Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #15
carguy50

Drives: 2SS/RS, Sequntials,Tune,Flomstr,CAI
??

Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #16
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
Glad your ok, but like everyone is saying spining out of control going 50 is hard to believe, ive drivin snow going that fast and had no problems, but i wasnt there so maybe something did go wrong.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #17
jcouves

Drives: Bumblebee!!
For those who find that losing control of their Camaro at 50 mph is hard to believe, read this thread.
Although I do believe I did something very stupid, I am really disappointed because Stabilitrack and TCS did not kick in. I'd understand if those systems kicked in and did not help, but they simply did nothing to help at all.
After all, those electronic systems are there to help you when you do something stupid.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
But those systems can do nothing if your tire patch isn't in contact with the road. They're trying to work, can't due to hydroplaning, thus giving you a service light.

Glad your okay! Cars can be replaced ~ not you

Last edited by garcmol; 04-28-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #19
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcouves View Post
For those who find that losing control of their Camaro at 50 mph is hard to believe, read this thread.
Although I do believe I did something very stupid, I am really disappointed because Stabilitrack and TCS did not kick in. I'd understand if those systems kicked in and did not help, but they simply did nothing to help at all.
After all, those electronic systems are there to help you when you do something stupid.
How do you know they didn't kick in. If your hydroplaning they won't do any good.

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #20
jcouves

Drives: Bumblebee!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
How do you know they didn't kick in. If your hydroplaning they won't do any good.
In my case, they didn't.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #21
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcouves View Post
First off you are alive and well and that's great. I just got my car now at 6100 miles. I drive with all traction control off even in rain especially. But this is because I am accustomed to cars without electronic aids. I personally think it is one of the best handling rear drive cars I have ever had on wet, and I drive like a maniac even challenging Audis and Suburus on wet corners. However after 2 years you probably didn't have a lot of thread left and I am not at all a fan of Pirellis. Did you at least upgrade you swaybars, when I did this my car became a lot more controlled and predictable even in wet. The stock Camaro suspension bushings and all are horrendous. You might have to hire a good lawyer to assist you on this one.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #22
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Sorry to hear about your car and glad no one was hurt. That's a tough lesson to learn. Whenever it's raining and you are nervous and fighting the car that is two signals telling you to slow down. When a car hydroplanes that is exactly what happens. It's a situation you want to avoid at all cost. I'm sure you were going too fast for the AMOUNT OF TREAD LEFT ON YOUR TIRES. The lights coming on in the car was probably due to the tires losing all traction and spinning out of control ON TOP OF THE WAVE OF WATER. This is the reason why the tire manufacture recommends replacing the tires when the tread STARTS TO GET THIN which is before the consumer is ready to buy a new set of tires cause to us we still see plenty of tread. The problem is that little bit of tread left won't split the water in a heavy down pour. If you would have slowed to 40 mph that day a lot of people would have been passing you but today you still would have your SS. I know this is not what you want to hear but we all need to learn from this. I was down in Alabama 2 weeks ago driving when all those tornados hit. My tires were getting thin so I replaced them the day before I made the 1000 mile trip for that very reason. At times I was driving 15 mph and couldn't see 20 ft in front of the car. I'm still driving my SS and so glad I made the trip on new rubber.
2010/2SS/RS/6L80E/Mast built LS3 416 Stroker/Black Lable Heads/Blower Cam/Jannetty Tuned/ 685rwhp/635tq/KookHeaders/3"exhaust/Magnaflows/Whipple Blower/10lbs bst/Duel pumps/85lb inj/2 gauge pillar/CAI/RX catch can/Vmax ported TB/Lexani LX15s/Pedders sub F bushings inserts/Pedders sport extreme coilovers/ZL1 sway bars/Hotchkis strut tower brace/Hawk brake pads/stainless steel brake lines/CTV front calibers/slotted rotors 15"/1 pc drive shaft & loop/hidden radar-laser detect/rear louvers/terminator hood/ SS mats/black outs/Bowties/GM GFX kit/blade spoiler/deading matting/wolf art/
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #23
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
if you had full coverage and the car is totaled it seems that you will get a new car just probably will be starting over from ground zero with new car and new payments. just be glad you dont have any lifelong injuries to live with and that your not kissing dirt tonight......
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #24
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Sorry for your loss.

