Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #43
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I'm glad the OP started this thread, I've been thinking about the same exact subject since I bought my SS. So I've been reading how everybody has different styles when it comes to shifting, so I took a little bit like everybodies style plus some advice from my friend. Today when I got off work I decided to drive around for a few extra minutes testing out the different driving styles. So I come to the conclusion that there are two different shifting styles that work for me.

1) For driving around the inner-city. I discovered that starting in 2nd gear shifting to 4th gear then to 5th gear, works well for me.

2) When entering the highway, I found out that starting in 1st gear shifting to 3rd then to 4th makes accessing the highway a lot easier.
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #44
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post
I use 1,3,4th in town, 1,3,6 on highway... But really depends what kind of mood I'm in!!! Lol!
+1
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #45
JimAlan

Drives: Black 2SS RS 1LE
Agreed, skip as needed.
JimAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #46
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't get all the antagonism towards skipping here. It's pretty obvious that the car can go quite fast without taking it out of first. So, for example, you are pulling onto a street that the posted speed limit is 45MPH but there's not much of a space to pull out because of heavy traffic.

The solution is to find a small gap and gun it and zip up to the speed limit using one or 2 gears, and you safely got in the opening and didn't piss off the guy behind you because he didn't have to brake for you.

So, here you are now going 45MPH in 2nd gear. Are you REALLY going to walk through all the gears to get to 5th or 6th for cruising along? Or, do you skip ahead? Seems to me like a waste of time and gas to spend extra time in the low gears.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #47
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
With my right hand........ I do a lot of things with my right hand.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #48
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I don't get all the antagonism towards skipping here. It's pretty obvious that the car can go quite fast without taking it out of first. So, for example, you are pulling onto a street that the posted speed limit is 45MPH but there's not much of a space to pull out because of heavy traffic.

The solution is to find a small gap and gun it and zip up to the speed limit using one or 2 gears, and you safely got in the opening and didn't piss off the guy behind you because he didn't have to brake for you.

So, here you are now going 45MPH in 2nd gear. Are you REALLY going to walk through all the gears to get to 5th or 6th for cruising along? Or, do you skip ahead? Seems to me like a waste of time and gas to spend extra time in the low gears.
Agreed, but this is a specific situation that isn't necessary very often.

To answer the OPs question, I do not typically skip gears, unless I accelerate a lot in 1st or 2nd gear , then I'll skip.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #49
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
If I wanted to skip gears I would have an automatic, I never skip gears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
Same here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 View Post
that makes no sense whatsoever.
as the power of the manual is what ALLOWS you the power to skip gears..
the auto is the opposite you cannot skip gears.

Lol!
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #50
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Daily driving from a stop, 1-3-5-6
from a roll (turning on to a side road, etc) 2-4-6
Drag racing 1-2-3-4
wait, you always put it in 6?
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #51
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
i try to get into 5th or 6th as soon as possible. The LS3 has more than enough torque to be in 5th in most city cruising situations (honestly 36mph+) or 6th if I'm going 45+. Like I said though, cruising. If needing to adjust speed at all, I will stay in a lower gear.

I usually wind up first gear more than enough to get into 3rd straight from it (which also negates 1-4 skip shift). So I'm with all the guys who say it's all a matter of best gear for the situation. You never HAVE to row all the gears, especially in normal, slow daily driving situations.

Now when I'm turning left onto a 70mph highway from a dead stop (like I have to do everyday after work)... that's where I go 1-2-3-6.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #52
ASSASSIN

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I only skip 5th gear on freeways

2010 2SS SIM LS3, GM Ground Effects, Cherrybomb Extreme Axle-Back
ASSASSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #53
Piper

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (sim)
Not often do i use 6th gear......unless I'm doing over 160km/hr 1st-3rd most often around the city or 5th on the Hi way at 110km/hr.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #54
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post

Point taken . . . sort of.

It is possible to create a scenario to justify just about any shifting sequence in cars with an H-based pattern.

In your above described case, I'd drop it into 3rd for at least as long as it took to get situated in my space within that traffic. Beyond that, either 4th or 5th depending on the situation at that later moment (45 is too slow for 6th even though you could force the engine to put up with it). Whether I'd actually add any mph while in 3rd is immaterial; I'd rather have the additional acceleration and engine compression braking at least available during the time that I'm "getting situated".

If you took any of what I posted previously as antagonistic, it certainly wasn't intended.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #55
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
I don't skip the gears. I like like to use them all.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #56
RickHead

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
As an ex big truck driver who has logged over a million miles in trucks with ten or more forward gears in a non-synchronized transmission, I can tell you that the only people driving big trucks who did not skip shift were the rookies. Our camaro engines are powerful enough for us to do this, so why not skip if you feel like it? It can handle it. The fewer times you work that clutch, the less wear you put on it.

That being said, I'm still kind of shy about starting from a dead stop in 2nd. Just remember, lugging is the enemy.
RickHead is offline   Reply With Quote