Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #43
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The guy that races and wins does so because the oil he uses protected his engine and enabled him to win. Maybe you call that prostitution, I call it a winning product.

Good for you, you go ahead and spend as little as you can on the one thing protecting your engine.
Thanks.

Been doing it for 25 years with no problems.

Actually I have been using Mobil 1 Delvac diesel oil 15W/40 in all my cars. The Camaro will get it when it reaches 10,000 miles. Right now I am using the 5W/30 recommended oil.

I got a buy one get one free special on the Mobil 1 Delvac so it came out to be about $1.50/qt.

Personally if you are spending over $4/qt you are throwing your money away.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #44
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
RP's products meet or exceeds the requirements; read their website. There's a difference between "will" void your warranty and "may" void your warranty. My experience with RP leads me to trust their products. I love the way my car feels and sounds running RP. Considering how many people will spend over $1,000 just to change the sound of their exhaust, I don't consider an extra $40 to improve the performance of the drivetrain a biggie but that's just me. Those of you who want to try RP to see what it does, I highly recommend it. Those of you who feel safer using something else, do what makes you feel safe. There's nothing wrong with Mobile1; I just like RP's products better.
I have read their website, and no where on the website or on their oil bottles is the GM-4718M standard ever even mentioned. So for you to say their products "meet or exceed the requirements" is not fact, it's just your speculation and opinion. And you're right, their is a difference between "may" and "will", but do you really want to have to argue that if you ever need warranty work. Again, just because YOU say it meets the requirements does not make it true. The dealership is going to side with whatever is in the owner's manual, not you, just because you like the stuff.
You will "probably" never have a problem. I guess if you're a gambler, go ahead and take that chance. Whatever, like I said, to each his own. Void your warranty, I don't care!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #45
JesseJames

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
RP's products meet or exceeds the requirements; read their website.
To be honest, why take the utter complete word of a website that is trying to sell you something... and at a higher price then its rivals?

ACCORDING to independant lab studies like Blackstone, many sythetic oils are close to each other when it comes to protecting your engine. I use Mobile 1 but was suprised that Penz Plat is JUST as good in tests. Looks like I i'll be switiching to the slightly cheaper oil
JesseJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #46
Ntimad8rs

Drives: 2SS/RS 6M ABM & GMC 2500HD
RP not 4718

Quote:
RP's products meet or exceeds the requirements; read their website. There's a difference between "will" void your warranty and "may" void your warranty. My experience with RP leads me to trust their products. I love the way my car feels and sounds running RP. Considering how many people will spend over $1,000 just to change the sound of their exhaust, I don't consider an extra $40 to improve the performance of the drivetrain a biggie but that's just me. Those of you who want to try RP to see what it does, I highly recommend it. Those of you who feel safer using something else, do what makes you feel safe. There's nothing wrong with Mobile1; I just like RP's products better.
"If it is not written down it didn't happen." Meets or exceeds cannot go in front any board of arbitration and win...game over. Sorry, but I cannot go with something that does not specifically state that it meets the 4718 standard. And right now there is a sale on Q performance 4718 for 3.99/qt but for 6 qt limit. Just get 6 today and 6 tomorrow and the next....... And RP success racing? Whom? Where? I never heard of it, or just discounted it, until here. Sounds like the Slick 50 debacle. Teflon is good, but it totally breaks down its bond in high heat, and suspended in 50 weight? C'mon!?. Try using teflon pan on the stove with a metal spatula and watch the real emperical study results. The scientific method works, it has to be documentable(sp?), observable, and repeatable. That is why the manual states GM4718, and has been tested and proven. If there were a better product at a reasonable cost benefit, do you think that they would use it?
Ntimad8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #47
JesseJames

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Never mind; be safe, feel safe. Enjoy as I do mine.
As Motor Oil, Royal Purple is overhyped.... But as you said earlier for your differencial and transmission..thats another ballgame. I plan on switching over to that when my car has close to 7k miles
JesseJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #48
kcamarom
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM RS
When should i get my first oil change. The car has 1000 miles on it now.
kcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #49
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamarom View Post
When should i get my first oil change. The car has 1000 miles on it now.
Personally I changed my oil at 50 miles (Penzoil 5W/30) and at 500 miles (Mobil 1 Synthetic). I only used synthetic because I got it on sale.

My next oil changes will be every 6 months since I usually only put about 5,000 miles every 6 months on my vehicle.

I currently have 680 miles on the odometer.

I've been performing hard break-in's. That is whenever I accelerate from a stopped position I get to the speed limit as fast as possible.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #50
LS7 FTW

Drives: Black 2LT Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
Just watch out when you say oil is oil.
:s m0:
LS7 FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #51
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buelligun View Post
I read an article done by Cambridge university (I think) They tested Mobil 1 against an 'average' priced oil and the cheapest supermarket brand (all oils were the same oil spec)
From 0-2000 miles the lubrication/viscosity of all the oils were nearly identical and all degraded at about the same rate. From 2000-10000 were where the results really changed, Mobil 1 pretty much stayed the same and the other two slowly dropped off through the test, with the cheapest supermarket brand dropping the most! The tester did comment that although the cheapest brand had dropped the most, it still wasn't critical to lubrication/protection.
I will see if I can find the website, it was quite interesting!!
From what I could gather, if you had a car that you just used as a run around, then cheap stuff would be just fine as long as you didn't leave it too long between changes!

Not the site I was looking for but very interesting

http://http://www.mobil1.com.sg/performance/miles.aspx

But wasn't the test done with regular oil and not synthetic? Synthetic provides a whole new realm of protection for the moving parts in an engine.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #52
shelviloy

Drives: camaro
No i have never heard this but you are the first one from whom i am hearing this..but now i am curious and i want to know about this..please provide proper information about it.