Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
dlink

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
How to clean your CAI intake

Just curious what tips/procedures you might have for cleaning a non oiled intake. Noticed mine looks like it could use some cleaning.
dlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
What parts are you cleaning?

If it's the filter, you can shake it out. But if it's a dry filter... you just replace the filter if it's dirty.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
What parts are you cleaning?

If it's the filter, you can shake it out. But if it's a dry filter... you just replace the filter if it's dirty.
what?

if its a dry filter (no oil) you can clean it in dawn soap/water, let it dry, and then install

for an oiled filter you must use a dedicated filter cleaner, dawn/water, or a degreaser to remove the oil and dirt. once you have cleaned it set it to dry and once dry you apply clean air filter oil before installing it. don't over use the oil though

if it is a stock paper panel filter (stock intake) then you just chuck those and replace with another
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
what?

if its a dry filter (no oil) you can clean it in dawn soap/water, let it dry, and then install
I just prefer to replace dry filters over cleaning them. Oiled filters help trap dust with the oil, dry filters use a tighter weave. I always feel like water and soap mess with the weave. I'll shake it out, give a little vacuum, but if it's dirty enough that I think it needs to be fully cleaned, I'll replace my dry filters for peace of mind.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
I use a mild detergent and water to clean my dry filter. Don't blow the filter using an air compressor as it can create holes.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
dlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
what?

for an oiled filter you must use a dedicated filter cleaner, dawn/water, or a degreaser to remove the oil and dirt. once you have cleaned it set it to dry and once dry you apply clean air filter oil before installing it. don't over use the oil though

if it is a stock paper panel filter (stock intake) then you just chuck those and replace with another
great! Thanks for the tips and I should've been more specific i have a CAI intake. I bought it used without the original box and I believe it's a dry intake but that leads me to my next question..

If you were to clean a dry intake the way you would an oiled intake would you be putting the dry intake in any harm?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
dlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I just prefer to replace dry filters over cleaning them. Oiled filters help trap dust with the oil, dry filters use a tighter weave. I always feel like water and soap mess with the weave. I'll shake it out, give a little vacuum, but if it's dirty enough that I think it needs to be fully cleaned, I'll replace my dry filters for peace of mind.
I don't have a stock airbox which i should've mentioned. In that instance it would make sense to just replace the entire filter but i have a performance intake that I wouldn't dispose
Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Got a picture of your intake?

I have a CAI inc. brand intake on the Camaro, I clean and oil that one as needed.

I have an AEM Dry Filter on my supercharger of my Monte Carlo, it's a dry filter, but I just replace it if it is that noticeably dirty, because it's leading to a blower and it's only $50.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
Gossamer

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
i was lucky, I bought my CAI system used the previous owner bought a second filter, so when i'm cleaning, drying and oiling I've got a second so i can just rotate.

Means I'll never need to buy a replacement filter either unless I find a way to damage them.
Gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote