Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: .
Camaro 0 0%
Mustang 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #9157
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I have two questions for you. Does the overall "better vision" that the cabin in the Mustang provides over the Camaro offer you any advantage or disadvantage when racing against other vehicles at the same time? Which one between the two would you prefer as a daily driver?
The vision doesn't bother me at all in the Camaro. I drive the Camaro with the dampers set for the track on the street because the IRS keeps it civil. The track damper settings in the Mustang are a bit rough for daily driving because of the solid rear axle so I dial it down. Dialed down, the Mustang loses that racer's edge. I give the ride quality advantage to the Camaro.

Last week I drove the Camaro to the Woodward Cruise. My wife drove the Mustang. I drive the Camaro because of the ridiculously low front spoiler. It has about 4,500 miles on it and it is still in one piece. My wife wouldn't get 100 miles because she doesn't care to learn about approach angles. Long story short, when I am driving the Mustang I think I am missing something by not driving the Camaro. When I am driving the Camaro I think I am missing something by not driving the Mustang.

These are two FANTASTIC American Muscle Cars that can run with most ANYHTING built in Europe or any where. The really cool thing is they ARE different. That is great because they drive different. They both drive well, but different.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #9158
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I've said it once and I will say it again. when it comes to the 5.0 and SS it's about the drivers and not the cars. Some 5.0 owners want to continue to spread the myth that the 5.0 has topped the SS. From an overall perspective, it is obvious that is not true.
Is it so hard to accept that the current 5.0 has better marks in most categories when compared to the SS. Looks are subjective so beyond that, the numbers tell the tale of the tape here.. It is no myth that the 5.0 is on top in 2011 just as the SS was on top in 2010..
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #9159
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
As I said..when it comes to a recorded 1/4 mile drag race on street tires..

M6 SS vs M6 5.0-Drivers Race
A6 SS vs A6 5.0- 5.0 wins, I know..I've driven both in the same conditions.

The 2011 6 speed automatic 5.0 Mustang is the fastest of the three automatics in the 32-36K price range, period. It isnt "a drivers race". It is a half second faster in the 1/4 on average than my Challenger and a full 3 .10ths faster than the L99 SS I tested.

The M6 SS puts up a fair fight against the M6 5.0, the A6 5.0 clubs the L99 like a baby seal.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #9160
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Is it so hard to accept that the current 5.0 has better marks in most categories when compared to the SS. Looks are subjective so beyond that, the numbers tell the tale of the tape here.. It is no myth that the 5.0 is on top in 2011 just as the SS was on top in 2010..

Sorry, gotta disagree with that one....the 10' SS laid the HAMMER down to the 10 GT.

A drivers race, or .1 advantage isn't exactly laying the wood sir. The myth is that the 5.0 is HAMMERING the SS and that just isn't the case now is it?

**2010 Camaro

0-60 mph - 4.7 seconds

1/4 Mile - 13.0@111 mph

Lateral Acceleration -0.90 g

Figure-8 course - 25.8@0.80 g

**2010 Mustang

0-60 mph - 4.9 seconds

1/4 Mile -13.5@104.2 mph

Lateral Acceleration - 0.95 g

Figure-8 course -25.5 g @0.70 g

And a link to the 11 GT vs the 10 SS ==> http://www.insideline.com/ford/musta...camaro-ss.html

Hmmm looks like the Camaro won that race eh? Dig me out even one review that shows a 10 GT beating an 10 SS. Where is this mythical advantage that the 11 GT has?!?!? Oh wait...that smoking tire guy and a host of Ford Fan boys day it is, so it must be.

These 2 OUTSTANDING cars are neck and neck, why in the hell is this so hard to comprehend?!?!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #9161
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Where is this mythical advantage that the 11 GT has?!?!? Oh wait...that smoking tire guy and a host of Ford Fan boys day it is, so it must be
I guess my experience was isolated and completely pointless? The 5.0 Automatic has a clear and very significant advantage over the L99. Its not mythical..its real. 360+ RWHP and 200+ pounds lighter than a L99 SS putting down 330 RWHP.

Me, a Mopar guy, is saying the Automatic 5.0 has a very real and large advantage over the Automatic R/T and SS.

It isnt a "Mustang > Camaro" or a "Camaro> Mustang" situation..the manuals are pretty equal, the automatics are not.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #9162
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:

And a link to the 11 GT vs the 10 SS ==> http://www.insideline.com/ford/musta...camaro-ss.html

Hmmm looks like the Camaro won that race eh?
Sure did summer tires on the SS verse the all season tires on the GT. Putting the GT at a handicap. Now when they quoted their run for the 2011 GT on summer tires, that did beat the SS time, it was not laying the hammer down to the SS.

And I agree the 11 GT vs the 11 SS in manual form is a drivers race with the stang having the slight advantage.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #9163
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
A drivers race, or .1 advantage isn't exactly laying the wood sir. The myth is that the 5.0 is HAMMERING the SS and that just isn't the case now is it?

Hmmm looks like the Camaro won that race eh? Dig me out even one review that shows a 10 GT beating an 10 SS. Where is this mythical advantage that the 11 GT has?!?!? Oh wait...that smoking tire guy and a host of Ford Fan boys day it is, so it must be.

These 2 OUTSTANDING cars are neck and neck, why in the hell is this so hard to comprehend?!?!
I think what the deal is, some traded their SS in and have to keep hammering home that they made the right choice. I really don't care what people want to do, but quit feeding the BS. Now on automatics I don't know the data, I don't follow automatics that closely. 5.0 is a nice car the SS is a nice car can we just leave it at that.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #9164
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
I guess my experience was isolated and completely pointless? The 5.0 Automatic has a clear and very significant advantage over the L99. Its not mythical..its real. 360+ RWHP and 200+ pounds lighter than a L99 SS putting down 330 RWHP.
Me, a Mopar guy, is saying the Automatic 5.0 has a very real and large advantage over the Automatic R/T and SS.

It isnt a "Mustang > Camaro" or a "Camaro> Mustang" situation..the manuals are pretty equal, the automatics are not.
Which I 100% agree with in post # 6125.

I still fail to grasp why both sides don't or won't admit these 2 cars are very close stock for stock.

Who the hell leaves these cars stock anyhow?

This summary from Edmunds sums this whole thing up PERFECTLY!
"The numbers say the 2011 Mustang GT squeaks out a thin win in this comparison test. But it's a win based mostly on the personal preferences of the testers. Slot some guys in with different taste — who value ride quality and deep torque wells over quick reflexes and a zinging power plant — and the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS wins. It's that close. And they're that good."
Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #9165
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Which I 100% agree with in post # 6125.

I still fail to grasp why both sides don't or won't admit these 2 cars are very close stock for stock.
So sorry! Didnt see that post of yours!

I think it just boils down to personal pride. One side doesnt want to admit that the Mustang is now either ahead of the Camaro (Automatics) or dead even, and the other doesnt want to admit that the Camaro was so good that Ford's biggest, best shot so far only ties up the game for manuals..

In the end it comes down to a big

Contest
Old 08-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #9166
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post

In the end it comes down to a big

Contest
You know what, you are so right. Ok, I am done trying to convince you all that my car is WAY better than yours. j/k to you all!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #9167
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:

I think 99.9% of members here would agree that they are very close stock for stock.

I also agree, but I haven't really seen all these members you speak of.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #9168
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I think 99.9% of members here would agree that they are very close stock for stock.

I also agree, but I haven't really seen all these members you speak of.
Then the other .1% must all be in this mega thread
Old 08-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #9169
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I think what the deal is, some traded their SS in and have to keep hammering home that they made the right choice. I really don't care what people want to do, but quit feeding the BS. Now on automatics I don't know the data, I don't follow automatics that closely. 5.0 is a nice car the SS is a nice car can we just leave it at that.
If we all could just live with that, there would be no point in improving over ones competition..lol.. Where is the Edmunds 2011 SS vs 5.0 review? As far as I know there isn't any so by going with all of the other reviewers that have, the Mustang 5.0 wins in every category that is non-subjective.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #9170
BADNESS

Drives: 2010 SS
Ive had both cars and you know what... Neither of them are good enough for a thread being 6200 comments long. Lol im sorry but its true.

2SS/RS LS3
-Intake , Tune ,Thermostat, Exhaust, Hurst Shifter
-Eibach Pro Kit, Forgestar F14, 275/315 Pirellis.
BADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 2011 mustang, 442trumpsall, 5.0, camaro, camaro lost!!!, camaro lost., carthatsucks, corvette, drag, fanboys anonymous, ford, ford mustang, glue factory, gluefactory, gt ss ssrs comparison ford, gtss, mustang, numbers, oldnag, race, tired nag, trolls, video