That said this is an insurance issue don't bother with GM they won't help you. Your accident wasn't caused by the Stabilitrak, it was caused by wet weather and loss of control. The system failing didn't cause your wreck.

The Stabilitrak and Traction control don't cause you to fishtail, liberal application of the Go pedal causes it. Up until 15 years ago these cars didn't have systems like this, and we all managed to get down the street without fishtailing all the time.

Also as has been mentioned here and from what I've seen on multiple GM vehicles, the system usually freaks out like that when it has no chance of recovery, meaning you were already sliding and there was nothing it could do.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #25
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
I understand that this Camaro is a beast, but I have driven plenty of times in inclement weather and for me to hear that you did 3 360s and went through 4 lanes of traffic at speeds of only 50 miles an hour is hard for me to believe. To me, it sounds like you were going faster than 50. As other members have stated, good to hear that your okay. The camaro is always replaceable, but your life is not. However, if you knew something was not feeling right... why did you drive it then? You just admitted driver error. You could have avoided the accident by not driving the car, but you chose to. Why didn't any other cars spin out while only going 50 mph? This is why your story doesn't make sense. If you screwed up and went to fast; just say so. Don't make up a story and say their were manufacture defects with your car to cover your insurance and get the car replaced.

Glad your alright , but I'd have to agree with the above post. Something just ain't right with this story. Even with all the nannys turned off, you should not have had any problem driving at 50 mph in a rain storm. In Florida we do that every day during the summer, and I'm talking about tropical down pours without any problems.

Sorry don't buy it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #26
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Sounds like hydroplaning.

Depending on the condtion of the road (pooling in the worn tracks), during heavy rain, my car will start to hydroplane at 40 - 45mph with the stock Pirellis. I know this is the case and I adjust. My winter set of Pirelli Scorpions are much better in the rain and got me through ice and snow.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #27
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I've heard the "service stabilitrak" message shows up for all sorts of non traction control related problems. So I'd have the dealer pull the error codes out of your car if they can get any power to the computer. That way you'll at least know what broke. But go through your insurance company so you can get a new car as quickly as possible. If the service stabilitrak message was caused by anything other than traction being lost, persue this through GM. They will pay off your ins company if it is a warranty repair.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmind View Post
Evening everyone...

I totalled my 2010 tonight. Not a happy camper as its one of the first VINs.

It was pouring cats and dogs this evening on the ride home. I was fighting the car at 50 mph to keep it in a straight line the whole way home, then BAM... Orange lights, Service Stabilitrak, and I go immediately into a fishtail through 4 lanes of traffic doing 3, 360s. I am extremely lucky to be alive... Im baffled how I managed to spin between a heavy load of traffic doing 50...

Now... I have always been affraid of this beast in rain. Its never, ever felt safe to drive in heavy rainpours, and tonight, I was sweating bullets the whole way home because I just felt something was going to happen. But I did not expect this...

So here's my questions for the group...

1) Do you all think GM will accept this is a manufature defect? Will be under warrenty? Will they replace the totaled car?
2) Should I just go through my insurance and have the two of them duke it out?
3) Has anyone else had issues with their stablitrak/traction control "not working" and making them fishtail all the time?
4) Tires... Yes I still had the Pirrelli's on the car from when I bought it 2 years ago. Is anyone else seeing an abnormal wear and tear on their tires after 2 years of normal driving?

Body hurts, head hurts, but sadly... my heart is broken... I really loved that car. :(
I don't mean to piss in your wheaties, but if your fighting your car at 50MPH just to stay straight, then you're supposed to slow down so you don't lose control of your car like you did.

At some point in time you just have to say to yourself, "Hey, I can't get control of this car, maybe I should slow down until I can regain traction." Kick on the hazards, move over to the slowest lane and stay there until the conditions get better. Yeah, there will be people blowing by you, but that doesn't change the fact that you simply can't go that fast. You knew you couldn't go that fast, but you did it anyways. Driver error. I don't see how this would be GM's fault.

Closed Thread