Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
ZL1blue

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Short vs Long Headers and Exhaust

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death- so my apologies the search feature is not working right now on my computer. I cringe just asking this because I know I'll probably get a ton of different answers, but here goes.

1. Should I get Short or Long headers? Seems like short will give lower end torque and power and fit easier (which is probably most practical). I'm thinking of Kook headers. I don't plan on lowering the car, I've heard long tubes are more difficult to install and can rub on lowered cars.

2. Should I do Magnaflow -Corsa or Borla exhaust? i don't want the drone noise at cruising speed, but I would love something a bit more aggressive than stock but not obnoxiously loud. I'll probably do a high flow cats.

3. Do I need a tune after the exhaust mod?

Third and fourth mods will be Monster clutch and interchiller.

Many Thanks.

Tint, wheels, Michelin PSS, Kook LT headers, HF cats, 1050injectors, 5% pulley, Mcleod 1000hp clutch, 160 thermostat, spark plugs and cables, Eibach springs, hurst shifter, CAI, Anderson carbon hood, carbon rockers, front and rear carbon valence, carbon spoiler, Oracle side markers and side mirrors, stainless door kicks, carbon strut tower brace, carbon supercharger cover, southern car parts engine bay kit, seperate clutch reservoir, kenwood DDX990 4s with appple car play.
ZL1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Depends. If you plan to mod you will have to ditch the cats over 600 rwhp.
The biggest gain from headers is removing the cats.

The 2013 will throw a CEL just by adding high flow cats to the stock system. Headers will also. You will need a hand held to reset the CEL, or a tune which may, or may not void your warranty on the complete power train.

With Long tubes and no cats the car will be plenty loud with the stock exhaust. The NPP gives you some options to keep the NPP valve always open, always closed, or stock to give you some different noise level options.

The stock clutch is good to about 700 rwhp before it can become a problem.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Shorty headers are a waste of money.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Fishinfirefighter

Drives: Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
x3. The stock shortys cant be beat from the buttload of research ive done if you decide to go that route. LTs are where its at but even then the REAL gain is from losing the stock cats like norcal said. I think cat delete pipes on stock headers vs longtubes with no cats is a small difference.
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Shortys are actually more difficult to install because you've got to deal with connecting/bolting their flange upside down to the cat flange ( eom or aftermarket cat doesnt make a differnce and can be a real PITA) as this is where most leaks occur.
With LTs its a straight on bolt on of the LT collector end to the cat. However with shortys you won't need to be tuned thus preserving your power train warranty if that's a consideration to you.

With LTs you really need to be tuned as you'll be significantly increasing exhaust flow witch will cause your car to run too lean to the point of doing long term damage without a tune.

Last edited by camguynj; 09-18-2016 at 09:43 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
ZL1blue

All good info so far guys. Guess I'll fail emissions without the cats? But will it pass with sport cats? And im assuming the car has o2 sensors pre and post cats. Correct?

Sorry for the stupid questions. It's been a while since I've had American muscle 8 cylinder - my daily driver is a 2012 supercharged Audi S4 which I put bilstien PSS10 suspension on - 20 rims with UHP summer tires put a new front bumper on sway bars front n back a - huge supercharger inte-cooler had it tuned by AWE new SC pulley and belt so I'm around 488hp with it had full custom exhaust added and the exhaust note is so wicked at WOT I get a ton of compliments. With Quattro drive it moves and handles like its on rails. I've had plenty of issues with my older Audi check engine lights - MAF sensor and so on- so I want to be careful about the mods I choose for this ZL1. The stock exhaust already sounds pretty good and I did the NPP fuse pull. I just want that great sound at wot especially when you go under bridges - you know what I'm talking about. . I'm not too concerned about the warranty. If I tune it will the cel go away permanently? I just don't want to make it less dependable or regret the mods and at 580 stock probably 480 at the wheels - I'm not looking to add too much extra. Don't want to mess with injectors or cam or go down that road- Thanks again.

So far vote is for long tube headers- correct? Any votes on Borla/ Magnaflow/ or any other - seems to me Magnaflow has been around so long they must have engineering down by now.

Tint, wheels, Michelin PSS, Kook LT headers, HF cats, 1050injectors, 5% pulley, Mcleod 1000hp clutch, 160 thermostat, spark plugs and cables, Eibach springs, hurst shifter, CAI, Anderson carbon hood, carbon rockers, front and rear carbon valence, carbon spoiler, Oracle side markers and side mirrors, stainless door kicks, carbon strut tower brace, carbon supercharger cover, southern car parts engine bay kit, seperate clutch reservoir, kenwood DDX990 4s with appple car play.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Come to think of it I don't believe they even make shorties fo a ZL1
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
LT and No cats to NPP is the shit, adding High flows tames the sound just a bit and you might drop 3 hp.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1blue View Post
All good info so far guys. Guess I'll fail emissions without the cats? But will it pass with sport cats? And im assuming the car has o2 sensors pre and post cats. Correct?

Sorry for the stupid questions. It's been a while since I've had American muscle 8 cylinder - my daily driver is a 2012 supercharged Audi S4 which I put bilstien PSS10 suspension on - 20 rims with UHP summer tires put a new front bumper on sway bars front n back a - huge supercharger inte-cooler had it tuned by AWE new SC pulley and belt so I'm around 488hp with it had full custom exhaust added and the exhaust note is so wicked at WOT I get a ton of compliments. With Quattro drive it moves and handles like its on rails. I've had plenty of issues with my older Audi check engine lights - MAF sensor and so on- so I want to be careful about the mods I choose for this ZL1. The stock exhaust already sounds pretty good and I did the NPP fuse pull. I just want that great sound at wot especially when you go under bridges - you know what I'm talking about. . I'm not too concerned about the warranty. If I tune it will the cel go away permanently? I just don't want to make it less dependable or regret the mods and at 580 stock probably 480 at the wheels - I'm not looking to add too much extra. Don't want to mess with injectors or cam or go down that road- Thanks again.

So far vote is for long tube headers- correct? Any votes on Borla/ Magnaflow/ or any other - seems to me Magnaflow has been around so long they must have engineering down by now.
Depending on the state high flows will not pass anyhow. If your going to mod and change the tune you might as well go for it. Lots of 700 rwhp cars running around. I would not bother with Cat backs until you have a chance to run LT's on the stock NPP. Its a really good system. Save that money for other things.
So yes if you tune the CEL will go away.
Lots of high hp cars in the 650-750 rwhp range run quite reliabily.
There are proven reliable packages for upgrading.

My choice since your going to end up tuning
LT's
Injectors
Bap
Btr stage 3 cam
10% lower
3 way controller for NPP
The car begs for mods this should but you in the 600+ rwhp range and be reliable as stock as long as it is done right.

Edit at that level don't run cats except for inspection. They can melt at that level.

Edit 2 yes you can run headers on the LSA without a tune. The NA LS3 is a different animal. Fueling on the LSA is determined by blower speed, exhaust side mods will have little effect on the fuel mixture. They will however cause a CEL. During the post 12 run they changed the computer programming so even Solo high flow cats on the stock system will trigger a CEL on the 13's and up.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
CA - shortie headers.
49 state - long tube.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
ZL1blue

thanks again guys.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death- so my apologies the search feature is not working right now on my computer. I cringe just asking this because I know I'll probably get a ton of different answers, but here goes.

1. Should I get Short or Long headers? Seems like short will give lower end torque and power and fit easier (which is probably most practical). I'm thinking of Kook headers. I don't plan on lowering the car, I've heard long tubes are more difficult to install and can rub on lowered cars.

2. Should I do Magnaflow -Corsa or Borla exhaust? i don't want the drone noise at cruising speed, but I would love something a bit more aggressive than stock but not obnoxiously loud. I'll probably do a high flow cats.

Many Thanks.
For California Residents there is only one choice. American Racing Short headers with CARB approval.

For the Rest of the states Long Tube headers are the only way to go.

These cars are very easy to install headers on and I recommend Dynatech Long tube headers with Supercats or off road pipes.

And Magnaflow or Corsa as I have tested both on my car and can give you direct feedback on what to expect.

I chose the Magnaflow for my car.

Yes you will need a custom tune with any mods, When you purchase your parts from me you get FREE custom tuning with purchase of the parts.

We are a full service speed shop for 30 years feel free to give us a call.

Thank you

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:

Many Thanks.

I would recommend long tubes for max performance gains. We have several systems we recommend.

For an exhaust we recommend you listen to some systems first. If drone is an issue and you drive on the highway Corsa is the way to go. Stainless Works is another system that needs a listen as well.

You need a tune with long tube headers. Can you wait a bit before having it tuned? Absolutely.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote