Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
flynhawaiianss

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro SS
New MAF question

Need a little help on this one because I'm not sure where to start. So about a week ago I installed a Cold Air Inductions CAI. During the installation I figured I would check the "code" on my stock MAF. For those that don't know what I'm talking about there is thread on "Strong MAF vs Weak MAF". My stock MAF had a code of "Q" on it. So using that thread, I purchased a new one off Amazon for barely over $38. The new one showed up with a "code" of "K15" so that link is still valid and does sell the "strong" MAF. Since installation I have notice that when cruising at times the car has small surges. Also, when taking off from a stop just normally and not hammering it, the car has a slight bit of hesitation/lag in throttle response. I'm almost positive that the car doesn't need a tune for the new "strong" MAF. I just had my tune upgraded for the CAI by DynoSteve. Not sure what to do from this point. Fuse pull? I don't think that would be the answer but I might be wrong. Maybe send off the throttle body to Bo White? I thought the new "strong" MAF was supposed to help but it seems like it has made throttle response and normal driving a bit worse? Everything seemed fine with the stock MAF Any help would be greatly appreciated.
flynhawaiianss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
disconnect the battery...allow the computer to learn the new maf...if that don't work give Steve a holler...he will get you sorted...

peace.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Check you throttle position sensor.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
disconnect the battery...allow the computer to learn the new maf...if that don't work give Steve a holler...he will get you sorted...

peace.

A cars computer can't learn a new MAF; it needs to be calibrated via tuning software if the frequency output is different.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
flynhawaiianss

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I sent off a message to DynoSteve to see if he thinks I need to update the tune again possibly. If all else fails I could try a battery disconnect or a fuse pull but I thought I remembered reading from an old thread that just replacing with the "strong" MAF that it wouldn't need a tune but we will see i guess. I don't think it is something I'm making up in my head because I don't remember the car acting like this before replacing the old MAF.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I have the strong maf in mine and a dynosteve tune but none of the issues you have.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
flynhawaiianss

After talking to DynoSteve he suggests that I swap back to the old MAF. I guess I'm not out much money if I keep the new one as a spare or I can just return it. Just surprised me that after reading some of the older threads that so many people swapped to the "strong" MAF and had no issues. Then I did the swap and it seemed like the laggy throttle response was the biggest issue
Old 06-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Things like this can happen when the MAF is installed backwards.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #9
flynhawaiianss

I'm almost positive I installed it with the arrow facing towards the throttle body and I thought it could only be installed one way due to the notch on the MAF?
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #10
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
I’ve seen these installed backwards before it’s just something that can cause such issues. Worth double checking.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #11
flynhawaiianss

I will double check in the morning to make sure the arrow on the MAF is pointing towards the throttle body.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I had the same exact issue. Purchase one off amazon and ran like crap. Put the old one back in and it was fine.

Ended up being a cheap chinese MAF. Ordered a strong one from a vendor here and worked much better.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #13
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
This has got me wondering now. I bought mine off amazon too. It was sold directly by amazon and it said it was oem ac-delco. I will have to take another look and see. Was there some way you could tell it was a china knock off? I don't have any surging but feel like I don't have the same power I did before.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #14
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
This has got me wondering now. I bought mine off amazon too. It was sold directly by amazon and it said it was oem ac-delco. I will have to take another look and see. Was there some way you could tell it was a china knock off? I don't have any surging but feel like I don't have the same power I did before.
I'm kinda in the same boat. Sometimes It feels less powerful than before or a lite surge from time to time. I'm wondering since the strong vs weak info is out to the public. Maybe these knockoffs caught on and putting out 2 digit maf's to make money

Its the first electrical unit I've bought for my car so in the future I'll just buy from a trusted vendor for that type of stuff. I'll take it as a learning experience....cheap lesson learned here.
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote