Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
A dented pan could easily block or restrict fluid flow. The pickup filter sits quite close to the bottom.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The labor is going to be a killer, front suspension and subframe have to come out.
For the TRANSMISSION pan?

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
Great story......

The fluid filter acts as the fluid pick up. If the pan is smashed into the filter it could be stopping flow or could have broken the filter all together. Long term use with the filter restricted or broken will cause complete failure of the tranny over time. Also, there are a number of switches and things in the same area attatched to your valve body that regulate pressure flow for each gear. Remove the pan, inspect the area, change any broken parts, drain and flush, and refill adding a bottle of Lucas Stop Slip for good measure. If it has not been long since it was damaged you shouldn't have any issues with it after this, I hope everything works out for you.

Or you could go a head and up grade the tranny and not have to worry about it again. Its aleady going to cost you $$$$$$$$$$$ so might as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
That and there is no conventional fill tube to refill the trans.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberBri View Post
I took my car in because the tranny is macking some noises from time to time. The just called me back and said that my trans pan is dented and that could be restricting flow and causing the noises and slipping I feel from time to time. Does this sound like bs?? The worse part is its $300 for a new pan filter and fluids...NOt sure what to do.

I want it fixed because im putting lt`s and a tune on this weekend so i wil not have a warranty...
This is a cutaway of the 6l80. The pan itself is fairly shallow so it wouldn`t surprise me that depending how large the dent is it would interfere with transmission fluid flow.
Attached Images

mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #20
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
and the filter sits right on the bottom of the pan, with the inlet on the bottom of the filter.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
I hit a big rock that fell from a cliff in a 1996 Nissan Sentra. Drove it home about a mile away. The tranny pan was shattered! Insurance scrapped it as the car was fully insured (I do that because big rocks and safes fall from the sky aiming for me daily) and the insurance company "totalled it" and cut me a check.

I knew the guy at the place they took it to inspect it, and he found a used tranny in Seattle for $320 and he offered to swap it out for another $300. So I asked the insurance babe if I could buy the car back and got a resounding NO! Nowadays, they have a whole side industry of places that take the totalled car, disassemble it, and categorize it, and place it into inventory and re-sell the parts like a junkyard. Whatever is left is sold off as scrap steel.

Oh yeah, about the subject matter, I would pay the $300, and if it isn't fixed, then you know it aint the dent. And who wants a dented pan, may leak eventually.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
For the TRANSMISSION pan?

John B.
oops, your correct, for some reason I was thinking of the oil pan. Trans pan labor shouldn't be too high. I looked up the warranty flat rate and it is .8 So retail work may be a bit over an hour of labor.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
I've known PLENTY of stupid, young drivers as well, so that logic doesn't wash.
I never said that "old" drivers are the only ones who should hang up the keys... plenty of others fall into that category, too... but, ask the postmaster general of Florida what his thoughts on the matter are, he may be able to offer greater insight.

This was a case of somebody, for SOME reason, unable to determine what the safe response would be after a violent collision like that... and, in this case, it appears to be a case of "too old to drive."

Anecdotal, sure... but can be added to a long list of other examples to become statistical.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
...I do that because big rocks and safes fall from the sky aiming for me daily...
That happens... pretty sure there's a certain roadrunner responsible for that.

A friend of mine had a rock come off of the mountain, go through the winshield, and crush his hand. Yes, he was lucky that it didn't kill him, but wayward rocks a' rollin' ain't no joke!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #25
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Ya so i just talked to him and told him to go ahead and do the pan. Also told him to inspect the internalswhile the pan was off. He said he will and even if everything looks good but it craps out down the road it will documented and he will try and take care of it under warranty for me and i got it down to like 280.00

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
CyberBri
BRUCE WAYNES DD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Thanks for all of your input and information guys!!!! Il try ad get the old pan for a pic...

CyberBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Ask to see the pan. If it is dented it is indeed your fault.
If he bought it from my dealer, they may have dented it before delivery. How many of us check UNDER before taking the keys?
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #28
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Ask to see the pan. If it is dented it is indeed your fault.
it won't take them a sec to put the dent there and say SEE?
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote