Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Shayne70

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Chevy Camaro
Different types of carbon fiber?

Hey guys I was looking to get NS-1 stripes for my camaro and I currently have the APR front splitter. Are there different types of carbon fiber that I need to watch out for or will it match my splitter?

Thanks!
Shayne70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #2
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
I don't think so. I think you just gotta watch out for fiber glass.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:45 AM   #3
Shayne70

Yah fiber glass is a whole nother story. But does vinyl carbon fiber textures? Because it's gonna suck if the vinyl I buy is a whole different style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
I don't think so. I think you just gotta watch out for fiber glass.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:00 AM   #4
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Carbon fiber comes in different weave paterns and finishes such as gloss vs raw CF
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #5
Shayne70

Thanks, are there certain ones that are better for the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Carbon fiber comes in different weave paterns and finishes such as gloss vs raw CF
Old 05-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #6
CALLAWAY11

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Callaway
It seems that every company that does carbon fiber has there own weave pattern. On my car I have a carbon fiber on the hood and some valve covers and there not identical. So each company's will be different. And hydro dipped which I would think is the most popular look of carbon fiber on cars is even more diverse. I have a SLP front splitter that has been hydro dipped and it matches my real carbon fiber pretty decent, now if your up really close you can see a difference but from 20 feet or so it's hard to tell. It doesn't bother me it's not exact. I like the look, but my splitter is just a guinea pig to see how I will treat a real carbon fiber splitter and it's not looking good, lol. Lowering your car and adding a splitter is not going so well for me, but I hope that helps a little
2011 Callaway SC572 2SS/RS, TVS 2300 Supercharger, 1-7/8" Kooks LT Headers, Fast 85# injectors, E85 Flex Fuel Conversion, Fore Twin Fuel Pumps, MGW flat stick short throw shifter, McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, Liberty Gears Tremec trans, DSS 1000 hp axles, Nitto NT555r drag radials, 10#'s of boost, 702 rwhp/ 697 torque, Recaro seat upgrade
CALLAWAY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Shayne70

That sounds good, I am not that picky of a person either if it isn't that noticeable. Just wondering, how much did it cost you to hydro-dip your parts with carbon fiber and did you do it yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALLAWAY11 View Post
It seems that every company that does carbon fiber has there own weave pattern. On my car I have a carbon fiber on the hood and some valve covers and there not identical. So each company's will be different. And hydro dipped which I would think is the most popular look of carbon fiber on cars is even more diverse. I have a SLP front splitter that has been hydro dipped and it matches my real carbon fiber pretty decent, now if your up really close you can see a difference but from 20 feet or so it's hard to tell. It doesn't bother me it's not exact. I like the look, but my splitter is just a guinea pig to see how I will treat a real carbon fiber splitter and it's not looking good, lol. Lowering your car and adding a splitter is not going so well for me, but I hope that helps a little
Old 05-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
There are differences in CF... tried to post about them yesterday when you started this thread... but couldn't find anything clear enough.

I can tell you, however, that my Seibon TSII CF hood closely resembles the APR Splitter I purchased a few months ago. The splitter is sitting over there... I haven't installed it yet... haven't found the time to remove the whole bumper just for that and I don't want to risk it falling off. Its quite a 'board' that will definitely act like a wing and supposedly brings triple digits downforce to the front end at speed. But the patterns, you wouldn't notice much of a difference. I know its going to look good when I finally get around to putting it on...

If you're looking to get a wrap, you can just buy plenty of it and wrap whatever you want with it. Real CF tho I know most want to match it all. Right now, I'm having a hell of a time finding a way to get my rear spoiler to match my hood... Wraps are just not quite there and 3dCarbon doesn't make their spoilers in CF.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
Spec
Account Suspended

Also, got any pics of the APR installed on your ride? The pics in your profile show a different one. And any tips on install?

Here are a couple of pics of the APR going in tomorrow... yes! Tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #10
Shayne70

Just don't be afraid to drill holes. I really like the billet bott though with this splitter though because I don't need to drill into the front of the bumper. Just the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Also, got any pics of the APR installed on your ride? The pics in your profile show a different one. And any tips on install?

Here are a couple of pics of the APR going in tomorrow... yes! Tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #11
Shayne70

And another
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #12
Spec
Account Suspended

Nice!! How did you attach the support rods to your grille, did you add cross plates on the inside or anything like that?