Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
CamaroWarrior

Drives: Honda Accord
Need Advice

I need some advice on what I should do in terms of buying a camaro. I am a high school senior who currently drives a Honda Accord because my parents did not want my first car to have too much power. I have always loved camaros and now see 3 options for getting one. I have listed some pros and cons of each option and would like some advice/input

Buy a used 4th generation camaro now.
Pros: cheapest, gets me a better car now
Cons: may not need a car the first two years of college, not the new camaro

Save for two or three years and buy a used 5th gen.
Pros: faster car, newer car, will have the car in college
Cons: will be a lot of $ for a used car

Save and buy a new camaro when i graduate college.
Pros: new camaro for graduation, nuff said
Cons: i dont want to wait that long

More info
  • If I don't get a different car before I go to college I will be forced into giving my brother the car I have now.
  • My parents have been nice enough to say that they will do everything possible to pay for my college education so its not like I am choosing between a car and school.
  • My parents helped me pay for my current car but I pay insurance and gas.
  • I make 12 dollars and hour(decent for a 17 year old) and am able to work full time in the summer so I will be able to easily save up 7k a year.
Please give your advice/opinions/other ideas about how I could get a Camaro
CamaroWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
My advice, option 3. YES, it would be hard, real hard......but it would pay off in the long run. as the saying goes, "GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT"
Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Remember... your fellow students may not have the same appreciation for your car as you will. I've heard real horror stories about college parking lots - everything from accidental door dings, getting keyed (jealousy), bad drivers playing bumper cars....
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroWarrior View Post
I need some advice on what I should do in terms of buying a camaro. I am a high school senior who currently drives a Honda Accord because my parents did not want my first car to have too much power. I have always loved camaros and now see 3 options for getting one. I have listed some pros and cons of each option and would like some advice/input

Buy a used 4th generation camaro now.
Pros: cheapest, gets me a better car now
Cons: may not need a car the first two years of college, not the new camaro

Save for two or three years and buy a used 5th gen.
Pros: faster car, newer car, will have the car in college
Cons: will be a lot of $ for a used car

Save and buy a new camaro when i graduate college.
Pros: new camaro for graduation, nuff said
Cons: i dont want to wait that long

More info
  • If I don't get a different car before I go to college I will be forced into giving my brother the car I have now.
  • My parents have been nice enough to say that they will do everything possible to pay for my college education so its not like I am choosing between a car and school.
  • My parents helped me pay for my current car but I pay insurance and gas.
  • I make 12 dollars and hour(decent for a 17 year old) and am able to work full time in the summer so I will be able to easily save up 7k a year.
Please give your advice/opinions/other ideas about how I could get a Camaro
Go with 1 or 3. Having a brand new car at college is a horror story waiting to happen. Jealousy strikes with other kids which will lead to keyed paint, eggings, dents and whatnot. Its not worth it. Plus you need to consider the price of insurance on a new car. It isn't cheap at that age.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
My advice, option 3. YES, it would be hard, real hard......but it would pay off in the long run. as the saying goes, "GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT"
+1 -- I suffered through college with a well used car saving my money for a new car at graduation - worked out well as didn't have to deal with too much debt right out of school.

Recognizing its hard seek to save toward your goal...
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
SRVFAN
Too Much FUN!!

Drives: RUBY!! 2010 2SS/RS RJT Camaro
Get into college first to see just how much harder it will be to make good grades vs High School.... then consider buying a new car. You have decent transportation now... just be patient. I had to wait til I was 55 to get my COOL car!! Life can get in the way sometimes....
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production): 7/30/09 - TPW 8/17/09
3300 (scheduled for prod) 8/5/09 THANKS Viz!!
3400 (broadcast): 8/15/09
3800 (produced):8/22/09 - #39,334
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped): 8/24/09
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
5000 (at dealer):09/03/09
6000 (delivered to customer): 9/3/09
SRVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
thejoker1232

Drives: furture 1LT synergy green camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to thejoker1232
im no expert man but i would say get a used car until after college then save up while your going to school then get out of college and get your camaro, you probably won't have to worry about losing your job if you pick the right field plus you will have the education to get another job so you could always make the payments just my .02
thejoker1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Ghost Rider
I'm one bad Mamma Jamma

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I would go with choice 1 or 3. Yes, it would be nice to have a car at school and I would hate to wait. However, i would no more park a 5th Gen in a college parking lot, unattended, than I would fly to the moon. Too much jealousy over this car will leave you with key marks, door dings and flat tires, guaranteed.

So, for me, choice #2 is a big NO! Otherwise, its your money and your choice between 1 and 3.

DELIVERED on August 25, 2009- 2010 2SS/RS, Yellow, A6, VIN # 34902

DELIVERED on September 9, 2009 -Custom Bumblebee Stripes and engine cover.

DELIVERED on September 10, 2009 - Painted GFX
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Keith70Chevelle

Drives: 1970 Chevelle, 2010 Camaro Red
Option 3. No dought. You dont want to take a new Camaro in ANY college parking lot. Besides get a good education and the new Camaro will come easily. Good luck with your schooling.
Keith70Chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
My advice

always use protection.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
tbarber87

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS CGM Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAdams View Post
Remember... your fellow students may not have the same appreciation for your car as you will. I've heard real horror stories about college parking lots - everything from accidental door dings, getting keyed (jealousy), bad drivers playing bumper cars....
coming from a current College Senior that just purchased my 5th gen over the summer, I vote option 3. . .college campuses can be bad, if not worse than highschool parking lots. Trust me on this, I don't park on campus. . .I'm thinking I should be shedding the pounds soon
tbarber87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I say get a cheap but clean beater car to get you through school. Then when you get out you can buy a new one. Vomit and parties take their toll on a new Camaro. You will be happier going through school not having to worry about a payment. Leaving more cash to go on crazy trips and rent beach houses. Use your youth to explore then when you're stuck in a job you'll at least ride in comfort.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
CamaroWarrior

Drives: Honda Accord
The whole don't park in the parking lot argument seems strange to me because i always park by my friends. Right now my friends have nicer cars than I do and we trust each other to open the doors carefully. There is also a student who has a challenger srt8 who has had no problems with door dings or having his car keyed (and that car is not easy to fit in the small school parking places).
CamaroWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote