Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
BADBLACKSS
Xtreme Horsepower

Drives: Black 2010 SS
Problems with ground effects

Got my new Camaro a short time ago. The front part of the ground effects is already off.

Driving at 65 and the front part just started to fall off. I stopped in time to save it. (still is damaged) Just didn't run over it. I had to take it off this weekend to even drive it.

Anybody have the same problem?
BADBLACKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
When you were taking it off, was it really easy? I'm wondering if the installer just did a piss-poor job on the install.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
cerberus

Drives: 2010 CGM
I know my dealer installed many rivets for the front along with letting the 3M adhesive cure for 24 hours. I know someone around here that when they had the GFX installed, the installer didn’t install front rivets and it started coming apart like yours. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
PTPhilip

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24403

This is another thread started about the same issue. I have been waiting about a month for the replacement to come in after mine completely fell off and shattered on the ground. My suggestion is to take it off and wait untill you can get to a dealer and have it fixed.
PTPhilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
BalogUK
THE architect.

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
as an FYI there is a nationwide backorder...my original set has no ETA for arrival.

awesome.
#34122 EMPTIED, AT YARD ON 8/26/09; Delivered 9/07/09
MODS: Borla ATAK Cat-Back GFX (#140378), 35% Ceramic all-around, CAI, Inc. Intake w/ Scoop, Hurst Short Throw, Heritage Grille, GM Dove Tail, Laser Interceptor Triple v8.9, Passport Max, Pfadt ZL Stage 2
BalogUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
bdstealth

Drives: 2SS/RS White/blk int.M6,GFX
Mine gfx came in last friday 8/28.Just waiting for them to paint them before having them installed by the dealer.
bdstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
cerberus

Drives: 2010 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdstealth View Post
Mine gfx came in last friday 8/28.Just waiting for them to paint them before having them installed by the dealer.
Just make sure that they install rivitets on the front chin and let the adhesive dry 24 hours.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Just sent my dealer a note with this link...I don't want mine falling off on my 450 mile trip home this weekend! :(
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
i think some dealers are short cutting the instructions, the double sided tape is only to hold the front ground effect in place till you remove the entire front bumper cover and install the rivets from the back side, it says right in the instructions that the tape will not hold by itself and will damage the ground effect if you do not use the rivets. plus gm only pays 3 hours to install them and most gm techs are paid flat rate so for us to make money we need to do the job in less than 3 hours(which isnt happening)
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Lucky SOB

The above thread is mine...

I just had the replacement installed two weeks ago finally.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
i think some dealers are short cutting the instructions, the double sided tape is only to hold the front ground effect in place till you remove the entire front bumper cover and install the rivets from the back side, it says right in the instructions that the tape will not hold by itself and will damage the ground effect if you do not use the rivets. plus gm only pays 3 hours to install them and most gm techs are paid flat rate so for us to make money we need to do the job in less than 3 hours(which isnt happening)
For those who already have the front GFX installed the old way, consider putting a few rivets on the underside of the GFX into the bottom of the fascia. Both pieces run underneath the car and can be riveted to each other as close to the front as possible. The rivets will be visible but you will have to be underneath the car to see them.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
PTPhilip

After falling off the first day I had my car I finally got word that the replacement will be in this tuesday after the holiday....over a month since it was ordered
PTPhilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Boogie832
12-08-08 Arrived 06-02-09

Drives: 1967 Camaro Richmond5-speed
If it had been installed "right", then it wouldn't be coming off! Unless it got hit or drugged on something.

My gnd effts were my dealers 1st one and they wanted to make sure they followed the "thick" instructions book to a tee to make sure it was done right.

End results....................a perfect job....over 2000 miles later...still look perfect!

Ordered 2SS/RS IOM,12/08/08.
Arrived at Dealer 06-02-09
Brought Home! 06-09-09
Boogie832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
AZ2SSRS

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
All the problems can usually be traced to the fact that the dealer installing the GFX did not follow each installation step. Thanks to Camaro5, I was able to provide my dealer's accessories manager with a copy of the instructions.

As a result, the dealer was adament that I couldn't drive my Camaro for 24 hours after install and made a point of the fact that they used all of the rivets provided with the kit.

I would certainly check to see if the rivets are installed before accepting the car. The 3M tape alone will not cut it at high speed.
AZ2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote