Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #43
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
If theres no leaks, then whats the problem? Yea it might look like crap, but it got the job done. How many people can you honestly say have looked under your car to check out your exhaust tubing?
That's a bit like saying "no one looks at behind the toilet, so why bother cleaning back there..." or "sweep it under the rug, no one looks there." It's not about the numbers of people who will/can see the work, it's about the work being done in the best way possible.

As I said before, as long as Caverman is happy that's what matters... to me, "getting the job done" is normally too far removed from from "getting the job done right."

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #44
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_9 View Post
That's a bit like saying "no one looks at behind the toilet, so why bother cleaning back there..." or "sweep it under the rug, no one looks there." It's not about the numbers of people who will/can see the work, it's about the work being done in the best way possible.

As I said before, as long as Caverman is happy that's what matters... to me, "getting the job done" is normally too far removed from from "getting the job done right."
Yeah...like I said I wasn't as happy about the way he cut it off. He initially was going to use a sawsall but then pulled out the torch. I looks worse with it cut off but once the pipes were on there it wasn't any big deal. His welding job was ok...not the best in the world but I can live with it. You can see some of the welds in my pics where he put on the X-Pipe. I don't think performance wise there is any issue and I made sure there were no leaks....which there wasn't from the get go.

This is only a temp exhaust for me anyway. I didn't want to spend to much on it because I plan on going with a 3" exhaust eventually.

It does sound good to me. Just got back from taking a friend for a ride and I like it.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 02-17-2010 at 02:50 PM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #45
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ball2ss View Post
dose that x-pipe have a resonater, because i no with this you cut out the stock one,
Yes...it's a resonated X-Pipe.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #46
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
looks sweet man, i'm seriously considering doing this set up as well. how much was the resonated x-pipe and could you point me in the right direction to getting it done??
Less than $80 to my door. Call JDP Motorsports to get the best deal.
http://www.magnaflowplus.com/ is the site but I would call him and let them know you're from the Camaro 5 forum.
Build Journal
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #47
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Very nice.

The PROBLEM I have is finding a place to have custom exhaust done???

I live in Northern IL. And have looked ALOT. I had some exhaust work done on 2 Acura TL's and even though it was a simple mid-muffler delete, you would think I was asking for a miracle.

I guess MY EASIET way is to just get an SLP Loudmouth, or Loudmouth II system and do it myself,,, as its winter where I live and DON'T have a heated garage.

I WISH I knew of a place where I could have REAL work done. Everywhere I go its YOUNG people.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #48
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
Very nice.

The PROBLEM I have is finding a place to have custom exhaust done???

I live in Northern IL. And have looked ALOT. I had some exhaust work done on 2 Acura TL's and even though it was a simple mid-muffler delete, you would think I was asking for a miracle.

I guess MY EASIET way is to just get an SLP Loudmouth, or Loudmouth II system and do it myself,,, as its winter where I live and DON'T have a heated garage.

I WISH I knew of a place where I could have REAL work done. Everywhere I go its YOUNG people.
For a little more money $515 vs $750 you should consider going with the SOLO Mach-X. That will be a cat-back system and not just an axle-back. I'm not knocking LMII but the cat-back is easy to install...expecially if you have a helping hand. Even by yourself you can do it easily.
Build Journal
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #49
Hyp
I've been lost...

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS W/IOM LSA Swap
Haha glad you like it caverman, he has my bronco up there right now replacing the heater core and hopefully ill be slapping some headers on that next week. Whats next on the mod list?
Hyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #50
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey Caverman. Very creative. Not sure if it worth the savings, but to each his own.

I just want to point a few things out.

The biggest difference in what you did and the SOLO system is THE RESONATOR. Solo designed their own resonators due to the flaws in the Magnaflow and other brands product. Here are the differences:

- Solo's resonators have 4 chambers with individual packing material. due to the chambers being smaller, it stops the packing from moving around over time and the sound changing. They also use a Ceramic/Stainless Blend packing material that lasts longer and stays consistent sounding over time.

- The pipes in the resonator have NO SEEMS inside, unlike the Magnaflow.

- The Solo's X-pipe has a subtle wobble to it to further kill drone on the highway by adding the right amount of disruption to the flow.

- Solo has their own design of vent holes in the pipes. DIfferent shape and amount than other companies.

All this ads up to a very solid SMOOTH sounding system.

Not to mention, they KILLED themselves to get the system so that the pipes are perfectly MIRRORED side to side. Meaning the left side and right side have the EXACT bends in the exact places with NO Flat spots. MANDREL BENT. The factory system is completely different side to side and has numerous flat spots. This makes for perfectly even flow from one side to the other. Not to mention it looks sick!

I am not knocking what you did, I applaud your creativity, I am just saying, you get something for a few extra bucks. Not to mention Bolt-on ease.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #51
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Hey Caverman. Very creative. Not sure if it worth the savings, but to each his own.

The biggest difference in what you did and the SOLO system is THE RESONATOR. Solo designed their own resonators due to the flaws in the Magnaflow and other brands product. Here are the differences:

- Solo's resonators have 4 chambers with individual packing material. due to the chambers being smaller, it stops the packing from moving around over time and the sound changing. They also use a Ceramic/Stainless Blend packing material that lasts longer and stays consistent sounding over time.

- The Solo's X-pipe has a subtle wobble to it to further kill drone on the highway by adding the right amount of disruption to the flow.

- Solo has their own design of vent holes in the pipes. DIfferent shape and amount than other companies.

Not to mention, they KILLED themselves to get the system so that the pipes are perfectly MIRRORED side to side. Meaning the left side and right side have the EXACT bends in the exact places with NO Flat spots. MANDREL BENT. The factory system is completely different side to side and has numerous flat spots. This makes for perfectly even flow from one side to the other. Not to mention it looks sick!

I am not knocking what you did, I applaud your creativity, I am just saying, you get something for a few extra bucks. Not to mention Bolt-on ease.
well since this is the case, would solo be interested in selling their resonator/muffler/x-pipe deal by itself with no piping????? i'd go that route if possible. if not, i'll be going this way.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #52
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post

I agree that the SOLO system would be better and as I put in my review if you have the extra money I would go with SOLO. Actually, I might still buy the SOLO system in the next month or two. Hopefully I can hear it in person soon to help make that decision.

My biggest regret is that I didn’t think to jump on the muffler guy to use the sawsall instead of the torch to make my cuts cleaner. Although I don’t see how there is much of an effect on performance that is caused having the jagged edges. A little maybe but I doubt anything I would ever notice.

Otherwise here are questions I would have about going with SOLO vs this route.
1. The savings….for me it was less than ½ the cost. I was able to buy my Hurst Shifter for that difference.

2. You mention that the resonator in the SOLO has “No Seems” unlike the Magnaflow. I’m sure you’re correct but since I’ve never seen inside either one I’ll just have to take your word on it. Even so what difference does it make to have a Seem or not? If for some odd reason it came apart or something Magnaflow has a lifetime warranty and I would be able to get another one. Although that would be a PIA. What are the advantages of a “No Seem” resonator?

3. You mention the SOLO has extra wobble to rid the system of drone on the highway. I haven’t heard any drone from this system so far. I even took my neighbor for a ride today and he said his 300c with Borla has drone in it and he definitely didn’t hear any in mine. So…whatever Magnaflow did I assume they did what they needed to do to address drone as well.

4. SOLO has different holes in the pipes compared to other companies. What difference does the different size and amount make? I’m not trying to be a smart ass….I’m curious about what the difference it makes? To me the Magnaflow sounds good.

5. There are a couple flat spots in the factory system but you cut out all but one of them if you go this route. Yes is may not be perfect but I doubt very seriously that it’s going to make enough of a difference that you would ever hear or feel in performance.

6. Yes....bolting on any cat-back system on these cars is easy. However...I didn't even do that much. I just stood there and took pictures while someone else did all the work. Although I personally have no issue with putting on a cat-back on these cars. I have access to a lift but others may not.

7. The savings isn't a few bucks.....it's a few hundred bucks. Again, if you have it I would definately go SOLO, if you don't then this is a good alternative.

I’m not knocking or questioning the design of SOLO at all. I’m actually still strongly considering the SOLO system….I’m sure I can sell my current setup for a little bit of money and I’ll have to just chalk up the difference to learning curve. However ever for only $325 this will get me by for a little while.
Build Journal
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #53
2SSRSGTOTA

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS Coupe Rally Yellow
i went with the X-pipe and two magnaflows bullets and its sounds bad ass
Attached Images

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS 6.2L L99 Auto
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV 5.3L V8 Auto (sold)
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7L V8 LS1 Auto
1995 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 LT1 LE2.2 Auto
2SSRSGTOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #54
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
meh, pipe is basically pipe as long as its mandrel bent (and stock is) it takes out the bad stuff just like the more costly pipe does. cat backs dont provide any performance anyway, even the costly ones... so if there is any gains to be made, i am sure this route does it just as well. i wont be payin extra for the same, so this will be my route. the xpipe might help with some gains though i think....right?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #55
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRSGTOTA View Post
i went with the X-pipe and two magnaflows bullets and its sounds bad ass
You need to get some video and post it up so we can hear it.
Build Journal
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #56
caverman

Ok….these aren’t the greatest and I hope to re-do them in over the weekend but I had my neighbor go with me to a dead end street to get a little video before it got to dark. I want to find a more secluded place where I can stay on it longer.

I’m new to making videos so hopefully these are to bad. I will say…as others have….the microphone on the camcorder doesn’t do it justice. It does sound better in person. I never really believed it when everyone else said it but it’s true. These are just for you to get a basic idea. If you can hear something like this in person you’ll be better off in your decision making.

Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 02-17-2010 at 11:41 PM.