Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Exclamation How often do you really need to change motor oil?

How often do you really need to change motor oil?

By Brandy Schaffels, Senior Editor | TrueCar – Tue, Mar 27, 2012 7:43 PM EDT

Do you change your oil every 3,000 miles? The majority of drivers on the road have been bombarded by advertising that recommends changing their car's oil every 3,000 miles, but the truth is that interval is no longer really necessary. Yes, engine oil does get dirty, and when that happens, it can clog engine parts, but if you’re driving a car that’s less than five years old, you’re probably wasting money — and oil — if you change it as frequently as that. Yes, knowing when to change oil is not as simple as some ad campaigns would have you believe.

Changing the oil in your car every 3,000 miles was necessary in the 1970s, when most cars used 10W-40 oil, which tended to wear out within about 3,000 miles. Thanks to improvements in high-quality lubricants and tighter tolerances in the assembly of automotive engines, the 3,000-mile baseline simply does not apply to many cars on the road today; in fact, automakers now recommend you change oil at 5,000, 7,000, 10,000 or even as high as 15,000 miles for newer models under ideal driving conditions. For example, Toyota recommends you change oil at 5,000 miles for a 2005 Tacoma pickup, Honda recommends 7,500 miles for its 2002 Odyssey, General Motors suggests 7,500 miles for its 2007 Chevrolet Malibu, and Ford recommends 10,000 miles for its 2011 Fiesta. A 2008 Porsche Boxster can go 12,000 miles between changes, and a 2010 BMW 3 Series can go up to 15,000 miles before you change oil under ideal conditions; with this kind of complexity, it’s easy for consumers to be confused.

Almost 15 million Californians change their motor oil every 3,000 miles or more often, using more than 150 million gallons of motor oil each year – enough oil to fill 255 Olympic-sized swimming pools, according to a recent study by CalRecycle. CalRecycle spokesperson Jeff Danzinger says their studies indicate the state could reduce total motor oil consumption by as much as 10 million gallons per year if motorists were to change oil according to manufacturer recommendations. "If you're changing your oil too soon, you're needlessly creating waste oil and putting a strain on the system and supply," Danzinger explains.

And that’s just California — wonder how much oil is being wasted across the entire United States by people who have fallen victim to advertising and don’t follow the intervals recommended in their owner’s manual? Across the country, reprocessors treat about 1.1 billion gallons of used oil yearly according to the American Petroleum Institute (API).

Unless you’re driving a car that's more than ten years old, or under super extreme conditions, there’s really no reason to change your oil at 3000 miles anymore. Let’s put that amount into dollars: Changing motor oil according to manufacturer specifications would reduce motor oil demand in California by approximately 10 million gallons per year, and could halve the amount of money those drivers spend on oil changes, which average about $25 at quick-change facilities and can cost significantly more if your vehicle uses long-life synthetic oil. Under normal driving conditions, following the automaker’s recommended intervals will not affect your car’s engine, its performance, or your warranty.

What Is Considered Severe Use?

Severe use involves extensive idling or driving frequently in stop-and-go traffic; operating in cold temperatures below 10 degrees or extreme temperatures above 90 degrees; extreme humidity; repeated short-distance trips of less than five miles; towing a trailer or hauling heavy materials; or using E85 fuel more than 50 percent of the time. If you do drive in any one of these conditions in a typical week, you are driving in severe conditions, and may need to change oil more often.

What Happens if you Don't Change Oil in Your Car?

As Alina Tugend of the New York Times says, "It just gets dirtier and dirtier. It’s like mopping the floor with a bucket of water and detergent. The water starts out clean, but the more you use it, the filthier it gets. Eventually, you’re making the floor dirtier if you don’t change the water." Dirty oil no longer lubricates properly, increasing friction, operating temperature, and causing the engine to wear faster.

Do You Know When to Change Oil?

Your vehicle’s owners manual will tell you how often you need to change your oil. If you drive a newer model, the car may just tell you when you need to change your oil. Since 2003, General Motors has equipped nearly its entire North American lineup with the GM Oil Life System; in fact, since the 2010 model year, nearly half of American carmakers now offer Oil Life Monitoring Systems to tell drivers when their car actually needs its oil changed, including Acura, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, and Mini. These Oil Life Monitoring systems automatically monitor engine characteristics, driving habits, cold starts, short-distance trips, and the climate in which the vehicle is operated, and then notify the driver when it is time to get an engine oil change with an signal on the dash indicating it's time for service.

If you are an extremely low-mileage driver you should change oil at least once a year. Otherwise, if your vehicle is equipped with an oil life monitoring system, you can trust the info/alert in your dashboard to tell you more accurately when you need a change. Don’t have an Oil Life Monitoring System? Consult your owner’s manual, your auto manufacturer’s official website, or authorized dealer for more information. Curious about your car right now but don’t have an owner’s manual handy? You can find suggested oil change intervals for many makes and models all the way back to the 2000 model year on the nifty widget at www.checkyournumber.org.

Tired Of Changing Your Oil Every 3,000 Miles?

Then trade in that beat-up 1970's jalopy for something newer! Consider these new models that boast 10,000 to 15,000 oil change intervals:

All 2012 Audi models suggest you change oil at 10,000 miles
All 2012 BMW models suggest you change oil at 15,000 miles
2012 Ford Fiesta, Flex, Focus, and Mustang models suggest you change oil at 10,000 miles
All 2012 Jaguar models suggest you change oil at 10,000 miles
2012 Lincoln MKT and MKX models suggest you change oil at 10,000 miles
All 2012 Mercedes-Benz models suggest you change oil at 12,000 miles
All 2012 Mini Cooper models suggest you change oil at 12,000 miles
All 2012 Porsche models suggest you change oil at 10,000 miles, though some can go as far as 12,000 miles between oil changes
Nearly all 2012 Toyota models go 10,000 miles between oil changes
All Volkswagen models can go 10,000 miles between oil changes

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Busy_Boi
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: RJT 2010 camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Busy_Boi
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
5,000 miles
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Love it... great post!
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
My car had me over 10k miles once. I didn't like it. I'm just going every 5k right now.

But doesn't the oil life indication system have to be reset when the oil is changed or does it automatically do it?

(When I say it had me over 10k I mean it alerted me so close to 10k that I ended up going over before I got the chance to change)
Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
we do 5,000 miles on our Equinox. The local chevy dealer offers 9.99 oil changes, cant beat that.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
My car had me over 10k miles once. I didn't like it. I'm just going every 5k right now.

But doesn't the oil life indication system have to be reset when the oil is changed or does it automatically do it?
(When I say it had me over 10k I mean it alerted me so close to 10k that I ended up going over before I got the chance to change)
You have to reset it yourself, the engine can't tell when fresh oil has been put in the crankcase, yet.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
You have to reset it yourself, the engine can't tell when fresh oil has been put in the crankcase, yet.
Ah. Ok, I figured as much. Last I had it changed I did it at Jiffy Lube. Because, believe it or not, one of the dealers here refuse to touch my car even to do an oil change. Not sure if they reset the oil indicator.

And the other dealer is awesome but it takes them all day to do an oil change because they are just busy. But they too are NOT fans of engine mods.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Until they make an air filter that does not let any dirt through I'm going to keep changing mine every 3,000 miles.
Remember, those recommendations are from people who want you to buy a new car every 5 years.
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
My f150 manual says 7,500 miles. That's about what I put on a year, so I change all the cars every 6 months or so. LOL
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Until they make an air filter that does not let any dirt through I'm going to keep changing mine every 3,000 miles.
Remember, those recommendations are from people who want you to buy a new car every 5 years.

and the 3000 mile change was pushed by the oil manufacturers who want to sell oil. I believe the guy who is warrantying my motor.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Look into the LLT timing chain issues in vehicles like my wife's old Acadia... Wife followed the Oil Life Monitor (which at one point GM changed and reduced the miles) and ended up having the timing chains replaced TWICE in 80,000 miles! Dumped the Acadia after the timing chains were fixed the second time... I know handle the oil changes in her Flex.. full synthetic every 5,000.... cheap insurance!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
I average 8500 miles a year, so I change my oil twice a year regardless of miles. Every 6 months full synthetic.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
You do realize that if dirt got through your air filter and somehow made it to your oil, you have far larger problems than changing the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
and the 3000 mile change was pushed by the oil manufacturers who want to sell oil. I believe the guy who is warrantying my motor.
Exactly.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote