Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
DIY: How to EASILY place LONG DETAILED instructions in your DIY.

Not long ago I built a VERY detailed DIY. It took me a long time to get it just right and take all the pictures and insert them into the document. I built it in WORD. I don't have ACROBAT. After I was done, I realized how large the file was, it was 28 meg (LOTS of large pictures), and was 24 pages long, WOW and our site only allows a MAX size of 585.9 KB for word files. OH CRAP! then I remembered I had a FREE ON-LINE Word to Acrobat file converter! This works like a CHAMP! and we are allowed up to 2.77 megs for Acrobat files.
After I converted my 28 meg word file, it ended up being a 682 KB Acrobat file.

SO, if you have built a long/detailed DIY or plan on building one, think about it, it would be VERY handy to be able to print it out for use when doing the MOD/INSTALL.
So first build your DIY in word, then convert it to acrobat and save it. Then just start off your DIY with a short discription of your DIY instructions and attach your instructions in the form of the Acrobat file you just converted.

and HERES HOW TO DO IT!

After you build your word file and save it onto your computer, go to the http://www.doc2pdf.net/ site.

At the bottom of the page you will find a BLUE box where you will find the "CONVERT THIS DOCUMENT" and "BROWSE" boxes. Find your file and select it, then simply hit the "CONVERT DOCUMENT" button.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 5146
Size:  79.5 KB

in a matter if SECONDS a "FILE DOWNLOAD" box will pop up where you can save your new converted file to your computer.

Name:  file download.jpg
Views: 5054
Size:  55.0 KB

DONE!! Hope this helps and will give you the ability to put some long/detained instructions here that you can print out for use during your install.

AND ALWAYS keep a copy of the original WORD file, so if you need or want to edit it for some reason, you can. Then you repeat the process, make a new version, and upload and replace the original. PIECE OF CAKE!!

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 10-04-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

If anyone has any questions.....feel free to post them up or send me a PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
For all of you that don't know, you can create a .pdf file for free. The program is called CutePDF. It is a free download call CutePDF Writer that basically installs a printer called "CutePDF", you select that printer when printing your document and it will come up and ask you where you wish to save your document and it will be saved as a .pdf. You can visit their website HERE.

Hope this helps !!
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro21 View Post
For all of you that don't know, you can create a .pdf file for free. The program is called CutePDF. It is a free download call CutePDF Writer that basically installs a printer called "CutePDF", you select that printer when printing your document and it will come up and ask you where you wish to save your document and it will be saved as a .pdf. You can visit their website HERE.

Hope this helps !!
cool.....just another way to do it......as the instructions in post #1 are also FREE. I like it for the simple fact that I can go ANYWHERE, I have the need to have this ability when working on a computer which is not MINE, such as one at work, where I can not download or install software, AND I don't need to install any softwear on any of the 4 computers at the house either.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 09-08-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Good stuff

Good stuff - will come in handy for many.Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
ClutchKargo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
+1 for CutePDF

Been using it for along time, it's a great addon for any PC
Solo Mach XL CatBack w/ J Pipe - Texas Speed LT Headers - 3M Nano-Carbon Polyester Tint 20% - 3M Crystalline 90% Tint on Windshield - Azentek Smart Mirror w/Back up Camera - CAI Intake - ADM Scoop - APEX Washer Tank Kit - PowderPro Ported & Polished TB
ClutchKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
Damn! I wish I had read this thread before I just spent 3hrs doing the same thing you did. Story of my life
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
you can also use a free pdf creator called PrimoPDF.
web site is same as its name, or google it. totally free.
I use Primo over Cute, if I am 'printing' a detailed cad drawing to email or one that needs to be printed very large, like 4' x 6'.
the Cads own PDF writer, and Cute both will sometimes create a PDF that has some 'blank' areas for no reason...its like trying to print out something so hugh that you run out of ram and it prints blanks randomly on paper....so PrimoPDF is great for creating very large jobs from any application. if it can handle 1 million sq ft warehouse cad blueprints, it can handle DIY's!
danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Top~Dog

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Or you can right click - in the MS Word menu, select save as - then select PDF. No need for any other programs.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top~Dog View Post
Or you can right click - in the MS Word menu, select save as - then select PDF. No need for any other programs.
This is TRUE......that is if you have MS WORD 2010. being able to save in PDF Format was a new addition to Word, or actually any of the programs in the Office Suite 2010.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
BOOMER CAMARO

Drives: 2012 2SS 6 speed CRMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
This is TRUE......that is if you have MS WORD 2010. being able to save in PDF Format was a new addition to Word, or actually any of the programs in the Office Suite 2010.
Right about Microsoft Word but not being a fan of Gate'sware you can download Open Office (free) and do everything that Microsoft Office can do!
Old 05-31-2020, 02:53 AM   #12
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
How about a place to HOST .PDF files so you can get them to people who need
them?

https://www.keepandshare.com
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote