Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
frey.199

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Shop Tune vs Buying a tuner

Just wondering if I could get some input from people. What exactly is the difference between purchasing a tuner like MPVI2 or SCTX4 and taking it to a shop that has a dyno?

If I bought a tuner, do you just tell it what mods you have or is it more complicated than that?

I plan on putting headers on fairly soon, but I'm told I'll need a tune after doing so. Can I just buy a tuner do it myself?

I'm new to the tuning world.

Last edited by frey.199; 05-22-2019 at 02:28 PM.
frey.199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Most off the shelf tuners or canned tunes are designed to work with a stock vehicle. There are plenty of mail order tuners that can send you a custom tune using a similar platform. They can work great but there is no substitute for a good dyno tune, especially if you are modded.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I think if you plan on doing minor mods...cai, exhaust etc. A store bought tuner will suffice. I own a diablo and it does everything I need. Yes.. you input what you want and there are several videos that show you how easy it really is. However, if you do major mods especially with internal engine I understand you will need to get someone with much more detailed mods. Aslo, with your own tuner (ex. diablo) you may not be "as dialed in" as a professional modder can do but I'm okay with my setup. Bottom line is the deeper you get into mods I would eventually get a professional mod. As far as exhaust, I have hi flow, x pipe, cat back, and will get shorty headers. I do not need to get a pro mod. If you go long tubes it may be different.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
frey.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
I think if you plan on doing minor mods...cai, exhaust etc. A store bought tuner will suffice. I own a diablo and it does everything I need. Yes.. you input what you want and there are several videos that show you how easy it really is. However, if you do major mods especially with internal engine I understand you will need to get someone with much more detailed mods. Aslo, with your own tuner (ex. diablo) you may not be "as dialed in" as a professional modder can do but I'm okay with my setup. Bottom line is the deeper you get into mods I would eventually get a professional mod. As far as exhaust, I have hi flow, x pipe, cat back, and will get shorty headers. I do not need to get a pro mod. If you go long tubes it may be different.
Are you not able to do the more in detail tuning with the MPVI2? The HPtuner I guess is what I'm referring to.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
frey.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
If you like you can give me a call sir and i can explain both options to you, we are accutally ohio based like you so we can offer you both dyno tuning or remote tuning,

Thanks Steve
RDP Store
www.rdpstore.com
440 358 5500
Great, thanks Steve. I've heard a few people reference you, I believe, so I'll shoot you a phone call in a day or two. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
frey.199

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14CamaroSSRSLS3 View Post
I can get you hooked up with a custom tune for your car/mods... cai, headers, no cats or high-flow cats, etc etc. for your diablo tool... much better than the canned tunes are that come on the programmer... a custom tune, with adjustments made based on real-world driving data logs I'd have you do for me, etc., is the way to go for much better performance/gains/improvements....
Hi 14Camaro,

Is this someone you know or?