Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
fyancey

Drives: 2015 ls
NEW GM/Camaro loss of control issue.

https://www.facebook.com/TheGrimReap...84140834939275

My Camaro's accelerator stopped functioning at highway speeds in heavy traffic. I had to coast to a stop while dodging traffic. The engine ran, at idle. I put it in park. I still could not accelerate. I could floor it. Nothing but idle. I turned off the power and cut it back on and I was able to engage the accelerator to get off the freeway and have it towed to a dealer. These are almost the same symptoms as the functional hack as demonstrated in the wired magazine "Jeep Hack" video. After troubleshooting it 9 days, the dealer gave me the following info.
U100 Data bus: engine control module (ECM) A - no communication
U101 Data bus: transmission control module (TCM) - no communication
U121 Data bus: anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module - no communication
U176 Data bus: supplementary restraint system (SRS) sensor G - no communication
I believe this to be either a very serious defect, or a malicious hacking attempt. ( I once had a menu in Arabic which they say doesn't exist on the system) I lost control of the vehicle at highway speeds. I can't drive this vehicle without the fear of it happening again. Without warning. GM's official answer is that they will give me an oil change coupon. I do not find this satisfactory. I find it a huge danger to my life and those around me. I am insulted that GM finds it funny. Research I have done shows that they have covered up stuff like this before. I think the public needs to know. I asked GM for contact info on their federal overseer for the ignition issue. They refused. I have filed an NHTSA complaint https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=11142983 and I'm putting this out there to warn the public, contact me at floydyancey@gmail.com for questions.
fyancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Sorry this happened to you, and hope the TSB fixed it permanently, but you posted this to the wrong forum. This is the gen 6 forums. Post it here: www.camaro5.com.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
The modern GM is no better than the past GM. They are killing themselves.
For the price of a new vehicle, any new vehicle, it should have been properly tested before it ever hit the dealer. The vendors who make these products should be vetted prior to manufacture, not after. OR..... GM needs to bring it all back in house.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
fyancey

Drives: 2015 ls
NEW GM/Camaro loss of control issue.

https://www.facebook.com/TheGrimReap...84140834939275

My Camaro's accelerator stopped functioning at highway speeds in heavy traffic. I had to coast to a stop while dodging traffic. The engine ran, at idle. I put it in park. I still could not accelerate. I could floor it. Nothing but idle. I turned off the power and cut it back on and I was able to engage the accelerator to get off the freeway and have it towed to a dealer. These are almost the same symptoms as the functional hack as demonstrated in the wired magazine "Jeep Hack" video. After troubleshooting it 9 days, the dealer gave me the following info.
U100 Data bus: engine control module (ECM) A - no communication
U101 Data bus: transmission control module (TCM) - no communication
U121 Data bus: anti-lock brake system (ABS) control module - no communication
U176 Data bus: supplementary restraint system (SRS) sensor G - no communication
I believe this to be either a very serious defect, or a malicious hacking attempt. ( I once had a menu in Arabic which they say doesn't exist on the system) I lost control of the vehicle at highway speeds. I can't drive this vehicle without the fear of it happening again. Without warning. GM's official answer is that they will give me an oil change coupon. I do not find this satisfactory. I find it a huge danger to my life and those around me. I am insulted that GM finds it funny. Research I have done shows that they have covered up stuff like this before. I think the public needs to know. I asked GM for contact info on their federal overseer for the ignition issue. They refused. I have filed an NHTSA complaint https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=11142983 and I'm putting this out there to warn the public, contact me at floydyancey@gmail.com for questions.
fyancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
I really feel bad for people today who think a car dying while driving is a conspiracy of someone hacking their car and they are too scared to drive it anymore. When I was growing up cars dying was a common occurrence. You pulled it over and fixed it or towed it to a repair shop. Now everyones car breaks down once and they organize a congressional oversight committee to investigate.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
The modern GM is no better than the past GM. They are killing themselves.
For the price of a new vehicle, any new vehicle, it should have been properly tested before it ever hit the dealer. The vendors who make these products should be vetted prior to manufacture, not after. OR..... GM needs to bring it all back in house.
This guy has 34k on the clock, there's only so much testing that can be done at the factory.
This is not to excuse GM, but with today's computer-driven cars and the resulting quantity of electronics / wiring involved, incidents like these are not surprising. With that said, anything that can endanger lives should be a recall, not a 'let's wait till it happens' TSB.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
So there's a failure on a car, it's repaired by the dealer and now there's a world conspiracy?

It sounds more like the start of a negotiation for a new car...
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Can someone translate the arabic? I'm guessing it's just the std menu text but maybe it's saying "prepare to die, infidel!"? That would be a dead give-away.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
roughly translated into

"N/A Timer Set / Clr Menu timer for number of session times "

so sayeth the google translate
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
What led you to believe they find it funny?

Glad I have a manual transmission...
Old 10-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
One vehicle's failure does not a trend, a hack, or conspiracy make. Yes, GM has handled failures badly before, and it's understandable to be mad at them over this failure, but jumping right into assuming the worst is totally unjustified based on one incident. Things do break occasionally, it's part of life.

Short of an older car with little electronics tied to vehicle control, the best defense against a malicious hack - a manual transmission. "They" may still be able to mess with the EPS to steer you into something and brake or not brake at a bad moment - either with potentially serious results to you or others - but if their idea is to turn you into a road-going missile/battering ram, they can command your engine to red-line until it breaks or runs out of fuel, but a timely press of the clutch pedal will at least limit their ability to really load up on velocity/energy before doing something awful.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #12
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
A whole lot of tinfoil needed in this post. Good grief man, have some patience, intermittent problems like these are a nightmare to diagnose and repair. Arabic is present, it's a matter of programming to make it come up.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:10 PM   #13
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Not minimizing the pucker moment of having the car stall out, but at least GM had a fix for it, the car didn't get damaged, and no one was hurt.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #14
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Should probably post this on the 5th gen side as a heads up too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gm coverup