Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-27-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
Taylor1993

Drives: Chevy Camaro ss
Having problems after header and exhaust install

Just had speed engineering headers and catless exhaust system installed the other day. Immediately started having an issue when applying the gas pedal easy. It's like a bogging sound and hesitates for about a second and than picks right up and is fine. Doesn't seem to happen when stepping hard on the gas tho. I know it needs a tune after getting the headers put on but not seeing anybody else with this problem. Sounds terrible and is very annoying. Wondering if I get it tuned and delete the afm will it go back to normal? Other than the the headers and exhaust I just have a cai. Any info is highly appreciated
Taylor1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor1993 View Post
Just had speed engineering headers and catless exhaust system installed the other day. Immediately started having an issue when applying the gas pedal easy. It's like a bogging sound and hesitates for about a second and than picks right up and is fine. Doesn't seem to happen when stepping hard on the gas tho. I know it needs a tune after getting the headers put on but not seeing anybody else with this problem. Sounds terrible and is very annoying. Wondering if I get it tuned and delete the afm will it go back to normal? Other than the the headers and exhaust I just have a cai. Any info is highly appreciated
Check engine lights? Check your O2 sensors?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #3
Taylor1993

No check engine light. And what should I be looking for when checking the o2 sensors? Sorry not very mechanically inclined. Working on the learning process as I go
Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #4
pnwdan

Quote:
No check engine light. And what should I be looking for when checking the o2 sensors? Sorry not very mechanically inclined. Working on the learning process as I go
Anything major should throw a code but its possible that something is slightly off. Go back through all the connections. Even plugs and wires. Does it happen when warmed up or even when it's cold?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
Taylor1993

Ok will do. Figured mayb it was a air/fuel problem being that there's no cats now. Was told I would lose back pressure. Happens every time I ease on the gas hot or cold. Cant even use the cruise control because it sounds terrible when sitting at an even speed
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 AM   #6
pnwdan

Quote:
Ok will do. Figured mayb it was a air/fuel problem being that there's no cats now. Was told I would lose back pressure. Happens every time I ease on the gas hot or cold. Cant even use the cruise control because it sounds terrible when sitting at an even speed
Cats gone will throw a code but do nothing like you are experiencing and that back pressure thing is just a fairy tale. Sounds like a misfire honestly. With no codes though it's hard to say. Sometimes if you're getting unmetered air in the system through a loose intake it can do this too.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Cracked plug
Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nb1081 View Post
Cracked plug
Good call. Definitely check this

Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'd guess cracked plug, or damaged wire.

However, I also want to ask for those more experienced than me, could it be that there's an exhaust leak early on that could cause some of this bog? If the exhaust isn't flowing right you could be choking off your cylinder on take off. OP what gaskets did you use and did you tighten the headers to 10 ft/lbs from center out alternating sides and then 18 ft/lbs alternating again? Then did you go back and retighten after a heat cycle?
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
the new exhaust setup is causing a lean at throttle tip in....get a tune.

back pressure is not a fairy tale for PASSENGER cars...in a RACE car bp is bad...

did the spark plugs get pulled before the install? If not then the above cracked suggestion is spot on but I would add if you still have the POS stock plug wires might be a good time to upgrade those too...

good luck!

Peace

Tags
headers help, speed engineering