Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
bb

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
"Stripping" a new Camaro

Hi guys,

I went ahead and ordered the PC detailing kit from Adams and I'm pretty excited for it to arrive. I of course plan on washing and claying before getting into some polish.

I have to give some kudos to my dealership, whatever they used on my new Camaro, it really arrived looking great. That being the case, it is necessary or advisable to 'strip' off the wax/sealant before I start detailing with the PC and the Adams products? If so, is using Dawn soap the best way?
bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I haven't tried Adam's products, but personally, I'd want to start with a "clean sheet", so I'd wash with Dawn first to remove any prior wax/polish.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
You don't have to but it would be best if you did.

The PC will remove wax/sealant anyway but this way you will be able to see and know what you are getting into and will know the best course of action before you start instead of changing strides midway.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You don't have to but it would be best if you did.

The PC will remove wax/sealant anyway but this way you will be able to see and know what you are getting into and will know the best course of action before you start instead of changing strides midway.
I agree - but leaving old wax on the car will cause your polishing pads to get clogged up quickly causing the polish not to cut the paint.