Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Question About States Where They Pump Your Gas For You (NJ & OR)

I live in PA (they let us pump our own gas), but I have a question about other states (like NJ) that pump for you. If I visit one of those states and don't want them touching my car, will they let me work the nozzle end of the hose? Just curious as last time I was in Jersey, I couldn't make it back to PA without stopping for gas. I was in my '72 beetle at the time (which took me 5yrs to fully restore) and the guy took the gas cap off (not attached) and set it, wet end down, directly on the fresh clear coat on the hood. I promptly instructed him to remove it, so he moved it to the top of the pump. He also was nowhere as careful as I'd have been about drips, etc. The whole situation irritated me, which is why I'm curious what would happen if I refused to let them touch my car. Are there laws governing this? Not planning on traveling any time soon, just curious.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items

Last edited by snymat68; 12-18-2013 at 01:24 PM.
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
I was up in Oregan. I beat the guy to the pump and pumped my own. he said he was sorry and busy. I said I was from the south of the boarder didn't mind pumping my own gas.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Josh The People

Drives: TT 10' SS -> 16' SS
bring some jerrycans!! but on a serious note I don't know , here in Canada you can pump your own. I don't let anyone pump gas in my car!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
technically it's against the law at least in NJ

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Just found this on another site:

N.J.S.A. 34:3A-6 provides as follows:
It shall be unlawful for any attendant to:
a. Dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle while the vehicle's engine is in operation;
b. Dispense fuel into any portable container not in compliance with regulations adopted pursuant to section 8 of this act;
c. Dispense fuel while smoking; or
d. Permit any person who is not an attendant to dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle or any container.
The law provides that it is the attendant who is committing the unlawful act and not the driver.
The fines to which the attendant is subject are pursuant to N.J.S.A. 34:3A-10, which provides in relevant part:
A violator of any provision of this act shall be liable for a penalty of not less than $50.00 and not more than $250.00 for a first offense and not more than $500.00 for each subsequent offense.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
Just found this on another site:

N.J.S.A. 34:3A-6 provides as follows:
It shall be unlawful for any attendant to:
a. Dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle while the vehicle's engine is in operation;
b. Dispense fuel into any portable container not in compliance with regulations adopted pursuant to section 8 of this act;
c. Dispense fuel while smoking; or
d. Permit any person who is not an attendant to dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle or any container.
The law provides that it is the attendant who is committing the unlawful act and not the driver.
The fines to which the attendant is subject are pursuant to N.J.S.A. 34:3A-10, which provides in relevant part:
A violator of any provision of this act shall be liable for a penalty of not less than $50.00 and not more than $250.00 for a first offense and not more than $500.00 for each subsequent offense.
That is seriously so retarded
Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
News to me
Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Trekkie

Drives: Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via ICQ to Trekkie Send a message via AIM to Trekkie Send a message via MSN to Trekkie Send a message via Yahoo to Trekkie
I've visited my in laws a few times in Oregon and had rental cars that needed filling or was driving a family car, so I wasn't super worried about how they filled.

however, in the region I was in (south western oregon, outside Eugene a bit) the folks that filled the cars the two weeks I was there were pretty decent about it and weren't any else careful than I am with my cars. They don't 'top off' as much but in my experience topping off now more spills on the ground than tops off the tank especially with Ford's 'cap-less' cars.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. YMMV of course, I was in the 'small town' area and half of them knew it was my father in law's car and was wondering who I was driving it kinda thing (think there were 14 people in my wife's graduating class) so that might have had something to do with it.
Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
wadeh

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/M6, Silver Ice Metallic
I always plan my trips through Oregon so that I have sufficient fuel to make it all the way through without needing to fill up.
wadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
They left me pump my own when on a motorcycle, not in a car though. As stated above, it's technically against the law.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Craig B

Drives: 2013 1LE
NJ is a shit hole!!! They have a law for everything. Some gas stations will let you pump your own.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
new jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
technically it's against the law at least in NJ
Living in New Jersy should be against the law.ha
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
Its bullshit to say the least. For my camaros i make sure i pump my own gas, only ever had one guy freak on me and I gave it right back I didn't care. its my car not his.

I also had one of those "gas attendants" let the cap fall on my paint instead of hooking it to the door. I was out of my car instantly, he asked me what I wanted and I told him learn how to pump gas and respect other peoples property (other words were in that sentence also ). He just looked at me in shock. I put my gas cap on and left without getting any gas. He stood there looking stupid and not comprehending what just happened. Idiot. My DD has all kinda of scratches from exactly that and I dont want that on my camaros.

I wish they would just let us pump gas here... although people lack the intelligence to even consider such a thing.

1986 Camaro IROC-Z - 305 TPI, cammed, GMMG exhaust, t56 6Spd swap, custom headlights with halos
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I live in Oregon and have most of my life, and have never had a problem with gas station attendants.......... I am in the over fifty club.