Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #239
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
i can make 15 snow shovels and doesnt mean its exclusive, just because I only made 15. And to be exclusive is something that everybody wants but cant have. TO be honest the 500 is not something everybody wants nor cant have
you're right about the bold part. not everyone wants a Porsche or some of the other exotics either.

what kind of snow shovels? the kind that shovel for you and don't require manual labor? you set it and forget it. that would be exclusive and a ton of northerners would want them
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #240
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
i can make 15 snow shovels and doesnt mean its exclusive, just because I only made 15. And to be exclusive is something that everybody wants but cant have. TO be honest the 500 is not something everybody wants nor cant have
Really?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #241
kryologik

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

I'll buy your 15 snow shovels and resell them at a higher price with your autograph. That's what I call a "limited edition"
kryologik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #242
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
you're focus is on one part of the picture not the whole picture. I will admit I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes, but the whole picture is bigger then just units sold. and if that's all you care about in determining if a car is a failure or a success then most cars in this class are failures. according to you. and that's fine you're a small person compared to the numbers that will love and buy these cars.
Bigger than units sold? That's the whole point of making cars and buying cars.

My focus is on the car buyer, as that's what I am. What you describe as exclusivity isn't exclusivity, it's just poor marketing. These cars are going to be cross-shopped, so any manufacturer that doesn't want to meet buyer demand will just be giving sales up to other makes and models. It's not going to kill me to get a CTS-V instead of a Z28, if GM decides to make Z28's a rare item.

You could claim the Chrysler is using the "exclusive" approach with Challengers. Would there be more, happier Challenger owners if Chrysler mass-produced the car and used economy of scale to push the price down? Would Chrysler make more money? Probably yes to both. And there's a lot of current Camaro owners who would have bought a Challenger if the SRT8 price had been more inline with a SS, so there's money Chrysler could have had but now will never get. That's what exclusivity does for you, it drives your potential customers somewhere else.

Now, if GM really wanted to be exclusive, they'd market the Z28 in the $40's. The only competition at that price is going to be the Boss Mustang.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #243
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
true the SRT would be in my garage if it was 35k and not 43-45k
Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #244
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Bigger than units sold? That's the whole point of making cars and buying cars.

trick question? lol.

My focus is on the car buyer, as that's what I am. What you describe as exclusivity isn't exclusivity, it's just poor marketing. These cars are going to be cross-shopped, so any manufacturer that doesn't want to meet buyer demand will just be giving sales up to other makes and models. It's not going to kill me to get a CTS-V instead of a Z28, if GM decides to make Z28's a rare item.

If it's poor marketing I guess so. since government mandates don't matter to you as a buyer. if it's profitable at 50k for 5500 units and doesn't affect cafe numbers by much then we keep the car at 50k. if people are willing to pay that much for the car it will sale. you obviously aren't prepared to pay that. and seeing how you're comparing a 50k car to a 64k car shows me that you either have money to burn and don't care or you're full of shit. If you can afford the CTS-V then get it you won't be disappointed. and fewer people can afford it.

You could claim the Chrysler is using the "exclusive" approach with Challengers. Would there be more, happier Challenger owners if Chrysler mass-produced the car and used economy of scale to push the price down? Would Chrysler make more money? Probably yes to both. And there's a lot of current Camaro owners who would have bought a Challenger if the SRT8 price had been more inline with a SS, so there's money Chrysler could have had but now will never get. That's what exclusivity does for you, it drives your potential customers somewhere else.

If chrysler was in a position to produce a ton of them and didn't have greedy dealers more challengers would have sold. but that's just an excuse as to why they aren't producing more challengers. personal example. One of my co-workers tried for a year and half to buy a challenger. he had the cash in hand but none of the dealers would order the car he wanted even with a huge deposit. Is that chryslers fault or bad dealers? bad dealers. but at the same time they had product backing up on the lots around here. they would have rather sold what was on the lot then order a unit that would have been already sold. why because those cars were costing them more sitting on the lot then they would have made on that sale. so in the end they didn't make any money because he walked away and bought 2 brand new bikes (victory and cbr1000rr).

the SRT8 was suppose to be the high end performer like the GT500. and under cut it's price. The R/T is more like the mustang GT and the camaro SS. the camaro right now doesn't have anything in that segment. That's where this mythical Z28 is suppose to land. how many SRT8's, GT500's are sold a year? we're back to the 5500 for the GT500 for MY 2011. if you can get ahold of one that puts you into a limited number of people to get one. exclusive group. what you pay for it is whatever you can get the dealer to agree to. has nothing to do with price. guarantee there are more GT owners out there that would love to have the 500 but couldn't afford it. exclusive to them. to the guys that can afford exotics not so much.

Now, if GM really wanted to be exclusive, they'd market the Z28 in the $40's. The only competition at that price is going to be the Boss Mustang.
I have yet to say GM won't do this. IF they are testing the z28 mules against the GT500 then that's the competition they are aiming for. currently with destination charge the gt500 is over 49k. If the Z is priced around the shelby then it will be within plus or minus 2k. so look for it around 47-51k. you're asking GM to give you the world for pennies on the dollar. as a customer it is your job to try and get that but not expect to. that's the market we live in.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #245
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
if it's profitable at 50k for 5500 units and doesn't affect cafe numbers by much then we keep the car at 50k. if people are willing to pay that much for the car it will sale.
Great. Keep the car at $50k+ and sell hundreds a year. I'm more than happy to spend my money on something else.

Quote:
you obviously aren't prepared to pay that. and seeing how you're comparing a 50k car to a 64k car shows me that you either have money to burn and don't care or you're full of shit. If you can afford the CTS-V then get it you won't be disappointed. and fewer people can afford it.
These aren't exotics, a lot of people can afford them. It's whether they feel it's worth it to buy them.

In your examples before, the Z28 is a few thousand over the GT500. The GT500 is a $50k car, so the starting price for the Z28 would be $52k-$54k. The base CTS-V is $62k and will probably be better equipped in it's base model. So you're really probably only talking about a $5k difference or less, comparably equipped. And who knows what the markup for the Z28 might be for the first year or two.

I'm not full of shit, don't have money to burn, but I do know what I want and aren't willing to just throw money away for a badge.

Quote:
If chrysler was in a position to produce a ton of them and didn't have greedy dealers more challengers would have sold.
Everybody has greedy dealers, not just Chrysler. That's not why Challengers aren't sold in the same quantities.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #246
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Great. Keep the car at $50k+ and sell hundreds a year. I'm more than happy to spend my money on something else.

that's your decision as a buyer.

These aren't exotics, a lot of people can afford them. It's whether they feel it's worth it to buy them.
a lot more people can afford them yes. but most would rather spend money on a nice house. . .where in reality it should be spent first.

In your examples before, the Z28 is a few thousand over the GT500. The GT500 is a $50k car, so the starting price for the Z28 would be $52k-$54k. The base CTS-V is $62k and will probably be better equipped in it's base model. So you're really probably only talking about a $5k difference or less, comparably equipped.

I've actually kept saying this. the gt500 is $49400ish plus or minus $100. so it's not exactly 50k. and I also saying this I expect the Z to be with in plus or minus 2k. 47400-51400. I expect over but I keep a range seeing how this is a varying market.

The CTS-v actually starts out at 63,450 (destination included). you can't add in the destination charge on the gt500 and the Z plus some mythical numbers and subtract the destination and extra on the V to make your argument sound better. you are also comparing performance luxury to basic performance. yea for 50k you should get a nice interior, but at 63k you should get an outstanding one if you're giving up on some performance. I fully expect the Z to out perform the V by a slight margin. due to weight and a possible bump in power.

And who knows what the markup for the Z28 might be for the first year or two.

Don't pay one. I'm not. I've found a dealer that will sell one to me at MSRP. and guess what I'm still going to try to get a discount on it when I go in to actually buy it. does it mean I'm not willing to pay MSRP, no. just I'm going to try and get a better deal. that's my job as a buyer.
I'm not full of shit, don't have money to burn, but I do know what I want and aren't willing to just throw money away for a badge.

we are both in the same situation with money. I do know what I want. and I'm fully expecting to pay 55k out the door. I'm hoping for less but hey plan for the worst.

Everybody has greedy dealers, not just Chrysler. That's not why Challengers aren't sold in the same quantities.
I agree with the first part. but I have traveled across the states and even after the challengers started stacking up on the lots most dealers were still asking an AMV. Louisville, ky, San Antonio texas, Raleigh nc, Charlotte, nc myrtle beach sc and many more places. their dealer network just sucks. This just isn't challengers this happens to; that just happens to be the specific car we are talking about.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #247
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Here is another thought pricing and i think 1SS makes a good point, at 50k thats a pretty big dicision for some people specially for a car that in reality face it, is not all that practicle, fun yes. But if your getting people up there in that range alot will have the money and wont care, but a lot will have the money but will be choosy and do theyre shopping. If you can provide a car that beats the mustang and is 2-3 grand cheaper that looks so much better to a buyer. Thats why I think a price of 45-46 looks good because it undercuts the 500 and is same price as the challenger. Now you will be pulling away buyers from challenger as well, but challengers sales I would guess are on looks not just performance. If you keep it under 50 you are not encroaching on vette sales either. Face it over 50k you would be a moron to buy a camaro instead of a vette or CTS-V.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #248
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Here is another thought pricing and i think 1SS makes a good point, at 50k thats a pretty big dicision for some people specially for a car that in reality face it, is not all that practicle, fun yes. But if your getting people up there in that range alot will have the money and wont care, but a lot will have the money but will be choosy and do theyre shopping. If you can provide a car that beats the mustang and is 2-3 grand cheaper that looks so much better to a buyer. Thats why I think a price of 45-46 looks good because it undercuts the 500 and is same price as the challenger. Now you will be pulling away buyers from challenger as well, but challengers sales I would guess are on looks not just performance. If you keep it under 50 you are not encroaching on vette sales either. Face it over 50k you would be a moron to buy a camaro instead of a vette or CTS-V.

I don't know though - If I had the money, as long as the performance-per-dollar were there, I'd still get Z28 if it got close to $60K. Call me stupid or crazy or whatever is appropriate, but that's how much I want this car. I hope GM is either watching or has taken your points into consideration. They're certainly nothing new, however, the value has to be there.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #249
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
Quote:
. Face it over 50k you would be a moron to buy a camaro instead of a vette or CTS-V.

How would someone be a moron to spend their money they way they want?? Kind of judgemental, don't ya think?

Some people, like myself, would rather have the Z because it has two extra seats, be it not large ones and more trunk space. Also, getting in and out of a Vette is hard for me and I personally think the seats in the Vette suck. Before you say anything, I am a former V owner(for 11 mos.) and got rid of it for reasons stated previously in other threads. Also, 63k for a base V...you're not getting out of there under 70k once you add in dest, ttl, gas guzzler tax, extended warranty, mastercare plan( which you want cause maintenance on the sucker is expensive and anything you try to do yourself voids the warranty), etc. So, your gonna be looking at a 10-14k difference at least.
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #250
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiesel View Post
How would someone be a moron to spend their money they way they want?? Kind of judgemental, don't ya think?

Some people, like myself, would rather have the Z because it has two extra seats, be it not large ones and more trunk space. Also, getting in and out of a Vette is hard for me and I personally think the seats in the Vette suck. Before you say anything, I am a former V owner(for 11 mos.) and got rid of it for reasons stated previously in other threads. Also, 63k for a base V...you're not getting out of there under 70k once you add in dest, ttl, gas guzzler tax, extended warranty, mastercare plan( which you want cause maintenance on the sucker is expensive and anything you try to do yourself voids the warranty), etc. So, your gonna be looking at a 10-14k difference at least.

Please elaborate... That could be a little iffy...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #251
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
The mastercare plan is basically where you pay for three years of maintenance staright out instead of everytime you need it. Over the life of the warranty it saves you a couple grand. Hell, the oil changes alone were 150 buck or so, not to mentioning balancing the tires. The way it was explained to me was that if someone outside of the dealer did an oil change or maintenance and a problem happened, warranty void. Not to mention all you could change on it was the exhaust and keep your factory warranty.
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #252
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
a price can look good but doesn't make it possible. remember we are talking about a car that doesn't exsist yet. we don't know how much it will cost GM to build these cars. that's why I'm trying to be a realist and expect it to be closer to 47-51k base + destination.

why would I be a moron if I would rather have a Z28 over a CTS-V? the starting price is roughly 13k over what we've been talking about. that's not including all the taxes and fees. which won't be proportional. you're going to pay more tax on a 63k car then a 50k. so it's going to be more then 13k difference. that's quite a jump for some people.

again, as has been stated before, a vette is a little harder to live with then a camaro. less seats, less cargo room, etc. also the base vette more then likely won't out perform a Z28 from the factory. And when the C7 comes out the price of the vette will go up also. expect it.