Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
jxmot

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS
swaybar question

I'm not an experienced "modder" so if this is a dumb question (or has been asked already, searched found nothing) I apologize....

Is something like this - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-22109/
a worthwhile investment ? For somewhat "normal" daily driving would a mod like that be noticable ?

thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxmot View Post
I'm not an experienced "modder" so if this is a dumb question (or has been asked already, searched found nothing) I apologize....

a worthwhile investment ? For somewhat "normal" daily driving would a mod like that be noticable ?

thanks!
This isn't a dumb question at all. Sway bars provide balance and roll stiffness to the platform and the Camaro needs both badly. I haven't tested the Hotchkis set-up personally but based on the rate increases they won't help with the balance issues but they will help with body roll. These particular bars may in fact increase the understeer based on the rates published.

The sway bars will increase steering response and they make the car feel more nimble as well as keep it flatter in the corners. They don't effect ride quality as they are only working in the corners. We feel sway bars should be the first upgrade in terms providing balance. We've done a lot of testing and we've come up with a balanced package that reduces the body roll.

Click on the image for more information

Please feel free to call or email us anytime. We can help you put together a package that suits your needs and budget.

Kind regards,
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
jxmot

Thank you for the response and the information. I've learned something new today, thanks!

In regards to installation this probably not something I would install myself. Who or what kind of shop should I look for to install swaybars?

Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:

thanks!
It is our feeling before doing any suspension upgrade, you must first decide a long term goal, especially with sway bars. For example, if you planned on doing only sway bars and maybe wheels and tires, then I would recommend our Pedders front sway bar only. For stock suspension, doing the front sway bar takes a serious dent out of the major understeer the Camaro has. Now if you planned on some performance drop coils or maybe our Pedders Xa Coil overs that we offer, then you can take full advantage of a multiple adjustable sway bar assembly.

Thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
jxmot

If I understand correctly....

Right now I don't plan on changing the tires, wheels, or other suspension components in the near future. So with that I'd only need to install a front sway bar. My goal is to improve overall handling.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
PfadtRacing

Quote:
If I understand correctly....

Right now I don't plan on changing the tires, wheels, or other suspension components in the near future. So with that I'd only need to install a front sway bar. My goal is to improve overall handling.
I would recommend using our Balance Bar if this is your goal. It's a rear bar replacement and with the increased rate it eliminates the understeer while controlling overall body roll. It was designed to work with the factory front bar to bring balance to the chassis. If you did the front bar only you'd need to decrease the rate which wouldn't help control body roll as well. It's a great option!

Click on the Image for more Info!

Please feel free to call or email us anytime! :flag2:

Kind regards,
Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
i just installed a set of these bars in my car and i can tell you they made a huge difference. i have this huge right handed sweeping on ramp i take every morning and the car just feels so much more planted and stable. great bars, and now i'm waiting on there springs. hotchkis makes a great product, i've been using there stuff since 2001 on several different vehicles and i cant say enough good things about them.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
It is our feeling before doing any suspension upgrade, you must first decide a long term goal, especially with sway bars. For example, if you planned on doing only sway bars and maybe wheels and tires, then I would recommend our Pedders front sway bar only. For stock suspension, doing the front sway bar takes a serious dent out of the major understeer the Camaro has. Now if you planned on some performance drop coils or maybe our Pedders Xa Coil overs that we offer, then you can take full advantage of a multiple adjustable sway bar assembly.

Thanks
mike
dms
Hi Mike,

Are you decreasing the rate of your front bar to reduce understeer? If you do this the body roll will be increased but you will provide more overall front grip. If you're increasing it you're going to create more understeer? In order to remove understeer you must increase the rear rate or decrease the front rate; it's really pretty simple and nothing that we invented. But what you're saying is a contradiction to suspension tuning philosophy. I'm actually kind of beside myself?

Kind regards,
Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Hi Mike,

Are you decreasing the rate of your front bar to reduce understeer?
I was thinking the exact same thing...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
jxmot

If I understand correctly there are 3 sway bar options for me -

1) Rear only
2) Front only
3) Front and Rear

It also appears to me that option 3 generally provides some adjustment in the rear sway bar. Is that correct?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is how do I choose from those options ? I think (not sure, this isn't an "educated" guess) that taking into account any future mods (i.e. suspension) that the best choice for me is #3. Opinions and information is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:

1) Rear only
2) Front only
3) Front and Rear

It also appears to me that option 3 generally provides some adjustment in the rear sway bar. Is that correct?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is how do I choose from those options ? I think (not sure, this isn't an "educated" guess) that taking into account any future mods (i.e. suspension) that the best choice for me is #3. Opinions and information is appreciated.

Thanks!
Our Pedders sway bar kits will be multi adjustable front and rear. To be honest, the bars are not that seriously expensive and may have some savings buying them as a set. The front units take about an hour, and the rears are about 1/2 hour. If you expect to do some additional suspension work in the future, then do both.

Now we have a totally different approach to others. This is what we have found with our testing so far. First of all, lets look at hitting a very hard corner. The corner should be divided into 3 sections: entering, middle and exiting. All are very distinctly different. The three sections require different procedure for completion. I feel the novice and intermediate driver will have the biggest problems during the first 2 sections of the turn.We will have a special front bar that will work better for the first 2 parts. Now the rear bar will work better on the exiting of the turn than the front, but will hinder the critical entering of the turn. So for the novice we feel the front bar will work better all in all.

Now one thing we are doing is making our front bar rather huge I think it will be the largest bar on the market. So we should have this larger bar very shortly and will be able to test it out and also test the useage of the rear bar as well. We added additional adjustments front and rear over initial design to give us additional adjustability. So We should have this all worked out very soon.

thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barret Dorian View Post
The difference is the diameter of the sway bar. The thicker bar will be stiffer and will cause less body roll they give balance measure

Miami car service
There is a lot more than simply diameter; wall thickness is also a large factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing...

Quote:

1) Rear only
2) Front only
3) Front and Rear

Thanks!
Our Sport Sway Bar package is really the way to go. If your budget doesn't allow it then the Balance Bar is a great option. Please give me a call anytime and I'd be happy to answer your questions. We know how to balance a chassis and a lot of the suspension information out there is seriously wrong.

Kind regards,
Old 08-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Our Pedders sway bar kits will be multi adjustable front and rear. To be honest, the bars are not that seriously expensive and may have some savings buying them as a set. The front units take about an hour, and the rears are about 1/2 hour. If you expect to do some additional suspension work in the future, then do both.

Now we have a totally different approach to others. This is what we have found with our testing so far. First of all, lets look at hitting a very hard corner. The corner should be divided into 3 sections: entering, middle and exiting. All are very distinctly different. The three sections require different procedure for completion. I feel the novice and intermediate driver will have the biggest problems during the first 2 sections of the turn.We will have a special front bar that will work better for the first 2 parts. Now the rear bar will work better on the exiting of the turn than the front, but will hinder the critical entering of the turn. So for the novice we feel the front bar will work better all in all.

Now one thing we are doing is making our front bar rather huge I think it will be the largest bar on the market. So we should have this larger bar very shortly and will be able to test it out and also test the useage of the rear bar as well. We added additional adjustments front and rear over initial design to give us additional adjustability. So We should have this all worked out very soon.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 08-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
Quote:

thanks
mike
dms
mike do you guys have a shop in the bay area? if so where is it located?
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote