Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #141
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
A fellow at work this past week asked me 'How does a guy your age, at a job like this, drive a car like that?'

I didn't know a V6 Camaro was no hard to come by. I tell them to stop drinking, smoking, playing in the clubs, and have illegitimate children with several mothers and they could have something nice, too. Granted, that doesn't apply to everyone, but to some of these folks who wonder where all my supposed pay raises come from...
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #142
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
A fellow at work this past week asked me 'How does a guy your age, at a job like this, drive a car like that?'

I didn't know a V6 Camaro was no hard to come by. I tell them to stop drinking, smoking, playing in the clubs, and have illegitimate children with several mothers and they could have something nice, too. Granted, that doesn't apply to everyone, but to some of these folks who wonder where all my supposed pay raises come from...
Really if you owned a Toyota Camery that cost the same or more than your Camaro nobody would ever ask you that.

Maybe you could show him a list of dull mundane cars that cost more and ask if one of them would be a better choice for you. Then when he picks one tell him your Camaro costs less than that ugly thing.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #143
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
The parking enforcer doesn't know if it's 2 minutes or two hours.
Expired is expired.

And yes, any one with a Camaro is rich! Perhaps not financially...
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #144
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Really if you owned a Toyota Camery that cost the same or more than your Camaro nobody would ever ask you that.

Maybe you could show him a list of dull mundane cars that cost more and ask if one of them would be a better choice for you. Then when he picks one tell him your Camaro costs less than that ugly thing.

Haha. Good point. I just let em do their thing.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #145
lurchsSS

Drives: '12 IBM 2SS/RS/SS
A decent credit history, work history and down payment got my wife her SS, heck, I was working out of state when she got it!
But she works her ass off and gets what she wants! We can afford the single car payment anyways and with our oldest boy going to be driving soon, we had to bite the bullet on something she would like as her DD since the (paid off) Avalanche was getting handed down to the boy.

We could be living high on the hog if we didn't have 3 kids and nice surroundings....now we're living comfortably with 3 kids and nice surroundings.

'12 Camaro SS auto, L99, IBM, 2SS/RS/SS
'04 Avalanche Z71
'80 Malibu FOR SALE
lurchsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #146
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
$40k is ALOT to me, my camaro is the most expensive car that i have ever bought.

do i feel rich driving it?yep
am i rich? NO
i busted my ass to be able to afford this car
Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #147
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post

I get the opposite. People are usually surprised I have a PhD when they find out where I work and they'll ask why I didn't buy a more expensive car. The conclusions people jump to are funny sometimes.

It is odd though anyone would find it strange a young person would own a Camaro. A lot of my friends growing up have been working since their sophomore year in high school and they all have been paying for their own cars out of their own pocket, the majority being muscle cars. Why anyone would think that is uncommon is ridiculous.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #148
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Yeah, at age 21 everyone always gives me shit for driving the car that I drive. If I park in a parking lot I get stares from old dudes and the occasional, "how do you like taking out daddy's car?"
I just ignore them.
Not gonna take the time to explain to them how I saved up all on my own and purchased this vehicle, not a penny from my parents.
I guess this is also why people (fully grown men) at stop lights give me nasty looks and try to egg me on, and tailgate me.
It's kind of sad.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #149
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
2 things for the OP.
1: Expired is expired, no way around this. You did deserve the ticket/fine.
2: What the officer said was unproffesional and should not be tolerated. If that were me I would at least put in a call or a letter to the supervisor explaining the circumstances and what was said.

As for the cars and the perception of being rich, I hear it from time to time too. I'm now 42 years old. I owned a 96 corvette for 11 years that I traded for my camaro so its not as if I didnt put down a large chunk. I've also been in the military for 15 years so I've worked my way up over the years. E6 pay isnt bad of you manage responsibly. I do still get comments from people at work from time to time. I make sure I remind them that I traded in a paid for car and had just came back from a 7 month deployment whaere I saved up quite a bit.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #150
Black N' Yellow

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I remember at my first car show an old man asking me if the car belonged to my dad. I politely said no, and that I had bought it myself. I'm 20 and get comments like this and a lot worse all the time. Usually it's from older adults but sometimes people my own age too.

Here's what people don't seem to understand: these cars are really nice, but they aren't expensive. Any soccer mom suv or large truck starts at 40K+. What does the camaro start at? 23K

I realize that I am very lucky to have this car at my age but it really grinds my gears when people make comments on how it was just handed to me, because it wasn't. When i'm not in school I am working full time. When i'm in school i'm working part time. And right now i'm even on the verge of starting my own business (if i don't get into research program, but that's besides the point).

The point is that I worked my butt off for 4 years to save for this car. I searched for about a year until I found the perfect car for me because I wasn't going to sacrifice anything. I bought smart, a used car with extremely low miles. Because of my perseverance I ended up with a camaro in pristine condition paid for in full. Just because someone can't make that kind of sacrifice in their lives for something they want doesn't mean that they get to rain on my parade.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #151
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Had a guy in a full size 4x4 Chevy with leather tell me "It must be nice to have money". I told him he probably paid 10 to 15k more for his truck.

I've also had guys with 2LT/RS cars say the wish they could afford an SS. I love watching their jaws drop when they find out my 1SS had an MSRP that was about 2k less then their V6. The 1SS was as much as I could afford. I gave up leather and all the RS options for my V8. Even got the manual to save a few bucks.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #152
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
I bought it so people would think I'm rich!! JK...but I haven't heard that from anyone, maybe because I'm older and run in older circles where people know the price of things.

Last edited by MYDLIFECRISIS; 01-21-2013 at 09:43 AM.
MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #153
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Rich are all those that have $5.99 more , than the one that's asking .
It sometimes can get confusing .
But if you get two guys , making the same exactly money per paycheck , and by the of a certain time , one managed to save more than the other ,he will be labeled as the riche one .
That's not so , he just had the ability to live under a pre established budget , and creat a savings for the raining days , yes those days always will come .
i have a friend like that, we work at the same place making the same amount of money. i put at least $300 a week in savings, he spends all of his on running around and partying. if i need money for something, i have it. my friend just screwed his truck up "again" going mudding, he is taking out a big loan from the bank to fix it so he can go tear it up again. he has alot of learning and growing up to do. im 35 years old with a wife and two kids, i learned responsibility a long time ago.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #154
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I feel rich owning my Camaro with no payments. But I am certainly not rich, just fortunate.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote