Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #71
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Huh. Really? Give me your wallet

PS

Firearms are used for more than "personal protection". Most folks who "don't like guns" who go target shooting admit that it was fun
there was a recent story about a guy that went to a Smith's grocery store, bought a knife, and started stabbing people. Just so happens a guy was there with a concealed weapon. Pulled his gun out and told the guy to drop the knife. He did, and the store security grabbed the guy who had the knife. Without the "hero" with the gun, more people could have gotten hurt.

I agree with you 100%. Not just about protecting yourself.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 PM   #72
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
protection is just one of the many perks of owning a firearm. I bought it for target shooting mainly.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #73
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT-006 View Post
protection is just one of the many perks of owning a firearm. I bought it for target shooting mainly.
Range report. And I see no photos of the Glock yet!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #74
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT-006 View Post
i did it..pulled the trigger on the GLOCK 17. I have to wait the 10 day period required in california til i can pick it up..but its mine! the cool thing is the range is allowing me to go in and shoot it as many times as id like within the 10 days with no fees.
Congrats! So what did you have to do to get one in Kalifornia. I have a friend in San Diego who bought his first gun 2 months ago, he said the gun store gave his a questionnaire on Gun Safety...(25 questions?) which he passed and did the paperwork, that was it. He got a call 2 weeks later to pick up his gun.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #75
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Its too bad that so many people feel the need to 'protect' themselves. =(
If you haven't noticed, morals in the world have changed.
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #76
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Go to a gunshop that has a range. They will most likely let you rent various guns or try before you buy. A gun is a VERY personal item so you need one you are comfortable with in every aspect.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #77
RallySS

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow RS/2SS Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
Do Research, Take a class , and for the love of God go to a gunshop and stick as many guns in your hands as possible. Get the feel of it first. If its not comfortable in your hand before you start fireing it sure as hell wont be when you fire. I agree a revolver for a first gun is the best IMHO. Less complicated and surely more reliable. I'd suggest for the money get a 357 Mag. Basically you have 2 guns in 1 for the money. A .38 special will fire in a 357 mag. Use and practice with that awhile first. When you wanna step up in firepower get some 357 mag rounds and go from there. Good luck and be SAFE. Safety first my friend
Agreed, if it doesn't feel right, it isn't right. It should be a fluid operation when needed with no juggling or flinching. Check safety for ease of operation, if lefty, check case ejection to make sure you aren't popped by a hot one from a semi auto. You should also be very weary of safety of operation, as in accidental firing if dropped and such (some are way better than others at prevention of this). While a revolver is less complicated, the do tend to recoil a bit more as the slide isn't there to take the recoil. I suggest looking into a 380 or 9mm to start for good all around guns that have high accuracy, high capacity, and fair if not low recoil. Stick to your better brands and listen to your local gun shops about dependability, wear on parts, cleaning, brands and types of ammo, etc. The last and most important tip is to always assume it is loaded, even if you are absolutely sure it isn't, no matter what or when, and never point it at something or someone you don't intend on shooting/killing.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #78
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Range report. And I see no photos of the Glock yet!
Photos of the Glock will be up soon. I have a 10 day waiting period before i can actually go pick it up, which will end 8/9/12. But since i bought it from the range i can go in anytime before that and go shoot it. Which i will be doing monday or tuesday since ive been out of town all this week. I will then post pics of my range target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
Congrats! So what did you have to do to get one in Kalifornia. I have a friend in San Diego who bought his first gun 2 months ago, he said the gun store gave his a questionnaire on Gun Safety...(25 questions?) which he passed and did the paperwork, that was it. He got a call 2 weeks later to pick up his gun.
I had to take the HSC (Handgun safety certificate) test. It was 30 questions and u are only allowed to miss 7 and i missed a total of 0 . It was pretty common sense stuff, personally i feel that even missing 7 is too lenient. For cryin out loud its to purchase a gun, you should be able to get em all correct or just miss maybe 1 or 2 on it. BUT anyway..they also ran a background check and i have a 10 day minimum wait period until i can actually go in and pickup the firearm. They call it the cool down period i guess lol then did all the paperwork And thats about all. the 10 day period is kind of weird considering californias (I BELIEVE) the only state that does that. But thats cali for you.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #79
jpizzle007

Drives: '10 LS3, '11 328i, '78 El Camino
Commie-fornia!
Custom stainless steel catch-can, Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI, T-304 MBRP 3" CB, Solo HiFlow Cats, TSW Interlagos Matte Black, Nitto Invos 275/315, SkipShift Eliminator, MGW ShortThrow Shifter, Flux Capacitor - fully tweeked
jpizzle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #80
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Its too bad that so many people feel the need to 'protect' themselves. =(
Mine are more for fun than protection. Because firearms are AWESOME.

To the OP, good luck with your purchase! Glocks are excellent.

I'm glad we don't have waiting periods here. You can walk into the store, buy as many as you can hold, and be out the door as fast as they can call the ATF and confirm the paperwork (about 5 minutes).
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #81
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post

To the OP, good luck with your purchase! Glocks are excellent.

I'm glad we don't have waiting periods here. You can walk into the store, buy as many as you can hold, and be out the door as fast as they can call the ATF and confirm the paperwork (about 5 minutes).
Wow I wish Cali was like that..we can only buy one handgun in 30 days
Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #82
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
Hell yes! Firearms are an exciting hobby, and like everything else, must be handled responsibly.

OP, betcha can't wait to hit the range and burn through ammo! I spent the better part of my Friday night gunning my reloads

Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #83
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Hell yes! Firearms are an exciting hobby, and like everything else, must be handled responsibly.

OP, betcha can't wait to hit the range and burn through ammo! I spent the better part of my Friday night gunning my reloads

HELL YEAH! I am fukn pumped! already have my ammo ready to go to the range tomorrow! What are some good local ranges with good deals for year memberships? i've heard of a decent outdoor one by herndon and 99.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #84
AGENT-006
AKA 'Mr. 006'

Here she is..i went to go shoot her today and i loved it! I have surprisingly good aim for only having shot a gun 2 days. It definitely seemed hard to reload the mag but im guessing its cuz its still new?
over all i loved it!
Attached Images