Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Steve SS

Drives: Camaro SS
Starting problem, like flat battery, BUT not!

Hopefully this has not been asked before, i've checked everywhere with no luck.

I have a 2010 SS. Been very cold the past few weeks and the car started having trouble starting, turned over 4 times and just fired up before what felt like a flat battery. Felt like it was just about to run out of juice but started just in time. Had this before in other cars and just changed the battery and all is good.....

However, I have changed the battery, and the car is still struggling to start. I fear if it does not start on the 4th or 5th turn it will not start at all, but so far has. Before winter it fired up first go!

Checked wiring, and the recall fault and can't see anything.

Big problem, i'm over the pond, in Sunny England, so no support what so ever!

Any one have any ideas, before i replace the starter motor??
Steve SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6 IOM FlwMstr
I had a few no starts and I pulled my battery and hauled it in to get tested and they said all was well with it. Sometimes the car would start and sometimes not. I hauled the car into service finally and had them have a look at it. They said the grounding bolt was shorting out. I am pretty sure they were referring to the bolt as shown in the picture (lower right). Granted I have a 2LT RS but I would assume you may have a similar bolt on your SS.

They said it is a specialized bolt and had to order me a new one. I showed it to me and the threads were broken down due to arcing. As a quick fix they added some dielectric grease and put it back in and all was well. I came back when the bolt came in and they put the new one in. All at no charge.

But going forward he is concerned that the threads in the body of the car were also breaking down from the arcing so it may give me problems in the future. If it does he will weld a nut on the underside of the body.
Attached Images

NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks

You know...After posting the picture I am noticing 2 threaded studs in the lower right. I wonder if adding some nuts onto those would help the electrical connection instead of just relying on the one bolt.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Steve SS

Thanks for the quick reply, is the pic by the battery in the trunk?
Old 12-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SS View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, is the pic by the battery in the trunk?
Yes. I was standing behind the car looking down at the battery in the trunk when I took the picture. I guess I should have not cropped off the battery in the shot.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Steve SS

Thanks for the reply over Xmas, had a good look and all looks good. Thinking it has to be a weak starter motor???
Dread to think of the shipping and tax costs on this!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Sounds like a starter issue.
I wish there was a better answer
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Check to make sure the starter bolts aren't backing out, too. My car sounded like it was having a hard time starting and it was because one of the starter bolts was backed out almost half an inch.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Steve SS

Thanks Shibbs, will check that. Checked over all wiring and all looks good. Only when cold i get the problem. Think i'll to get a starter. Does anyone know a good place to get one, when i say good, either in Europe or someone that ships at reasonable prices and will sticker it as used to avoid the huge import taxes????
Old 12-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
There was a tsb on the 2010 model involving the battery cable. Something about wearing through the cable wrap causing a short....running the battery down.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Thanks Shibbs, will check that. Checked over all wiring and all looks good. Only when cold i get the problem. Think i'll to get a starter. Does anyone know a good place to get one, when i say good, either in Europe or someone that ships at reasonable prices and will sticker it as used to avoid the huge import taxes????
You should be able to pick up a starter from a Holden or Vauxhall VXR with a 6.2l V8 that should be the same.

If I were at home, I'd be able to check, my my work locks down the internet pretty badly...
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Steve SS

Avenging Orange, do you know if that was the recall for the cable by the starter motor, or else where?? I've checked by the starter and nothing out of the norm.

Shibbs, is it defiantly 100% the same starter, i know the engines L99 and LS3 are the same in both, but wasn't sure if the setup / belts etc were different?? Would be ideal as we can get Vaxhuall bits here.... Although not many V8 dealers :( This country is way to green. At least we are doing our bits to help warm the planet

Thanks again to all those that are reading this and helping out, without you lot we would be stuck with the Eco Euro boxes!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Avenging Orange, do you know if that was the recall for the cable by the starter motor, or else where?? I've checked by the starter and nothing out of the norm.

Shibbs, is it defiantly 100% the same starter, i know the engines L99 and LS3 are the same in both, but wasn't sure if the setup / belts etc were different?? Would be ideal as we can get Vaxhuall bits here.... Although not many V8 dealers :( This country is way to green. At least we are doing our bits to help warm the planet

Thanks again to all those that are reading this and helping out, without you lot we would be stuck with the Eco Euro boxes!
Actually it was a recall. After reading, it may not fit your issue. But here is a thread. Its old and they claim all owners were notified and all issues fixed, but I just saw a current post where someone got a battery cable recall for a 2010.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...y+cable+recall
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Steve SS

Thanks again for all your help. Stripped the starter motor today, bushes are burnt!!

Are there uprated start motors out there to fit our cars? Anyone know where to look??

Also, what could have caused the issue in the first place?? Only a few mods, 15,000 miles, no charger etc??? Any ideas i'd love to hear....