Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015Black1SS View Post
Just changed my oil . Amsoil 5w30 with Amsoil oil filter... she took all 8 quarts ... 1 year or 7500 mile interval As called out by factory specs. I know Amsoil full synthetic with w Amsoil filter can go 15,000 miles but I’ll stick w the manual. I do swear by Amsoil though and I purchased the gear oil and LSD additive for my next job. Love my baby so much she gets pampered ....
I hope you don't mind me flipping the pic.... I didn't want to stand my laptop on its side....

I'll see your 8 qts and raise you 6 more.... My car is real thirsty.... I haven't acquired over 500 miles on an oil change in at least six years.... We change it about 4-6 times a year if we run her a lot...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #16
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
That's weird my 2013 owners manual specifies Dexos1 which is actually a Synthetic Blend not a fully Synthetic oil. I wonder if the owners manual changed after 2010? My first free oil change got the Dexos1 blend version but I've used full synthetic ever since. I keep reading here about our cars requiring full synthetic oil but I could never confirm that.

I see there is a Dexos1 Gen2 full Syn oil now that is required on 2018 models and newer but that's a fairly recent change. My car gets Castrol Full Synthetic currently as that is what my dealer uses & they've done all of the service so far on my car.
The 2010 has a Mobil 1 logo right on the oil fill cap. Mobil 1 also meets Dexos 1 standards.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #17
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEJNG View Post
I can't imagine an oil change being such a big event that it has to be announced to the entire world.

Especially when you (apparently) paid someone else to do it! lol Or so it would seem based on the background of the pic, looks like an auto service center to me. Or do they rent those bays out?

At any rate, this brought up a good topic to discuss. I've had my car since Jan. and I've only put about 3k on it, so I'm figuring about 5k per year on average. I've been using Mobil 1 and I do drive it pretty hard most of the time. I was planning on just changing the oil every spring, is that acceptable or should I change it more often?
LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #18
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I do the every spring system. I’ve put a whole 10k on her in 2 1/2 years.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #19
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Especially when you (apparently) paid someone else to do it! lol Or so it would seem based on the background of the pic, looks like an auto service center to me. Or do they rent those bays out?

At any rate, this brought up a good topic to discuss. I've had my car since Jan. and I've only put about 3k on it, so I'm figuring about 5k per year on average. I've been using Mobil 1 and I do drive it pretty hard most of the time. I was planning on just changing the oil every spring, is that acceptable or should I change it more often?
If you are not depleting the oil life based on miles, you should change the oil annually, not after winter storage but just before.

I've been changing oil for 50 years. In the old days, old oil came out cloudy and smelling of gas. Sludge built up on the valve covers. With synthetic oil and electronic fuel injection, that just don't happen.

It's a mystery to me why people disbelieve engineers on oil life.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #20
J Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
If you are not depleting the oil life based on miles, you should change the oil annually, not after winter storage but just before.
Thanks, that was my next question. So why before, instead of after?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
us V6'ers ruin oil at a much faster rate!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #22
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Thanks, that was my next question. So why before, instead of after?
Sitting long periods it settles and sludge builds. I have a 5 gallon oil can i put my waste oil in. I use all synthetic and after a few years the bottom of the can has a sludge build up in it. When I bring it to get drained the guys are always shaking it trying to get the bottom out. It must have a few inches by now. Change it with fresh before putting it to bed. I drain the can a couple times a year.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #23
J Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
Sitting long periods it settles and sludge builds. I have a 5 gallon oil can i put my waste oil in. I use all synthetic and after a few years the bottom of the can has a sludge build up in it. When I bring it to get drained the guys are always shaking it trying to get the bottom out. It must have a few inches by now. Change it with fresh before putting it to bed. I drain the can a couple times a year.
Ah, that makes sense.