Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
mtpilgreen

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS coupe
Exclamation Factory radio cuts off randomly

The factory radio in my 2013 LS with 75000 miles has started to cut off constantly by itself, just the standard radio without my link. It cuts itself off at random and sometimes when I hit the brakes or use a turn signal. My ac also quits blowing for a split second when it shuts off then comes back on. I have no problem with my headlights or power windows when it does this. I have only seen one thread about this exact problem but it was very old and no one commented on it. Does anyone know what my problem could be, maybe a faulty hvac controller ( the display and controls for the radio and the ac)?? thank you all for you time.
mtpilgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
I had similar issue only once.. Nothing would work on the center control touch screen or control knobs and the AC was stuck blowing cold air on high speed and the entire system would not respond to any controls for 5 min. Then started working normal. Gotta be a short in these systems somewhere. Thank god it only did this once last year and been no issue since.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
mtpilgreen

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS coupe
This is happening every time I drive the car now, cant listen to anything because it cuts off so much, very annoying. Gonna take it to a chevy dealer next week and hopefully my warranty will cover it.
mtpilgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Good luck . GM seems to not cover crap under warranty these days. They seem to find something to not cover the problems.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
Happened to my Mylink I installed it eventually reset and it was fine...
Old 08-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
Kerrari240

Drives: 2013 LS
Just out of warranty

My base level radio just began to suffer a similar fault (27,000 miles). As soon is the engine is started the all lights and screen on the radio/ac faceplate (controller) wig out along with the audio and the ac compressor cycles on and off with about the same freqency as everything else. The blower remains at about the same speed as it was previously set and can still be adjusted, no other apparent symptoms.

I tried a battery reset with no success. I heard that there is a update for a simlar fault but I think it is for only for the "my link" set up. I was not able to find a wiring diagram on the web either which was surprising considering it's for the radio.

Annnnnnyway, I was thinking it had to do with what ever is supplying power to the faceplate either the bcm the radio unit or some power control module. I removed the faceplate and unpluged it with the radio and ac on with the engine running while trying to duplicate the fault. The whole time I was digging around (played with harness and connectors, mess with all fuses and relays, massaged the bcm, etc.) I was not able to duplicate the fault and it did not happen again unit I pluged the face plate back in. If you unplug the radio unit what a surprise, the radio turns off. It's worth mentioning I did not unplug anyother connector in fear of setting a fault and dropping a system into limp mode.

Hmmmm this is not really the most technical way to diagnosis it but I'm looking that either there's a problem with comands (1s and 0s) stored in the faceplate's controller just from age which would mean there is an update ooooor the faceplate took a shit.

I'll post what I find (I hope!) and if I get around to it I'll post the video of the fault via youtube.
Peace
Kerrari240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
fidmor007

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrari240 View Post
My base level radio just began to suffer a similar fault (27,000 miles). As soon is the engine is started the all lights and screen on the radio/ac faceplate (controller) wig out along with the audio and the ac compressor cycles on and off with about the same freqency as everything else. The blower remains at about the same speed as it was previously set and can still be adjusted, no other apparent symptoms.

I tried a battery reset with no success. I heard that there is a update for a simlar fault but I think it is for only for the "my link" set up. I was not able to find a wiring diagram on the web either which was surprising considering it's for the radio.

Annnnnnyway, I was thinking it had to do with what ever is supplying power to the faceplate either the bcm the radio unit or some power control module. I removed the faceplate and unpluged it with the radio and ac on with the engine running while trying to duplicate the fault. The whole time I was digging around (played with harness and connectors, mess with all fuses and relays, massaged the bcm, etc.) I was not able to duplicate the fault and it did not happen again unit I pluged the face plate back in. If you unplug the radio unit what a surprise, the radio turns off. It's worth mentioning I did not unplug anyother connector in fear of setting a fault and dropping a system into limp mode.

Hmmmm this is not really the most technical way to diagnosis it but I'm looking that either there's a problem with comands (1s and 0s) stored in the faceplate's controller just from age which would mean there is an update ooooor the faceplate took a shit.

I'll post what I find (I hope!) and if I get around to it I'll post the video of the fault via youtube.
Peace
I have the exact same problem and the same car (2013 Camaro LS). My Warranty was out on the 9th of this month and this issue started happening last week.... I also have a problem when i put my turn signal on, the clicking noise is not at sync with the turn light. After the i manually turn the signal off, the clicking noise stays on for 2 extra clicks before it stops.
Let me know if you find a solution! Im going to check the fuse boxes when i get a chance.
fidmor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
Kerrari240

Drives: 2013 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidmor007 View Post
I have the exact same problem and the same car (2013 Camaro LS). My Warranty was out on the 9th of this month and this issue started happening last week.... I also have a problem when i put my turn signal on, the clicking noise is not at sync with the turn light. After the i manually turn the signal off, the clicking noise stays on for 2 extra clicks before it stops.
Let me know if you find a solution! Im going to check the fuse boxes when i get a chance.
Hmmm I've had no issues with my turn signals, I'm guessing thats bcm controled and may or may not be related.

Ive been driving with face plate unplugged and it seems to work fine lol. Im trying to find any TSBs for the base model radio. A new faceplate costs about 300 bucks, used for about 100.
Kerrari240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
fidmor007

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrari240 View Post
Hmmm I've had no issues with my turn signals, I'm guessing thats bcm controled and may or may not be related.

Ive been driving with face plate unplugged and it seems to work fine lol. Im trying to find any TSBs for the base model radio. A new faceplate costs about 300 bucks, used for about 100.
Have you figured this out yet? I did more research on this and everything seems to point at the BCM. I just need help finding where the BCM is in my vehicle. Any idea where it is located? (2013 Chev Camaro 2LS)
Thanks!
fidmor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeflyhereSS View Post
Happened to my Mylink I installed it eventually reset and it was fine...
how do you reset the mylink?mine cuts out once in a while but then comes back on in a few seconds.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Happened once on my 2015.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
My air controls stopped working and radio reboots. I pulled a fuse on the side of the dash drivers side, i think it said my link or radio and it cleared all the issues.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
SSBARBIE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS Black 6 speed
So I just put 10k miles on my car about a week ago and this morning my touch screen display wasn't working. I can listen to music but after turning it off and back even restarting my car....nothing. I drive 45 minutes to work so there was enough time for it to kick back on. Guess I'm going to check the fuses when I get off work. If all else fails I'm pretty sure my warranty covers it, any other suggestions?

SSBARBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
SSBARBIE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS Black 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBARBIE View Post
So I just put 10k miles on my car about a week ago and this morning my touch screen display wasn't working. I can listen to music but after turning it off and back even restarting my car....nothing. I drive 45 minutes to work so there was enough time for it to kick back on. Guess I'm going to check the fuses when I get off work. If all else fails I'm pretty sure my warranty covers it, any other suggestions?

NVM disconnected the battery and it works just fine now. Maybe it just got a little too cold the night before last.
SSBARBIE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, radio