Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Cerberos

Drives: 1976 camaro
what throttle and intake manifold?

Its a 2010 auto, it has vararam intake, headers, 3" slp exhaust, no cats, 650cc injectors, dsx flex fuel conversion, a tsp stage 1 vvt cam and a circle D converter, im putting down 445whp 425wtq on e85, just ordered tsp cnc ported heads they are on the way, but reviewing my last logs i can see the MAP sensor reading start up at 100kpa and as revs go up they go down to 97-96 kpa, im guessing with the ported heads this will get worst.

so im wondering what throttle body and intake manifold to go with?
is the nick williams 102mm too big?
i see a lot of Bo White stuff on forums, but no seller?

appart from the fast intake manifold what other options do i have?
Cerberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Not sure on intake, or if one is even needed. You can reach out to Bo White. He is a member on here that ports stock tb's.

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Gpi does porting and rod mod on stock ls3 intake that get very good reviews and results, and as mentioned Bo White PTB also get great reviews and results.

There is the vmax PTB that get mixed reviews of good throttle response and others of not notice much power gain

BBK makes a true 95mm PTB that gets mixed reviews of good power gains and poor quality control on other reviews

Honesty I'd have to recommend Bo White and Gpi because of high quality control and really never seen a bad reviews from anyone that has there product's
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
The nick Williams 102mm are for fast 102mm intake or blowers with snouts ported to 102mm , there not really any use on a ls3 intake manifold
Old 05-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Cerberos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
The nick Williams 102mm are for fast 102mm intake or blowers with snouts ported to 102mm , there not really any use on a ls3 intake manifold
theres a guy local to me that parted a high horsepower build and has a barely used fast 102 intake manifold, he said his tuner didnt like it so he took it off without much use and he will let me test it and see if theres any improvement with the fast and stock tb
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Gpi does porting and rod mod on stock ls3 intake that get very good reviews and results, and as mentioned Bo White PTB also get great reviews and results.

There is the vmax PTB that get mixed reviews of good throttle response and others of not notice much power gain

BBK makes a true 95mm PTB that gets mixed reviews of good power gains and poor quality control on other reviews

Honesty I'd have to recommend Bo White and Gpi because of high quality control and really never seen a bad reviews from anyone that has there product's
This. GPI can port/rod mod your stock manifold and I've heard they do a great job. As far as PTB's go, you'll never really see a power gain with them. Something negligible if you do. More for throttle response and better flow. Your choices are VMAX being the cheapest for $150 with a core exchange, next up being Bo's stage 2 ported TB which has great reviews, and then you can go with a Nick Williams 102 ported TB, BBK, or Big Mouth by FAST.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Your not going to gain much with the heads even you went with the lowest gain cam, the Fast is best on a larger cube stroker or ls7 and you going to flex fuel..well that's something that must be in your area but not something I would do as its no where here and I daily drive, good luck. I would avoid the corn and go big on the cam as the heads you do not need so much....you don't need to improve the flow your weak on the build and trying to make up with corn is a case of they must have that all over on your island...you should just do a vmax, and note that you will most likely gain zilch-5 hp from heads as your not stroked, your not high lift/ long duration cam just mild build, and a cam makes a big difference that cannot be overcome by throwing money at the other mods.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Cerberos

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Your not going to gain much with the heads even you went with the lowest gain cam, the Fast is best on a larger cube stroker or ls7 and you going to flex fuel..well that's something that must be in your area but not something I would do as its no where here and I daily drive, good luck. I would avoid the corn and go big on the cam as the heads you do not need so much....you don't need to improve the flow your weak on the build and trying to make up with corn is a case of they must have that all over on your island...you should just do a vmax, and note that you will most likely gain zilch-5 hp from heads as your not stroked, your not high lift/ long duration cam just mild build, and a cam makes a big difference that cannot be overcome by throwing money at the other mods.
Around here we have 88 octane fuel thats 2.52$/gal, then we have some 100 octane fuel at 9.47 $/gal (theres no 91 or 93), e85 is not sold at the pump but i can get it at 6.31 $/gal, so it makes sense to get the flex fuel kit seeing how bolt ons camaros get 20 whp just changing fuel from 88 octanes to a 88/100 octane blend that should be around 93 octanes, so it makes sense to just blend e85 to get that 93 octanes from a economic stand point, and just let the ECU compensate for the change in fuels in case i cant get any e85 at some point.

just tuned yesterday, heads where worth a dissapointing 10 whp extra, MAP sensor reading went down to 94 kpa at the end of the run, since its creating vacuum and the heads are ported that must mean the stock TB or the stock manifold should be the bottleneck, having the chance to test without having to pay for the part is an opportunity i cant let just go by without taking advantage of it.

when i ordered the heads it was that or a 417 forged shortblock, how much horsepower are you putting down to the wheels ?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
WOW!!! You chose heads over a 417 stroker?!?! That block would have been too tempting for me..

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
Cerberos

Quote:
Originally Posted by G701LE View Post
WOW!!! You chose heads over a 417 stroker?!?! That block would have been too tempting for me..
well, i can still get the stroker kit later, i just cant swing it all at the same time
Old 05-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
10-15rwhp is what Id expect out of ported heads with small mild cams, I gained about 15 with my old 218/229 cam. Not everyone likes big cams. Mild cam and ported heads is a nice setup. I liked mine and would have kept the setup if I hadnt went for the 10 second bracket.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
10-15rwhp is what Id expect out of ported heads with small mild cams, I gained about 15 with my old 218/229 cam. Not everyone likes big cams. Mild cam and ported heads is a nice setup. I liked mine and would have kept the setup if I hadnt went for the 10 second bracket.
So What would you expect from a. 226/236. 629/629. Cam? Maybe I need a new tuner......

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Its a/f and timing for the most part on tuning wot.
Big hp gains off ported heads arent the norm with rectangle port heads amd street cams. 20rwhp is a good gain off ported heads with a sizeable street cam.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I am only getting about...lets see..wow Trumps speech is a home run to the arabs...lets see photo bucket.....

now this is hand written on the bottom the comparison between a much milder cam in a larger engine with ported heads and one with a stock engine and a go big or go home 235/ 239 cam from TSP which used to be .639/.623 with a 112 LSA versus my new cam and engine a 428 stroker with 11 to 1 and a milder stage three from cam motion with a 8620 core broken in right with driven racing br30 oil its specs I custom made .010 larger on the intake because its a stroker and I did not want to starve it so much but I have to be money conscious as I just had to do a bankruptcy my step daughters college education in biology and neuroscience hit another bump in the road transferring her papers and she took another quarter off because of it causing Sallie Mae the beeeachh whos private loans now to say hey wheres our money; we want it now so I and my wife are both paying 1900 a month each paying things down for 5 years until its manageable and all our credit is paid off at 60% on the dollar but the loans will only be slightly paid down at 100 grand....during this period.

I in other words went small to stay safer for the duration until I have the money back again..5 years of poor..I anticipated this nightmare and went small for my budget to survive the years it will take until I can infuse money again as in maybe some ls7 heads small bore from mast, a airforce intake , 102 etc... so the stroker has a mild cam, 226 234 .613 and .578 and 114+4 fairly good for torque cam very slightly better street manners.

I am a old motorhead, sure I can give up 50 hp to gain all across the board with the averages and not feel bad compared to the cam my engine desires more like the hot street or torquey stroker with vast duration and gulping gas one with 238/246 duration one with 232/242 and both with more lift. SO as Bo said your not gaining much with the heads, you should have went larger cubes if your just going for faster as its Torque that moves you ...HP just show how hard it works making that torque in other words.

MY hp now is lower final top end numbers but my Torque is way higher, what matters to me now is the averages and I am broke...LOL I could have went 416 and lower compression which is not much to some in a few fractions of inch but I am all about Naturally aspirated power and maybe someday some spray way down the road. I know I left fifty horse and close in torque on the table not going big and that's all right with me, my torque definitely kicks butt compared to all out high HP numbers with stock cubes.

I feel it in my seat of the pant every time I have to keep it in the lines not getting fishy and the graphs prove it out and someday about 4 years and 8 months form now I will be able to get back into modifying it with a lot more money and talking cash.... and the daughter will be out of college not working two crap jobs and going to college also so she can afford to pay her way as she kind of is now more as the loans are in her name.

So I went from 491 hp and 448 torque too 483 torque and 476 hp and it feels so much more powerful its like stock to built all over again in a way, my scribbles I note were wrong I dropped 15 hp but gained 35 torque in final numbers, its not the final number that matter though its that giant torque plateau and how it about 400 ft lbs off the line and thats what moves a heavy Chevy..I am a guy who stroked out a few 400 SBC in my day and may again..and the costs...so much cheaper.... SO torque versus HP take the torque any day and everyday ...and you will be the winner. Good Luck, increased flow demands the need for it and with a mild cam and milder build the gains off of porting are I know minimal but can be so much more effective when going big. I had no choice but to go with ported stockers as my stock heads dropped a valve..long story...and the short block I wanted was 5 grand.

You will note I start off milder cammed with about 20 more hp and 40 more torque right off the bat down low in the range I need it to daily drive, but its also nice all around...

SO I actually intentionally made my engine much stronger yet have less high end power with cam that does not just go to the moon looking for high HP numbers as they are not what moves you, Torque is, and where I drive.... those average gains are all across the board except for the very top for HP and that's no real sacrifice except stupid people bragging rights..... Give me a torque monster and I will eat the HP monster and leave them a streaming heap. But playing it safe, that's more of the game for a milder build and a milder cam and easier on the trunnions most likely and definitely the springs.. my old springs were .675, now I am running .650 and could be milder but .... hey they get thrown out around 25 k on the cam anyway and I am hoping to throw more into it then , a lot more. And that 500 hp line , big friggin deal, its that 500 torque I am looking to get and I will no biggy, just money and smarts.
BTW that's a 235/239 cam with just stainless power headers, a Cold air inductions CAI, and high flow cats tuned right. It was always a better cam than the night fury which had its numbers altered over time too and its just a name like the raped ape gotta go pulling a freight train absurd insano top end power grunt monster thumpa wumpa juicy lucy cam........ Its in the performance and numbers, and a mustang is load bearing and done right the standard in SAE for the dyno industry.... no fake numbers, and what the others base their dynos on with correct weather station input and correction factor set to the right numbers...no fake out fifteen HP high STD read out, no guy changing things to make your ego larger, and for gods sake no data smoothing to hide problems and that's the way it should be...load bearing and righteous. And MR.WONG he is one smart cookie, with two electrical engineering degrees a good guy with the stock GM software/hardware and HP tuning and his facebook page a drool fest especially for a one man shop having a SEMA entry and the long line of customers like me waiting months to get chance to let him tweak our rides, mines in his book in a couple places, he is worth the money especially when you only have a car port in the rain...LOL

Last edited by christianchevell; 05-21-2017 at 10:53 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote