Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #169
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Dude, 7 consecutive posts?? Multi-quote man, multi-quote!
PUMPING up the posts # , get it ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #170
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
lol
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #171
ColtonB2

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
That's an aftermarket intake too...correct? And exhaust? Well, you have made an 'alteration' to parts of the 'system' that ultimately have an impact on the systems operation. So, by your logic(and GMs) your warranty should be voided as well.

We don't know exactly what killed it for me...no one will put it in writing.
THE TUNE AND THE CAM!!!! an intake and exhaust are bolt-ons. the only thing they'll void is the exhaust and cai. It is alot easier to say that an aftermarket tune or Cam was the reason your car faulted not simple bolt ons which maybe put 30hp tops. Either way man that sucks because the oil pump is not really being worked harder by the tune or the bolt-ons, but regardless if your engine hadn't been opened and tuned you would have a free oil pump.
ColtonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #172
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
That's an aftermarket intake too...correct? And exhaust? Well, you have made an 'alteration' to parts of the 'system' that ultimately have an impact on the systems operation. So, by your logic(and GMs) your warranty should be voided as well.

We don't know exactly what killed it for me...no one will put it in writing.
Ummm, well I would start with all the engine modifications and the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
just my 2 cents but id have to say with all those mods i would think a performance oil pump wouldve been a good idea to start with. you had to have been working that factory one double duty.

Very good advice here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonB2 View Post
THE TUNE AND THE CAM!!!! .

THIS
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #173
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
I agree and disagree. You're right in that Mag Moss needs to be proved. And that is expensive.

But, if you can afford legal help, a good lawyer can take GM's warranty denial to task and I, for one, would not be affraid to litigate this issue against GM's retained lawyers.

Law is law. Experts are experts. I can hire the same experts they can. Then what?

But, of course, it costs. So, that's the downside.
the burden of proof should be on gm. They are making the assertion that unrelated modifications caused the failure of a known defective part
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #174
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
the burden of proof should be on gm. They are making the assertion that unrelated modifications caused the failure of a known defective part
As these modifications are DIRECTLY related to the engine and the oil pump is part of the engine...they are DIRECTLY related in the eyes of many here and obviously related in GM's eyes...

As far as the TSB that is out on this engine...as was stated earlier, if the car was unmodded, GM would happily replace it. Was this TSB out when the engine was modded? If so, why didn't the performance shop that did the mods mention it? I'm sure they were aware of it if they did much work to these engines. If they didn't let the OP know about a potential issue and suggested a replacement (which would have made sense anyways with going with performance mods), why should GM have to pick up the dime?

I can't say that I have ever opened up an engine of my own without going with an upgraded oil pump over the factory one...its cheap insurance as evidenced here.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #175
u1-2go
Death Box ... no problem

Drives: 2LT-RS
If he would have bought the aftermarket exstended warranty, would he be covered ?

When passion rules the game, I get on the road and learn to play.
u1-2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #176
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Good luck Mossman, I just can't figure out why people get so upset with you for exhausting all possible channels. I agree with you that they need to determine the actual failure prior to blaming your mods on it. If it is determined that it is a failure other than the failure in the TSB then get out your checkbook. If it is indeed the already known problem then they should fix it. Strictly my opinion
You and I appear to be on a island on this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
just my 2 cents but id have to say with all those mods i would think a performance oil pump wouldve been a good idea to start with. you had to have been working that factory one double duty.
The mods have not had a measurable effect on the oil pumps operation. however, based on the failures and the tsp...it seems allot of shops are changing the pump if they've got the timer cover off for other reasons...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #177
BaylorSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I'm probably wrong here but assuming pump is is based off rpms, then wouldn't it make that the stock pump is meant to accelerate at the max rev and that by exceeding it you are in fact stressing the pump beyond factory specs. Think about tires. If you accelerate an reasonable pace to 60 mph, the tires don't lose traction. If you hammer it, you smoke the tires while accelerating to 60. 60 mph is a normal operating speed for the tires but the application of the additional force needed caused the tires to smoke(traction fail). The same logic applies on the pump just because you are operating within the factory rpm limits it does not mean you are not stressing the part. So extra hp does add extra stress to pump even if you are not redlining it.
BaylorSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #178
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Hey...don't 'f**k' with him...he's 'just sayin'....
mossman!..best of luck!..(really!).'cause you are gonna "need" all you can get!
ohh!,and hire a "damn" good attorney,AND bring "buckets" of money to the fight!..JUST SAYIN!..guess you'll "mod" another one right away!..huh?
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #179
jmaryt

Quote:
Hey...don't 'f**k' with him...he's 'just sayin'....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Dude, 7 consecutive posts?? Multi-quote man, multi-quote!
thanks!...got influenced by "brick tamland!".just sayin!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #180
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
PUMPING up the posts # , get it ?
in "union" there is strength!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #181
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i didn't read the whole thread. so sorry if this has been said. how much would it cost to have this fixed ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #182
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i didn't read the whole thread. so sorry if this has been said. how much would it cost to have this fixed ?
Dealer estimate is 'no more than $1700'...

Part is $150, labor is the killer on this repair...
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote