Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
2nd gear and Reverse of Fiero grind/won't go into gears. Any takers?

The car has no gear/shifting issues going 1/3/4, but it grinds/won't go into 2nd, and grinds/ won't go into reverse.

Its a Fiero
reverse MIGHT be ok. I just learned there are no reverse syncros so you have to double clutch it. 2nd gear barely grinds, but once it "goes into gear" it doesnt drive (pushing the gas revs just like in neutral)

Any takers as to what it could be?

It's a 4spd manual

Should I just plan on pricing out a new tranny or does it sound like it could be something else worth considering/looking into.

I'd be buying this for autocross because the camaros too expensive to run/replace tires on, and just because i like to have a crappy car to work on, and the guy selling it was just going to give it away so I can probably pick it up for a few hundred bucks. He's my neighbor, so I could probably go tinker with it a bit if I need to.

I've got a good set of mechanic skills, but transmissions are my one weak spot. Most cars I've ever owned you know the trannys going out when 3rd gear stops working, or when your stranded, but this time around it feels a little different so just wanted another opinion. The other gears seem extremely solid, the engines solid, and it's got a ton of other work done to it. I'll probably even pick it up if it needs a new tranny, I just wanted some other thoughts/opinions.

In the last few months It does have a New clutch, master and slave cylinders, o2, rotors, distributors, fuel pump, tires, brakes, ignition, plugs, PM, battery, fuel filter, belts, water pump, and thermostat - so really the tranny is all I have to worry about.

Thanks!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote