Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Gigantic traffic jam in China

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...jam/index.html

Think you had a hellish commute this morning? Just be thankful you're not in China, where a traffic jam stretching more than 100 km (62 miles) has forced drivers to keep their feet planted on brake pedals for nine days. The gridlock, which started August 14, involves thousands of trucks between the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region and the Chinese capital of Beijing, according to state media.

Fender-benders and broken-down vehicles are adding to the chaos, state media reported.

Some drivers played cards to pass the time, while others fumed about nearby vendors taking advantage of their predicament by gouging food prices.

continued
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
damn asian drivers... it only takes one per lane to cause a traffic jam like this... jk, maybe...

i really don't see how they could not have planned this better and avoided the whole problem. i always see construction on the freeways, and at times the entire route is shut down. but we never have problems like this.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
i would have hoped they took their foot off the brake pedal after only a few minutes and put it in park! lol
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
damn asian drivers... it only takes one per lane to cause a traffic jam like this... jk, maybe...

i really don't see how they could not have planned this better and avoided the whole problem. i always see construction on the freeways, and at times the entire route is shut down. but we never have problems like this.
They're buying more cars than the US, yet scrapping less of them. That leads to millions of cars getting added to the fleet each and every year. Its probably out pacing their ability to build more roads.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
wow the Chinese language is annoying. Don't play the video.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
wow the Chinese language is annoying. Don't play the video.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
i would have hoped they took their foot off the brake pedal after only a few minutes and put it in park! lol

LMAO.......I was just imagining some guy whose legs were cramping up not knowing what to do.

I thought the traffic here in the Philippines was horrible. I really need to put my HD Pro on my hood and make a video of how bad they drive over here. Atleast in China they stay in their own lanes. Here a 3 lane road always turns into a 6 lane road. LOL.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Berean

Drives: Truck
They probably got confused trying to read those road signs.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They're buying more cars than the US, yet scrapping less of them. That leads to millions of cars getting added to the fleet each and every year. Its probably out pacing their ability to build more roads.
Let's not forget that we've been building organized highway systems for almost a century. They've only recently industrialized and have not had the infrastructure that we have built for generations. As a consequence, they are quickly acquiring the technology we use everyday but have less convenience using it. In this case, they have cars and highways but no back roads or alternate routes to their destinations. Imagine knowing that your normal route to work is blocked and not having any other way to get there.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Let's not forget that we've been building organized highway systems for almost a century. They've only recently industrialized and have not had the infrastructure that we have built for generations. As a consequence, they are quickly acquiring the technology we use everyday but have less convenience using it. In this case, they have cars and highways but no back roads or alternate routes to their destinations. Imagine knowing that your normal route to work is blocked and not having any other way to get there.
You know we are only 234 years old though. How old is China? Most of what we have done has been in the what the last 100 years. Pretty damn impressive.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
You know we are only 234 years old though. How old is China? Most of what we have done has been in the what the last 100 years. Pretty damn impressive.
China is a war-torn society making it hard to know when China ended and begun. The China we know now has only existed for ~50 years...
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
China is a war-torn society making it hard to know when China ended and begun. The China we know now has only existed for ~50 years...
Maybe, but they have been around for a VERY long time. Not our fault they only started to figure it out 50 years ago which coincidently was when our industrialization was kicking ass.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Maybe, but they have been around for a VERY long time. Not our fault they only started to figure it out 50 years ago which coincidently was when our industrialization was kicking ass.
In the late 70s, after they finally realized the failed communist economic policies that haunted their society, they embraced market-based reform which categorized itself as a mixed economy. Ever since then they've become one of the fastest growing economies and are second only the U.S/Japan; however, the gap is still very large in terms of GDP and PPP.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote