. Retaining the factory Sirius XM functionality with the Maestro harness, does that impose any limitations on the Sirius functionality (i.e. will I still get Album art displayed)?
3.) With the Android Auto mirroring, will I be able to display WatchESPN on the Kenwood display (while Parking break engaged or bypassed)? I'd love to be able cast football/baseball games in the car while waiting in the parking lot places.

4.) I'm still trying to nail down all the parts that I need to purchase. Is there anything I'm missing here:
  • Metra Dash Kit
  • Head Unit
  • Maestro idatalink Module

5.) I'm going to add a backup camera at the same time. Is there a specific camera that is recommended for the Camaro?

6.) My car has the bluetooth connectivity package and I definitely want to retain this functionality as well as steering wheel controls. It's my understanding the Maestro idatalink will allow me to do this?

Any info and suggestions are greatly appreciated! I definitely want to get a non mechanized head unit and I don't need CD/DVD playback as long a I can truly screen mirror from my Android phone. There are so many different HU models these days, I'm not sure if there is good comparable Pioneer or other brand HU.
InfernoMan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 AM   #2
cfosceola

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
If you are going with the idatalink just get the cam1 kit, very stream lined. You will have to get a head unit that is compatible with the idatalink. I wasn't a big fan of the 2 big knobs with stock head unit. You will not lose any functions with it.
cfosceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
InfernoMan2011

Thanks for the info! I personally prefer the look of the the Metra 99-3028S kit as it is closer to the stock look. I actually like the rotary knobs. I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is how I can get the most functionality out of the Kenwood head unit, while retaining the all the factory options, with the Metra 99-3028S dash kit. The idatalink is just an interface module, right? Will it work with the Metra dash kit? Sorry for all the questions. There are too many additional parts/modules these days! I remember back when all you had to worry about was the wiring harness, dash kit, & HU. Simpler times!
Old 12-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
InfernoMan2011

Well after doing some more reading it looks like Axxess is the module that works with Metra. So it sounds like I'm going to have to choose between a dash kit I prefer the looks of vs the interface module & functionality I'll get.

It does sound like the idatalink is superior with a Kenwood HU.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
cfosceola

If you go with the looks you will regret functionality, if you go with functionality you will get use to the look. That's my opinion. Good luck either way
Old 12-09-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
InfernoMan2011

Thanks

Thanks! I tend to agree with the functionality gained, so I ended up going with the KIT-CAM1 with a Kenwood DMX905s (don't need the Apple wireless Carplay since I use Android devices).

The last thing I'm trying to figure out is if the Maestro allows me to use my existing Sirius tuner that's already installed in the car or if I'm also going to have to buy the Kenwood Sirius XM Module.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
cfosceola

Not sure about android, but with apple car play i was able to use my xm thru the app from the phone. I dont believe the Cam1 retains the xm feature. Just re-read your last post, since you have a sirius tuner you should no longer need it, just download the app to your phone and use it that way.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
InfernoMan2011

I did some additional reading the factory SiriusXM Tuner is integrated into the stock radio. You are correct in that it's possible to use the SiriusXM on iOS or Android, from connected phone and you'll get the App on-screen of the HU via Android auto. However, I went ahead and bought the Kenwood SiriusXM tuner as well since I already have a subscription for the car and would like the option to use it when not connected to Android Auto.

From what I've read, I should be able to use the stock SiriusXM antenna as well, just have to convert the connector.

I've finally got all my parts ordered and with vacation time coming up am excited to tackle this project!

Thanks for all the info! It's definitely a lot more these days than a basic dash kit, HU, & Harness! Ever since they started integrating HVAC/Radio I haven't really even considered an aftermarket unit. This will be my first, but this Maestro kit is growing on me already. I watched some videos and it is very close in look to the stock radio bezel & buttons.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
IECamaroMike

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS
I'm going with the Cam-1 as I like the look without the knobs. Also, it has 2 USB which are important to me. I dont want to run a loose wire from the back somewhere when I can have the port on the front. Also, Im going with the Kenwood DMX9706S as it has both Apple and Android. Finally, Im getting the backup camera as we all know you cant see anything out back. Look forward to see how yours looks when completed.
IECamaroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
cfosceola

This is my set-up, I got a short angled lightning cable as you can see in the picture cause I use my phone as gps when needed and it looks neater than a long chord getting in your way
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I would still go with the aftermarket SiriusXM tuner. It’s relatively cheap and it’s better to put it in there while you have it all apart than maybe want it later. I use both my subscription service on my phone and the in car SiriusXM tuner and I still prefer the tuner.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
cfosceola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I would still go with the aftermarket SiriusXM tuner. It’s relatively cheap and it’s better to put it in there while you have it all apart than maybe want it later. I use both my subscription service on my phone and the in car SiriusXM tuner and I still prefer the tuner.
I cancelled my xm cause I stream Pandora or IHeart, but always thought the factory XM was sub-par sound wise compared to aftermarket. We had one in another vehicle and it sounded so much better than factory.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
InfernoMan2011

Parts came in

Well, my parts came in! I had ordered the Kenwood DMX905S as it was over $100 cheaper than the newer DMX906S model, with the only difference being the DMX905S doesn't have Apple wireless carplay support. (I use Android so wasn't an important feature to me.) However, the seller I purchased from ran out of the DMX905S, and upgraded me to the 906S at no additional cost. Very cool! Having the Wireless Carplay feature will be nice for passengers who may have an iPhone.

After unboxing the KIT-CAM1, it's already starting to grow on me. Does appear to be well made. I also ended up buying the Sirius aftermarket tuner.

Everything came in except my front and rear cameras and the Metra Antenna adapter. Hopefully those will make it on Monday. The only thing I didn't buy was the converter adapter from aftermarket SirirusXM module to stock antenna. (mainly because shipping was slow for that part). I'm just going to modify the connector by removing the plastic jacket.

I ended up going with this camera for the front and rear:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping to install early next week when I begin vacation! I'll post some pics once I get started.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #14
InfernoMan2011

So just an update. My install is coming together nicely. The KIT-CAM1 really does look nicer installed in the car than it does in the pictures, and I still have the center console out.

After removing the back seat to run wiring for my rear/backup cam, I decided to extend the project and go ahead and replace the rear deck speakers......wow, what a PITA to get to those! lol

For those of you who have installed the KIT-CAM1 with the iDatalink RR already, can anybody confirm if you have to use the aftermarket mic included with your HU? or does the RR retain the factory mic functionality? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this yet, and none of the install videos I've watched seem to cover that.