Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Rlmcjunk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
TPMS all dashes

I have read somethings on here about relearning the TPMS and how to do it. My issue is I had the rear driver reading -- and the other three reading as normal. Changed the sensor on bad tire and had it reset by installer. after driving for a couple of days now all 4 are reading --. Any ideas on what the crap happened?>>> Forgot to mention it is on a 2010 camaro
Rlmcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Mine does it randomly. I will lose the left two tires, to dashes. Then the front
left, then the right rear. Now they're all reading again. That usually means the
TPMS sensors in the wheels stopped transmitting. If I put my stock intake back in,
ti works fine. For some ODD reason, this only happens with the aftermarket intake
installed. I got a 2010 as well... Plus, none of the read right. I can put 35 in all
four tires, the rears read 33, front left reads 36, and the front right 34. As I drive,
the font left goes up to 38, the others go up one.

If they were all working, then just all quit few days later, it's not a relearn issue.
You should also get the TPMS light, and warning...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Mine started reading erratically last year after I adjusted the air pressure in all my tires, and they kept reading off no matter what. So I had them replaced 4 months ago cause they were 10 years old and now they read even all the time. I am diligent about keeping my tire pressure where it is supposed to be, and when I couldn't do that, replace em.. All good now.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Around 8-9 years is the expected life for TPMS sensors. My 2012 is just starting to have some funky readings occasionally.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
Rlmcjunk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Thanks for the reply, i have tried relearning them twice and no lick. Just thought it was odd all went out at the same time. still doing some research on this. I was thinking it would have to be something in common with all 4 of them (main module. computer etc.)
Rlmcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
I often wondered if the compressed air that inflate tires has something to do with it. You know how some compressed air has a ton of water vapor in it, yea so I don't know just thinking out loud. Costco fills with Nitrogen so at least no water vapor. Maybe has nothing to do with sensor longevity.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The lifespan is typically a battery issue. The batteries go dead and thus no more transmitting.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
So, I had the right rear sensor go out on my original tires and wheels about a month ago. I bought all new tires, wheels, and sensors. I just had the brand new wheels (20 inch to replace 21 inch), tires, and new AC Delco TPMS sensors mounted and balanced. Put them on the car and at first, the programming acted up. I did the first tire and when I got to the second tire it double beeped as complete. I shut everything down and started over. All four programmed normally per the manual and were reading last night. This morning they were reading until I drove about 5 miles and then suddenly they all went out (all dashes). I would think if it were the batteries, one or two might go out but not all four at the same time. Any ideas???

Thanks...
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I hope you guys are buying oem or name brand sensors from a reputable vendor. I had dead batteries on arrival with China garbage and had to have all 4 tires opened up and replaced the sensors with quality stuff.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yes sir, these are items you don't want to "skimp" on!! Not worth saving a few bucks when you have to replace them, AGAIN...
Old 12-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #11
LarryD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual Trans
Well, still no luck with sensors on my car. Tried the DIY learn, no good. Used the learn tool, got only 5 miles down the road and no good. Took it to Discount Tire and they used their scan tool, got further down the road 30 miles but then they quit reading. Took it to a Chev dealer today and they used their GM programming tool, lasted a couple of starts and after about 5 miles they quit reading again.

I don't get it since they were working (except the right rear) before the new tires, wheels, and new sensors. By the way, the sensors came from GM Direct, are the correct part numbers that match those called out by the VIN number, and the Chev dealer today said they were reading out correctly and batteries were all strong. They have a separate tool from the programming tool that is able to read the sensor data.

So, does anybody know how these work and what affects them? Does the sensor get programmed or does the car computer get programmed? Does the wheel cause reading problems? Does the change from 21 inch wheels to 20 inch cause them not to save in the computer? Is there a module in the car that might be going bad even though they seemed to work before the wheel changes?
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #12
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

This is a bit extreme but if you got a buddy with a gm car that will take your wheels switch them over and see what happens with your wheels on a different car. If it works, your problem is in your BCM or the antenna circuitry for the tpms system. Likely will need to change a module then. If they don't, the sensors are bad.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #13
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
Make sure the antenna is plugged in—black box by your rear view mirror. Mine was left unplugged after windshield replaced.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

They might be fake gm parts. Pretty common especially if they were made in another country.