Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #43
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I try to do synthetic every 5k miles
Regardless of how much time lapses?
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #44
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I go by what the OLM says and I get about 4500-4700 miles in between.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #45
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
On the camaro I do every 6 months which comes out to about 1000 miles.

On my daily driver I change it every 5000 even though Toyota insists that it’s only required every 10000
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #46
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
and the 3000 mile change was pushed by the oil manufacturers who want to sell oil. I believe the guy who is warrantying my motor.
The warranty expires long before the effects of extended OCI will be an issue.

I change my oil when the indicator says 30%, which seems to be almost exactly 6,000 miles. I never do short trips and practically live on the freeway at 75mph in 6th, 30 miles is my shortest regular drive. I feel comfortable with my oil change intervals. I also use WIX oil filters because the ACdelco units have plastic cores and have a very slim but possible chance of failure.

On my motorcycles,I change the oil every 2500, whether I've been drag racing or just commuting and doing freeway wheelies. They seem fine.

I have noticed that once the oil has gone visibly black and dirty, the car will make the next change of oil dirty quite rapidly. A short oil change interval with a bit of added detergent (seafoam or atf right before oil is changed) seems to clean things up quite well. Also, diesel oil works GREAT for keeping things clean and protecting flat tappet cams from wear when you have a vehicle that calls for that weight. I've ran Rotella T6 for many miles in several vehicles and motorcycles.

Edit: shell makes a 5W30 T6 now, I will be trying it soon.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #47
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
The last oil change on my L99 was in November. I've driven the car 1,000 miles since then. The most recent OnStar report states 90% oil life.
I'm concerned about it being 7 months ago though. Should the oil be changed or is it fine?

Note: I realize it's an old thread, but I don't see the point of starting a new thread to ask a similar question.
When you get to a year, OnStar will tell you the oil should be changed.

I'm not sure what supposedly happens after a year, but I obediently changed it. I think you're fine at 7 months.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:38 PM   #48
Mr_Jones
DaBatMan

Drives: "Candi" 2018 2LT RS M6
Coming from a VW 2.0T, where the manufacturers recommendation is to change the oil every 10K... and experiencing the timing chain issues that VW is currently under class action lawsuit for I had committed to changing the oil in my LGX every 5K.

And then I came across this video: https://youtu.be/Bevn5ukHf3s

Needless to say I'll be joining the 3K club. Early and often is the mindset... waste of money or not. I'm a believer!

EDIT: It's a daily driver used to commute ~32 miles per day 5 days per week in stop and go traffic. I'm also in NE FL where summer temps easily climb to 100 degrees. Call it piece of mind or shell shock from my previous experience in the VW. I plan to hang a classic license plate on my Camaro twenty years from now. Yes, I love t that much!

Current Wives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS MT / 2008 Avalanche 5.3L AFM

Ex-GF's: 2010 VW CC Lux 2.0T/ 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT MT/ 2001 A6 3.0T MT/ 2001 Navigator / 1995 Accord EX MT
Mr_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #49
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I didn't bother reading it. I already know this answer. I'm not even going into specifics except: I've never blown an engine or powertrain due to oil. My current fleet of cars do not use an excessive amount of oil (ever). In the past, some cars may use oil from the factory; As long as it is an acceptable amount and one puts in the same amount of care in maintaining the car, then the car should have a long and very productive life.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #50
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jones View Post
Coming from a VW 2.0T, where the manufacturers recommendation is to change the oil every 10K... and experiencing the timing chain issues that VW is currently under class action lawsuit for I had committed to changing the oil in my LGX every 5K.

And then I came across this video: https://youtu.be/Bevn5ukHf3s

Needless to say I'll be joining the 3K club. Early and often is the mindset... waste of money or not. I'm a believer!

EDIT: It's a daily driver used to commute ~32 miles per day 5 days per week in stop and go traffic. I'm also in NE FL where summer temps easily climb to 100 degrees. Call it piece of mind or shell shock from my previous experience in the VW. I plan to hang a classic license plate on my Camaro twenty years from now. Yes, I love t that much!
So I watched most of the video...probably 75% of it, so maybe I missed something. I see it was posted in 2018, but I wonder how old the video actually is, or which versions of the 3.6 he is talking about.

I owned a 2010 Camaro RS with the 3.6. Really enjoyed it, and especially after some mods. I researched the heck out of that engine and felt like I have decent knowledge about it. The biggest issue as he states, was timing chains going out, with another issues, although not nearly as prevalent was spun bearing resulting in sudden oil loss and a blown engine. It was thought that in some cases that owners who did not drive their car long enough distances for the oil to get to operating temp, and burn off the condensation and what not in the oil, lead to some of these failures.

In that car, I used full synthetic oils and changed it every 3 - 4 thousand miles. After reading some oil comparison articles, I settled on using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic oil as my choice (and still use it today).

My 2010 model used the 3.6 "LLT" version which ran up through the 2011 model year. In 2012 (at least in the Camaro) Chevrolet updated the engine and it was now called the LFX. It seemed to be a more mature version of the LLT and didn't seem to have as much of the timing chain issues. Now the current version in the Camaro is the "LGX" and although I don't pay as much attention to the V6 scene as I did, I haven't seen that this engine is having the same types of issues as the LLT had either, so that's great.

So that's why I question which version of the 3.6 he is referring to. In the end, if you change your oil every 3 - 5K, I think that is perfectly fine, if not more than fine.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #51
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Funny...I changed the oil in my 2016 SS this weekend. Oil life monitor was pretty much down to zero. My car only has roughly 6,100 miles on it, but I couldn't remember when it was last changed exactly (in my head I was thinking maybe somewhere around 3K miles). I don't like to go by the OLM, but I decided since it was down to nearly zero life left, I had better change it to be safe.

Turns out, I had changed the oil at 4,999 miles....almost exactly a year ago. So I only put on 1,100 or so miles on this oil change. I guess the OLM thinks after a year has gone by, that is enough, and its time to change your oil even if it hasn't been driven much. lol.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #52
Mr_Jones
DaBatMan

Drives: "Candi" 2018 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I see it was posted in 2018, but I wonder how old the video actually is, or which versions of the 3.6 he is talking about.
Correct, the vid is dated 2018 however he also states that GM has been using the engine since ~2005 I believe. However, he goes on to mention the "High Feature" GM V6 with VVT ect..., which I believe is what's in the Camaro nowadays (automatics I believe). If I'm incorrect here please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger
I owned a 2010 Camaro RS with the 3.6. Really enjoyed it, and especially after some mods. I researched the heck out of that engine and felt like I have decent knowledge about it. The biggest issue as he states, was timing chains going out, with another issues, although not nearly as prevalent was spun bearing resulting in sudden oil loss and a blown engine. It was thought that in some cases that owners who did not drive their car long enough distances for the oil to get to operating temp, and burn off the condensation and what not in the oil, lead to some of these failures.
^^^this^^^... as I mentioned previously, my timing chain was about to fail in my 2010 VW and I followed the recommended schedule for oil maintenance religiously to that point. After spending $2K getting that work done I committed to doing changes every 5K in that vehicle and came into my LGX Camaro looking to do the same, until I ran across this video. And please, if you have anything you can point me to to learn more about the LGX specifically I'd be very appreciative as I'm very interested in keeping this engine running like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger
In that car, I used full synthetic oils and changed it every 3 - 4 thousand miles. After reading some oil comparison articles, I settled on using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum synthetic oil as my choice (and still use it today).
I'll have to research the Pennzoil. I had been leaning toward Mobile1 but haven't moved away from the GM recommended oil as of this post. Currently ~1450 miles in with an oil change at 500 and the rear diff change at ~1200.

Current Wives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS MT / 2008 Avalanche 5.3L AFM

Ex-GF's: 2010 VW CC Lux 2.0T/ 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT MT/ 2001 A6 3.0T MT/ 2001 Navigator / 1995 Accord EX MT
Mr_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #53
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Penz Ultra full syn twice a year, spring and fall. I only get 12-13K miles annually. I do watch the OLM though, last weekend I changed for spring and it happened to be @ 18% remaining.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote