Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #1
2kwik
So anxious.

Drives: Awaiting my 2010 SS
I don't want to wait for HUD... (not a rant, just a question)

If we buy a camaro next spring, do you think we will be able to buy and get the HUD accessory installed once it comes out next December? I am really interested in having one but i do not want to wait basically an entire year just to have that one accessory... But if i do have to wait, then i guess i do have to wait.... what'd you guys think?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Anything is possible. Just not easy or cheap. Ton's of people have added the HUd to GP's sold without them. Though you generally get lowers quality installs. The Console in the GP is totally different with the HUD so without it the controls are out of place. But it DOES work.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Yeah I'm just like you, I want to buy the car very soon but I want the HUD. So I will continue to save then buy when the HUDs out!
linkwpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
Yeah I'm just like you, I want to buy the car very soon but I want the HUD. So I will continue to save then buy when the HUDs out!
Me too. I hope they figured out that this option needs to be a much higher priority than it has been.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik View Post
If we buy a camaro next spring, do you think we will be able to buy and get the HUD accessory installed once it comes out next December? I am really interested in having one but i do not want to wait basically an entire year just to have that one accessory... But if i do have to wait, then i guess i do have to wait.... what'd you guys think?
I want HUD too, but we won't know until spring how easy or hard a system will be to install.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
I too am waiting for HUD and won't be suprised if it becomes available earlier than when they're saying. December '09 is the worst case scenario for GM. This is PR 101, it's far better than to say it will be late and deliver it early, than the other way around. Anyone who would hack up the dashboard of their brand new Camaro just because they couldn't wait a few extra months needs to have their head examined IMO. You will probably have to replace the windshield as well. Corvettes with HUD have a special windshield and I hear it is VERY expensive, I don't expect the Camaro to be any different.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Waiting wouldn't just get you a HUD, it could also get you a lower transaction price. Just something to add to consideration.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
2kwik
So anxious.

Drives: Awaiting my 2010 SS
Looks like i'll just have to stick with plan A and wait... oh well... more anticipation=more excitement
Old 08-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I too am waiting for HUD and won't be suprised if it becomes available earlier than when they're saying. December '09 is the worst case scenario for GM. This is PR 101, it's far better than to say it will be late and deliver it early, than the other way around. Anyone who would hack up the dashboard of their brand new Camaro just because they couldn't wait a few extra months needs to have their head examined IMO. You will probably have to replace the windshield as well. Corvettes with HUD have a special windshield and I hear it is VERY expensive, I don't expect the Camaro to be any different.
how do you think they put it in at the factory? all they do is cut the dash and put a trim piece over it. After having a HUd then no HUd then another car ith a HUD it's highly overrated.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
drranu

Drives: 4 wheels
Back when I had my 2000 Camaro SS, I wanted a HUD. So I built one. I don't know what communications protocol the OBD-II port on the new Camaro will use, but if it's VPW, my HUD will work on it.

I made all the plans free for anyone to use as I'm not too interested in selling them. I'd rather "give it to the people" than have it go to waste. It's not an overnight DIY project; you need some serious skill to make one of these.

It should work with almost any 1996 and later GM car (any VPW based communications protocol).

Here's the site with all the info and downloads on how you can build one. Please share it with your friends.

http://sites.google.com/site/ehudv2/

Have fun.

Projecting at night.

All display elements on.

What it looks like on the front:
drranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
how do you think they put it in at the factory? all they do is cut the dash and put a trim piece over it. After having a HUd then no HUd then another car ith a HUD it's highly overrated.
no way in hell they dont have a seperate dash piece for the hud dashes
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
So the HUD won't be available until the 2011 model basically?

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
So the HUD won't be available until the 2011 model basically?
That's the last thing they were saying.

Maybe we can send them drranu's email and he can share his work with them to kinds speed up the process?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
There are many guys who have added HUD to their Corvettes. If you search the Corvette forum you can see detailed explainations of the procedures and cost. None of these guys have changed the windsheild and all report good results without having to do so. I beleive most of them are spending nearly 1k to do the upgrade. The Corvette has the harness in all of their cars so it is a matter of tearing the entire dash apart to get to the harness and get the unit mounted. Personally, I won't buy the car till the HUD is availible because it will drive me crazy to get on without it. I also prefer factory installed stuff versus doing it myself. For those who cannot or don't want to wait I think that it will be possible but the question will likely be for what cost. I believe most guys buy their HUDs from GM Parts Direct and the guy that works there knows how to put all the parts together so they have everything. He may be able to help out when the time comes.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote