Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
L99 Engine tick or clicking noise

I have a 2013 SS. I was able to have it cammed and BTR LT headers roughly 5k miles ago. Everything has been awesome. And still is no loss in power no warning lights etc. But yesterday I drove for roughly 30 minutes,watched a movie and when we left I could hear a tick in the engine. It would increase speed when I would but at higher rpm highway driving it seemed to be gone.

With slight internet research I've heard our cars will tend to make a sewing machine type tick. And seems to be on par with what I'm saying and hearing. Just weird I've never heard it until yesterday having owners the car a little over 2 yrs.

I know this is about as scary as web md'ing your self but would like to see how it sounds to you guys...?

https://youtu.be/ZTkjLkyRb6o
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
Check your header gaskets for a small leak that’s what happened with mine
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
That is definitely a louder tick than I would be comfortable with. As you mentioned, it is the fact that it wasn't noticeable previously that would have me concerned. Did it get a lot colder outside before this started? Does it go away when oil is warmed up?

I would pull your valve covers and check your rocker trunnions. Make sure all rockers are properly torqued still and have no excessive play. Do you still have the needle bearings or did you upgrade to a bushing? How is oil level and condition? Any chance of an exhaust leak close to the engine, as they can sound very similar? These are just questions I would be asking myself if this was me. Almost all LS's tick, especially when cammed, but going from a normal LS tick to a loud tick would have me concerned, as you are, that maybe something is not right.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Onyx_Wolf_ View Post
Check your header gaskets for a small leak that’s what happened with mine
I am definitely hoping for something smaller.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
That is definitely a louder tick than I would be comfortable with. As you mentioned, it is the fact that it wasn't noticeable previously that would have me concerned. Did it get a lot colder outside before this started? Does it go away when oil is warmed up?

I would pull your valve covers and check your rocker trunnions. Make sure all rockers are properly torqued still and have no excessive play. Do you still have the needle bearings or did you upgrade to a bushing? How is oil level and condition? Any chance of an exhaust leak close to the engine, as they can sound very similar? These are just questions I would be asking myself if this was me. Almost all LS's tick, especially when cammed, but going from a normal LS tick to a loud tick would have me concerned, as you are, that maybe something is not right.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I will be having it looked into shortly. Waiting to call places tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm not to mechanically inclined. But did check the oil and all was well. It had gotten colder that day was in the 20's and past 2 days where 9 and -4. The tick never went away at normal running temp. I'm not to sure on exhaust leak I had the cat delete so it's alot of gas and exhaust smell. I will keep you guys in the loop for sure. Seems like you share the same concerns I do.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #6
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post
I am definitely hoping for something smaller.
Does it flutter at low rpm?
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #7
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Onyx_Wolf_ View Post
Does it flutter at low rpm?
Nah the car still runs great. I don't notice anything like that.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
That's definitely not right check the exhaust gaskets which should be metal stock ones, and yes you may have to pull the valve covers. Not being mechanically inclined with a cammed camaro now is not good, you have to change out the springs every 25 k or so, I use special oil and do a break in with driven racing br30 and that's even with a 8620 core.
Yes it could be trunnions, it could also be bozo....a guy installing a cam on a used set of lifters since other than that requires pulling the heads..and now one lifter that has at least had tracking marks on it from the old cam is now not very happy, could be trunnions, could be bent pushrods from mechanical overrevs due to downshifting, could be trunnions falling apart, could be the stock pump crapping out and wanting higher volume...……. or the pump not done right and the o ring seal being wrong/pinched/ cut....

To me I would check will the header bolts as they require retorquing over time ….. I would also check the spark plugs as you may still have stock plugs? Basically when you don't invest in the knowledge your kind of lost and may not even know whats in the engine...… and what you should check over time for more maintenance requirements, and well guessing is just a game...…. Good Luck. That is not the typical typewriter sound of a LS engine with stiff springs...…….
Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Based on the frequency of the noise, it's about 6.2 times per second. That means that it is related to one cylinder, assuming you are idling around 750 in the video.

Sounds like an exhaust tick on a header tube in my opinion, but could be a loose rocker or anything else.

Regardless, based on the frequency of the noise it is specific to one cylinder in my opinion.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Definitely get that checked out by maybe the shop that put in your cam. I'm cammed and have the typical typewriter lifter noise that got louder with the cam but that is definitely not normal and way louder.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #11
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
Definitely get that checked out by maybe the shop that put in your cam. I'm cammed and have the typical typewriter lifter noise that got louder with the cam but that is definitely not normal and way louder.
Unfortunately the shop is 6 hrs away so I have to take it to my local Chevy dealership. But it is there and I should by 3 tomorrow what I have going on.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #12
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Based on the frequency of the noise, it's about 6.2 times per second. That means that it is related to one cylinder, assuming you are idling around 750 in the video.

Sounds like an exhaust tick on a header tube in my opinion, but could be a loose rocker or anything else.

Regardless, based on the frequency of the noise it is specific to one cylinder in my opinion.
Thanks so much. You seem knowledgeable for sure. I'm hoping it's gonna be something easy quick and cheap. We should know what it is by 3 tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
SuperChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
That's definitely not right check the exhaust gaskets which should be metal stock ones, and yes you may have to pull the valve covers. Not being mechanically inclined with a cammed camaro now is not good, you have to change out the springs every 25 k or so, I use special oil and do a break in with driven racing br30 and that's even with a 8620 core.
Yes it could be trunnions, it could also be bozo....a guy installing a cam on a used set of lifters since other than that requires pulling the heads..and now one lifter that has at least had tracking marks on it from the old cam is now not very happy, could be trunnions, could be bent pushrods from mechanical overrevs due to downshifting, could be trunnions falling apart, could be the stock pump crapping out and wanting higher volume...……. or the pump not done right and the o ring seal being wrong/pinched/ cut....

To me I would check will the header bolts as they require retorquing over time ….. I would also check the spark plugs as you may still have stock plugs? Basically when you don't invest in the knowledge your kind of lost and may not even know whats in the engine...… and what you should check over time for more maintenance requirements, and well guessing is just a game...…. Good Luck. That is not the typical typewriter sound of a LS engine with stiff springs...…….
Yea of course not being so knowledgeable right now really blows. Just from YouTube vids and horror stories on here. I was immediately afraid of failed lifters,bent rods,cracked head ,etc...all the worst possibilities. It is great to have the money to buy and mod my maro but now it's the scary part of not knowing and waiting to see.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
SuperChuck

So I got it looked at today and tech said he believes it's a lower engine noise $3400 just to tear it apart and try to find it. I will be going to a different shop tomorrow for the second opinion