Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
CoV

Drives: 2010 SS IOM & 99 SS Black 6M's
personally I down shift and used the engine to brake, and have never had any clutch issues with my gen 4 99 ss camaro, that is a daily driver for at least 5 years... I have always thought that sitting at a light with it in gear and the clutch in was not an issue. I was taught that slipping the clutch too much or just dumping the clutch is what ruins a clutch (which I try to avoid mostly). I regularly take aggressive / spirited takeoffs with no problems.

I always take off in first gear, and take my turns in whatever gear feels the best to me without lugging it and what I feel is a good RPM.

I really want to say that I seem to remember reading in one of my owners manuals (gen4 or gen5) that you should not coast very far in neutral with a manual transmission for some reason.

Do I sometimes coast in neutral or with the clutch in to a stop? Yes. But I normally keep backpressure on the engine.

I could be wrong however about what I thought that I read in the owners manual.