Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Cpt. Ray T

Drives: 2010 SS A/T
Question Diff Fluid "upgrade" Help Please

So, I am pretty new in here, and have been doing some searching around and was able to answer one question but now have another that I cannot seem to find exactly the answer I am looking for.

I have my very first Camaro. 2010 SS A/T only 56K miles on the clock. I have only had it a couple of days, but noticed a weird moan/not really grind sound when turning sharp before everything gets nice and warm. Initially sounded like breaks moaning a bit, but applying a bit of pedal didn't change anything, and it was only when turning sharp. So after lots of searching, I seem to have found that answer, which is needs some kind of Diff Fluid upgrade.

This brings me to what I cannot find exactly. What kind of Diff Fluid and what kind of additive should I be running? Saw one post that mentioned Royal Purple, but I am not exactly a RP fan. Always been a bit of a Lucas guy, got a pretty solid warning from East Coast Gear about running RP in their rear diff for my jeep. He wouldn't say exactly why, just said don't run it. And followed it up with that is the one fluid that he would not warranty any failure in the diff, and when he crack it open, he would know it was used... So after that, I kind of strayed away from it.

But I am open to solid advise from the experienced. This is my first sports car, been more of a motorcycle/truck/jeep/FJ Cruiser guy up till now. So I lean on you good folks that have been in this world a bit longer.

So all that to ask this, what is this "Upgrade" to the diff fluid? and the followup, How much of a hurry should I be in to do it? Don't get me wrong, I will jump at my first opportunity, heck, may even pay a shop to do it if I don't have time myself, but will I be safe to drive it in the meantime?

Thanks in advance.
Cpt. Ray T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I imagine the biggest difference in between the brands comes down to the friction modifier. Maybe it is not really an upgrade that you need and it really just needs a change with some fresh fluid?

I know ACDelco has one made for our diffs that has the correct concentration of friction modifier already added, no separate bottle. Some guys also swear by RedLine. I had a list of candidate fluids on my computer that I will search for that were confirmed either compatible or recommended for our diffs by other members here, but I am sure you will get some better input from other members before I list it.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site! If you want to learn as much as possible about your car then you are in the right place.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I have had zero issues with the fluid from the local Chevy dealer.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
Cpt. Ray T

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I imagine the biggest difference in between the brands comes down to the friction modifier. Maybe it is not really an upgrade that you need and it really just needs a change with some fresh fluid?

I know ACDelco has one made for our diffs that has the correct concentration of friction modifier already added, no separate bottle. Some guys also swear by RedLine. I had a list of candidate fluids on my computer that I will search for that were confirmed either compatible or recommended for our diffs by other members here, but I am sure you will get some better input from other members before I list it.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site! If you want to learn as much as possible about your car then you are in the right place.

Awesome, thank you. Heck, I have used Redline for years in my bikes, didn't even know they mad a diff fluid for cars... So there is my something new for today. As far as the AC Delco stuff, is there a particular listing to look for, or just throw year and model at the counter person and they should be able to point me in the right direction? Of course that is scary as some of the parts counter folks may or may not have much knowledge... But if you find that list, that would be great.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
Cpt. Ray T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I have had zero issues with the fluid from the local Chevy dealer.

I wasn't sure about that. When reading the posts about that sound, the one thing I found was dealerships unable to find anything wrong, so that made me wonder if they would point me in the right direction for fluid.. So that makes me feel better. I may just swing by tomorrow and grab a jug. (or two or three, depending on how much I need.) Thanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ray T View Post
I wasn't sure about that. When reading the posts about that sound, the one thing I found was dealerships unable to find anything wrong, so that made me wonder if they would point me in the right direction for fluid.. So that makes me feel better. I may just swing by tomorrow and grab a jug. (or two or three, depending on how much I need.) Thanks for the input.

I change mine every 5K, but I also beat up on my car.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:04 AM   #7
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
A group of us local "camaro" guys found that there were a lot of shaving in the differential, that thickened the fluid a little. Most of us did a flush around the 5k mile mark and going good since then. We are all using the GM diff fluid and friction modifier.

You will be much happier with just a flush and new fluids. GM is fine unless you really want to go to Royal Purple or other brands, depending on what style of driving you are doing.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It can't hurt to replace the diff oil.

However, the moan, if it happens on sharp turns only when cold, is normal behavior for a limited slip differential.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Old 01-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
RP max gear 75w90 has lsd additive in it already, great stuff
Old 01-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
the mobil 1 has the LS additive in it already, hence the reason it's on the label...used RP, Lucas and RedLine...all they do is take $$$ out of your wallet lol...

l8tr
Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Not sure what upgrading is about. Just replace with the correct lube. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211013
I believe GM has an oil with the lsd additive already mixed in it. Just like a few other brands. But is it the correct amount? Probably has more in it than necessary. Thus it could cause the lsd diff to slip more. If your issue was really bad, it would cause the tire to squeal or hop. But even moaning means the lsd clutches are engaging/dragging and wearing.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Not sure what upgrading is about. Just replace with the correct lube. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211013
I believe GM has an oil with the lsd additive already mixed in it. Just like a few other brands. But is it the correct amount? Probably has more in it than necessary. Thus it could cause the lsd diff to slip more. If your issue was really bad, it would cause the tire to squeal or hop. But even moaning means the lsd clutches are engaging/dragging and wearing.
After some searching last night I read a few Camaro guys and cars with similar diffs upgrade or switch brands because they believe that it is the AC Delco fluid causing their noise issues. After switching they claim the noise goes away.

I have no idea how much truth there is to this though. Could be placebo a effect or simply the fresh fluid that makes the difference, which I am more inclined to believe.

Is it possible that there is simply a superior fluid to the AC Delco/OEM recommended fluid? Sure...but which is it and how was that determined? We run into the same issue with preferred oil brands. People tend to cling to what they know and what has not failed for them. It is just a matter of filtering out the dangerous recommendations and sticking to factory recommended specifications at the bare minimum.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
the mobil 1 has the LS additive in it already, hence the reason it's on the label...used RP, Lucas and RedLine...all they do is take $$$ out of your wallet lol...

l8tr

Bro no one said mobil 1 did not have fiction modifier in it.... just because you use mobil 1 does not mean other brands are rip offs