Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #589
ttedesco

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Its a 14 1LE, stock LS3 with just a dynosteve tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Ok help me help you, What car, engine, trans, and current mods?
ttedesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #590
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttedesco View Post
Its a 14 1LE, stock LS3 with just a dynosteve tune.
Your 1LE already has a ZL-1 pump and tank, however the fuel system control module is not tuned to take advantage of the pump.

I would recommend Injector Dynamics ID1050x , a 3 bar map sensor, TR7IX plugs, MSD wires, and our JRE Fuel system control module if you want to continue to tune with SCT.

I don't know what parts exactly make up the kit you have so I can't predict what power it will make.

If everything is right 600 RWHP is reachable although will be right on the edge on 93 octane.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #591
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
based solely off the force induction tunes I've paid for over the last couple years, they all seem to start pulling 1 degree of timing at 140. At 203 mine pulls 8 degrees.

With the centri blowers I've run, I have never seen over 137 degrees on a 93 degree day doing back to back runs. Normally I'm well below 120.

I'm not a tuner, just speaking from limited experience. Maybe Ted will elaborate.
Most of the paid (and other) E85 tuners I've tried to corner about this won't answer with any specifics or confidence. Sure, GM has some conservative timing pull in the IAT table. When 16-18psi boost (heat of compression), I used to start pulling a degree or two around 140*F, then ramp up to 4-5* timing around 180*F. With the bigger turbos and the capability to pump up to 26-28psi (more heat by compression), I've relaxed and haven't started pulling a degree until 176*F, with 5* at 203*F. Looking at a log from a 1/4-mile run, I hit 209*F (pulling -4.8*) with nothing detrimental appearing. Since, I've tried 100% water injection to see how it could cool IAT, and have happily seen IAT's around 135*F spraying water at 27psi boost, no timing being pulled, and no other detrimental effects.

Be curious as to what Ted would say..... not sure if he'll chime in about this as it's one of those mystical demonic value things that I'm not sure anyone has solid results of hurting a motor (or as far as the many I've inquired). But I'm just one of those end users with HPTuners. I've even had some ricer guys jump in and say if you're under 280*F, you're golden.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #592
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Most of the paid (and other) E85 tuners I've tried to corner about this won't answer with any specifics or confidence. Sure, GM has some conservative timing pull in the IAT table. When 16-18psi boost (heat of compression), I used to start pulling a degree or two around 140*F, then ramp up to 4-5* timing around 180*F. With the bigger turbos and the capability to pump up to 26-28psi (more heat by compression), I've relaxed and haven't started pulling a degree until 176*F, with 5* at 203*F. Looking at a log from a 1/4-mile run, I hit 209*F (pulling -4.8*) with nothing detrimental appearing. Since, I've tried 100% water injection to see how it could cool IAT, and have happily seen IAT's around 135*F spraying water at 27psi boost, no timing being pulled, and no other detrimental effects.

Be curious as to what Ted would say..... not sure if he'll chime in about this as it's one of those mystical demonic value things that I'm not sure anyone has solid results of hurting a motor (or as far as the many I've inquired). But I'm just one of those end users with HPTuners. I've even had some ricer guys jump in and say if you're under 280*F, you're golden.
Let me say this manufacturers spend millions developing the strategy to protect the engine in its as delivered configuration.

You first have to be an engine builder and have a full understanding of all the how and why the changes made for performance will effect that strategy.

We tune the main tables to find optimum spark advance under given set of conditions and the IAT tables are there to adjust the advance to compensate for the accelerated burn rate of the mixture as temps rise.

People look at is as a power killer but it is not, it is there to fine tune spark advance as temps rise.

As intake air temps rise the fuel burns faster, so it needs less lead to hit the target peak cylinder pressure at 15 degrees after top dead center so it can do the most work on the crank.

I can talk about this subject for hours but this should give you a basic understanding.

Ted.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #593
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Let me say this manufacturers spend millions developing the strategy to protect the engine in its as delivered configuration.

You first have to be an engine builder and have a full understanding of all the how and why the changes made for performance will effect that strategy.

We tune the main tables to find optimum spark advance under given set of conditions and the IAT tables are there to adjust the advance to compensate for the accelerated burn rate of the mixture as temps rise.

People look at is as a power killer but it is not, it is there to fine tune spark advance as temps rise.

As intake air temps rise the fuel burns faster, so it needs less lead to hit the target peak cylinder pressure at 15 degrees after top dead center so it can do the most work on the crank.

I can talk about this subject for hours but this should give you a basic understanding.

Ted.
I get what you're saying, Ted. Increased IAT results in a shorter combustion duration (with lower O2 concentration as well) thus leading to a less complete mixing process and "incomplete" combustion (comparatively). So, the moral is to either keep IAT's relatively low or to effectively reduce timing to target peak torque (or cylinder pressure) if IATs go high. I'm trying the keep IAT's lower with 100% water injection. Just need to watch how much I'm spraying so as to not get cylinder spark quench with too much.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #594
Warship2k15

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I’m not answering for ted but wouldn’t a longer burn time even with advancing the timing actually make less Hp.
I would think that there is a fine line between between to quick a burn or to long.
Which is why people mix it and don’t run pure water.
Warship2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #595
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warship2k15 View Post
I’m not answering for ted but wouldn’t a longer burn time even with advancing the timing actually make less Hp.
I would think that there is a fine line between between to quick a burn or to long.
Which is why people mix it and don’t run pure water.
As long as peak cylinder pressure occurs at 15 Degrees after top dead center you make optimum power with no damage.

Adjusting timing is accounting for burn rate.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #596
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Ted. quick maybe question

I have 2013 ss 1LE
Long tube headers , cold air , stage 4 btr cam, upgraded oil pump , lifters , rods ,
Just wondering if I need to change the cam to put a Lsa super charger on.
I understand there are many way better setups to choose but I’m looking for a factory look and a little more push not going crazy.
Thanks in advance.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #597
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
Ted. quick maybe question

I have 2013 ss 1LE
Long tube headers , cold air , stage 4 btr cam, upgraded oil pump , lifters , rods ,
Just wondering if I need to change the cam to put a Lsa super charger on.
I understand there are many way better setups to choose but I’m looking for a factory look and a little more push not going crazy.
Thanks in advance.
I would suggest changing the cam to something more appropriate for supercharger application as you would be blowing your boost out the tail pipe.

Fuel system upgrades and large injectors will be necessary.

Contact me directly for parts and tuning.

Ted.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #598
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Thanks Ted. So when it’s time.A blower cam bigger injectors and fuel system. I’m assuming the fuel pump will be ok.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:55 AM   #599
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
Thanks Ted. So when it’s time.A blower cam bigger injectors and fuel system. I’m assuming the fuel pump will be ok.
With the addition of a Fuel pump voltage booster and FSCM tuning or replacement.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #600
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Hey Ted,

How much HP increase have you guys seen on 5th gen ZL1s with your 75rwhp kit + your LSA rough idle race cam kit?
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s

Last edited by Shodown; 03-14-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #601
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Hey Ted,

How much HP increase have you guys seen on 5th gen ZL1s with your 75rwhp kit + your LSA rough idle race cam kit?
We have never done a cam with a 75 RWHP kit because you need all the supporting mods that are in our 125 RWHP package

So if you have 75 package your next move is our 75-125 upgrade.

Then add the cam.

The cam is worth anywhere from 50-150 RWHP depending on combo.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #602
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
We have never done a cam with a 75 RWHP kit because you need all the supporting mods that are in our 125 RWHP package

So if you have 75 package your next move is our 75-125 upgrade.

Then add the cam.

The cam is worth anywhere from 50-150 RWHP depending on combo.
That makes sense. I essentially have all the supporting mods in the 125 rwhp package just missing the 18% pulley. I’d probably have to upgrade the fuel pump again to an aux pump though.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote