Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Car is at the dealership now. They found out what’s wrong. Turns out the negative cable from battery and positive cable need to be replaced. Parts and labor $720 (the cables alone are over $400 he said). What do you guys think? Seem a bit hefty.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Well, those are some pretty long cables, and given the price of copper. If that's for both cables it's a couple hundred each. Still expensive, but they are most likely direct fit with all the connections. As far as the labor, $320 is probably about 2-2.5 hours.

Expensive by the old do it yourself standard? It's outrageous, but by the modern car, "I need a degree in electrical engineering" standard, it's par for the course.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Car is at the dealership now. They found out what’s wrong. Turns out the negative cable from battery and positive cable need to be replaced. Parts and labor $720 (the cables alone are over $400 he said). What do you guys think? Seem a bit hefty.
You gotta ask them WHY and WHERE the cables are bad and more importantly WHY you need to replace the entire cables? Also ask them WHY can't jumper cables be added around the bad connection? Don't authorize any work until you get satisfactory answers.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #18
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
I would think the ground connections need to be cleaned up. Get them to show you why they say the cables are bad. One of my trucks was having that problem F20 Powerstroke diesel. Slow starts. I cleaned the ground connections and it never missed a start as long as I had it after that. Another truck had corrosion inside the jacket if the cables. I cut the cables back and attached factory built cable extension to the cables. Been that way for 10 years with no more problems.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
What Mrchris said.
Your car dealer isn't the one to take it to for a backyard fix repair. They are supposed to follow written troubleshooting guides and if this fails then replace x y and z.
If they started having all their techs doing patches to things they would be in trouble. Most techs wouldn't know what is ok and what isn't for a patched up repair. Also it puts the dealer in financial and legal risk. You SHOULD expect them to follow the repair guide and use only GM parts. Yes $$$.
If you want patched up cheaper, go to a different repair shop or DIY. I'm NOT saying trying to fix your ground or replace your starter solenoid yourself is a bad idea. Trying to harass your GM guys to do it different isn't proper.
I absolutely would try to fix it myself first. If you don't have the skillz and tools, then take it to a different "trusted" shop or have them do it and say thank you.
E.g. do jump cables from your battery to ground make it start good? Battery to positive up in the engine compartment terminal? Only from a car with charged battery to your battery? What voltage do you read before starting it? You could try simply changing battery or alternator or cleaning up grounding points and battery terminals and battery connections...
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote