Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Dragon, you further explained my point on VVT. I meant to say the engine's rpms tell the computer chip (ECU) to retard or advance the timing of the opening on the valves. Thanks!
I had to chime in...sorry.

Nice video btw...I can't believe how real-looking these games have become over the years.:eek:
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #30
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
This is GT 3, GT 4 is out, GT 5 is coming out soon. It's got the new skyline as the head car.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #31
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight View Post
When I bought my Corolla in February the dealership offered me a discounted, pre-paid maintenance package. It covers all oil changes and interval services for the first 30 or 50 thousand miles. Now I have a book of coupons for any scheduled maintenance I'll need, probably as long as I have the car.
I could do a lot of it myself, but having documented services definitely helps with resale value, especially if you want to trade it in at the dealership where you're getting the service done.

With a car that I'm not planning on reselling or trading in (i.e. the 2009 Camaro), I'd like to be able to do all the work myself, so that I know it was done and I know it was done right. Now, I'm definitely no grease monkey, not even a grease lemur, but I'm open to any suggestions as to how to go about learning this stuff. What did you guys do? Just practice on your own old cars, read some books, or do you just research each problem as it comes along?
A good resource might be the local community college....alot of them have classes on auto repair, engine basics, etc....if you have the time just my .02
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If your ever sitting at home, and just kinda bored...go to howstuffworks.com, and click on auto, then "under the hood". I'll tell you honestly, I learned exactly how an Auto tranny worked, and how many other things on cars work. It's not a car bible, but it definitely give you a foothold to understand things that come along after the fact.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #33
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I typically do my own work. Fortunately being in the military I have access to an auto crafts shop where I just pay hourly (like $4) to use the bay and tools. They also have mechanics on hand to answer any questions you may have. I have a Haynes manual for my car, and will talk to they guys and gals on ls1tech.com for any questions I may have.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote