Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Frozen infotainment screen at startup?

Hey guys, couldn't find this issue with a search.
I started our 2015 SS yesterday and the infotainment screen froze blue, no welcome or displays at all.
Put car in Reverse, backup camera worked perfect.
Put car in Drive, display screen came up Good, just like it's supposed to.

Anyone else have this happen and what was the remedy?
Going to check with dealer tomorrow.

Thanks, Bob

EDIT: Found a couple threads on this issue but no resolution to what causes it.

Last edited by klaatu barada nikto; 11-15-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: found a couple threads with this issue.
klaatu barada nikto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
flyby191

Drives: 2014 V-6 RS Camaro
My 2014 Camaro just hit 30k and I am having the same issue although not at start-up. After about 5-10 minutes the screen will freeze, can't turn it off-on and channel select doesn't work. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but I know I'll hear 'we can't replicate the issue'. There should be a TSB started on this issue from GM as others have had similar complaints. I will taken mine in eventually.
flyby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #3
chuckg57

Drives: 2015 1LT/RS convertible
I have about 9000 miles on mine and from the first week it's had a random intermittent problem with the radio. Depending on it's mood it has frozen (with no controls), gone into a complete reboot, lost the back up camera a couple of times, black screen but continues playing at current volume and station (also with no controls). There are more variations but those are the main ones. I took it to my dealer in September and GM has a service bulletin out saying they are working on it but for right now its tough cookies, deal with it. I dropped by the dealer a couple of weeks ago for an update and they have a different bulletin out but it's the same answer. Since it does something weird every 3 or 4 hours of playing time I am starting to lose my sense of humor on this, for the kind of cash I dropped for a new ride I should not be required to put up with a radio that works when it wants to.

There has to be more than just the three of us that have this issue and I wonder how many others are out there and just have not said anything.
chuckg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

UPDATE

Service manager called me and said they had "an update" for this problem. I took the car in and the tech couldn't get the car to take it at first. He told me later he disconnected the battery, connected it back then the update went in with no problem.

So far everything working like it should.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg57 View Post
I have about 9000 miles on mine and from the first week it's had a random intermittent problem with the radio. Depending on it's mood it has frozen (with no controls), gone into a complete reboot, lost the back up camera a couple of times, black screen but continues playing at current volume and station (also with no controls). There are more variations but those are the main ones. I took it to my dealer in September and GM has a service bulletin out saying they are working on it but for right now its tough cookies, deal with it. I dropped by the dealer a couple of weeks ago for an update and they have a different bulletin out but it's the same answer. Since it does something weird every 3 or 4 hours of playing time I am starting to lose my sense of humor on this, for the kind of cash I dropped for a new ride I should not be required to put up with a radio that works when it wants to.

There has to be more than just the three of us that have this issue and I wonder how many others are out there and just have not said anything.
Unacceptable that folks just have to "deal with it". GM approved the design of this system so it is up to them to make sure the customer is satisfied with it.
I know some people have had problems with the infotainment screen on the C7 Corvette.

I understood this update to be recent for our cars. Your dealer is telling you "to deal with it" but they should have access to the same update my dealer has.

Good luck.

Bob
Old 12-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
chuckg57

That's good news, I will contact my dealer on Monday.

Thanks, Chuck
Old 12-05-2015, 01:45 AM   #7
Shawno72

Drives: 2015 Black 2LT RS M6
I'm having issues with only 4K miles. Do you happen to have the update number?
Shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Looking at the work order it states in part:

Bulletin Check found Update PIC6106B for faults.
Tech had problems with the update installing in the car. He had to call TCSC and TAC for help per PIC6106B.

Battery was disconnected overnight to clear modules.

Update was installed in vehicle.

Hope this helps!
Bob
Old 12-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
klaatu barada nikto
C5 Best Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg57 View Post
That's good news, I will contact my dealer on Monday.

Thanks, Chuck
You're welcome. Let us know how it goes!

Bob
Old 02-12-2016, 02:18 AM   #10
chuckg57

Going down to my dealer on Monday turned into waiting for my next free oil change. The The software fix has been in for about three weeks and it has been error free so it looks like they got it figured out.

Chuck