Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
GregDu4

Drives: 2014 Camaro Convertible
Non BA subwoofer amp replacement

Hey everyone! I am brand new to the group, so I hope this isn't a re-post. I have been searching to find the pinout for the little amp that is used in the Non-BA system for the subwoofer.

I am installing the Sumpthumb plate with a 10" CompC Kicker. I am hoping that I dont have to replace the little amp, but if do, I will need the pinout because I can't find a FARK for the Non-BA radio.

Thanks in advance...
GregDu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
I am in the same boat. I read a post where someone said to keep the little amp in line even if you use another amp. That makes sense as then you could just cut the speaker wire from the old sub and use those for the high level inputs into the additional amp. I believe there is no fark harness for the non-ba system. I too am interested in which wire in the connector turns on the amp so I can use that to turn on the additional amp. I am hoping I don't have to run a remote wire to a switch. I know I would end up forgetting to turn it off. I am going to try and do some additional searching on the forum to see if I can find anything. I have found that you get more results when doing a google search of camaro5.com vs the forum search. I did find an article that said the accessory power that turns on with the key it typically a blue wire with a white stripe. I am going to see if there is one of those in the connector.

https://www.mtx.com/library-remote-turn-on
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Mr V

I found the other post. Looks like the it is the white wire for remote power. I am going to check that out and hopefully that one will work for the remote power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by side0ut View Post
So I just finished installing my speakers and amp in my car. To now answer my question: There is indeed an 8-inch subwoofer in the non-ba convertible. It has a very little amp attached to the backside of the plate. That is the only amp in the car with all the other speakers running off the factory deck. It would have been nice to know beforehand that it was there so I would have just tapped into the remote amp turn on power instead of taking the factory deck out to tap into the harness. Oh well.. Maybe this will help someone else if they decide to upgrade their non-ba stereo in a convertible. By the way, use the white wire. I used the alpine 5-channel amp with Kicker components speakers in front and Boston Acoustics in the rear. I put the Kicker 10-inch sub in the factory location. Everything sounds great with the exception of the subwoofer which already been mentioned. I just had to try it for myself. Overall, the bass is 10 times better than the factory but is not optimal since it appears to be sound only and can't really be felt. Will try moving it to a box in the trunk and see how much of a difference there is.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDu4 View Post
Hey everyone! I am brand new to the group, so I hope this isn't a re-post. I have been searching to find the pinout for the little amp that is used in the Non-BA system for the subwoofer.

I am installing the Sumpthumb plate with a 10" CompC Kicker. I am hoping that I dont have to replace the little amp, but if do, I will need the pinout because I can't find a FARK for the Non-BA radio.

Thanks in advance...
There is no sub in the non BA car. the BA cars got a sub in the center for the vert or 6x9 subs inthe hard top cars. The Vert iirc has the amp attached to the woofer. but i dont think so. Whtie wire on the BA cars is rem. you on a NON BA car have to go to the cig lighter.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Mr V

Got it installed. The white wire does indeed control power. One issue I ran into is not knowing which of the four wires coming off the stock amp to the stock sub were + and -. I have a four wire pigtail for the high level input on the fosgate. So I cut the wires on the stock sub and spliced them to the pigtail in the same pattern on both ends. Not sure what effect mixed up polarity would have on the high level inputs. I am getting sound although I expected more. Could be that is all I will get without some type of enclosure. I don't want the whole car to vibrate. Just want some good base.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
Mr V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo72793 View Post
There is no sub in the non BA car. the BA cars got a sub in the center for the vert or 6x9 subs inthe hard top cars. The Vert iirc has the amp attached to the woofer. but i dont think so. Whtie wire on the BA cars is rem. you on a NON BA car have to go to the cig lighter.
The non-ba verts do have a sub but it is a 8" with a small amp on it vs the 10" BA vert sub.