Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #15
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
The obvious test would be to remove the headers and go back to stock exhaust.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:45 AM   #16
Kawijames

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
My Silverado had a very similar issue, turned out to be a bad crimp on one if the ecm ground connections. Took a month of Sunday's to find it with an ohm meter.
Kawijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #17
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I'll chime in with most everyone else, seems like a ground issue somewhere.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #18
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The obvious test would be to remove the headers and go back to stock exhaust.
I’ve had them on for like 3 years.

And yes I have a CAI. Been on for like 4 years.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #19
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
My son had the same issue, same symptoms on his Mitsubishi Esclipse. Replaced the relay that was clicking, to no avail. It was a bad ground. Ask the dealership to disconnect and reconnect all grounds related to the battery, starter, and engine.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #20
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Classic low V symptoms.. really need to check the battery as others mentioned and V at various points w/diagrams to see if there is a drop somewhere if the battery is ok.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

What do I do if the dealership can’t figure out the problem?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #22
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Find another dealership or an auto repair shop that has a good reputation. Might want to check with your local Camaro club, if you have one, to see if they can point you in the right direction.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Take a quality pair of jumper cables. Connect both clamps on one end to a metal part on the engine block. Connect both clamps on the other end to the starter, if possible, or at least an unpainted part of the frame.

If this helps, it's likely that short ~4ga ground that runs from the passenger side head to beside the fuse block.

With my mods, I kept having heat soak starter problems until I changed that wire to 00 (double aught) welding cable.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #24
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by granatl View Post
Take a quality pair of jumper cables. Connect both clamps on one end to a metal part on the engine block. Connect both clamps on the other end to the starter, if possible, or at least an unpainted part of the frame.

If this helps, it's likely that short ~4ga ground that runs from the passenger side head to beside the fuse block.

With my mods, I kept having heat soak starter problems until I changed that wire to 00 (double aught) welding cable.

Thanks for that tip. I think I’ve heard people talking about this before.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #25
DrLove38

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
Two year old bad battery.
DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #26
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I ran a bypass of zero ohm wire around the under hood terminal post for the positive for jumping on the drivers front fenderwell and its done well to limit more my hot start problems but before ever even doing that I removed the center section of hood to firewall seal for some heat relief, wrapped and replaced starter/battery along with checking all grounds and taking out the crap trunk ground and sanding inside it as its the worst..painted over flat bar sort of tapped hole spot welded into trunk metal that's painted with the trunk..... Sometimes even a simple battery store that replaces starters can be the ticket or a Les Schwab tire center here with a nice Matco or what ever scanner /diagnostic OBD2 compatible tool checking things out from someone used to it, you could try as I did just talking to the guys at the local alternator rebuild place you know and getting some zero ohm wire free...LOL

And its all in who really knows what's what in a electrical circuit that is the starter loop.
Mine just did slow starting when hot due to header heat stroke, cooled down no problem but usually not the fastest starter anyway being built and tight.... My slow starting would cause the stabillitrac code and t/c loss and go sort of safe..limp..richer until I could either restart faster or disconnect and reconnect battery only when I did lots of stop and go restarts with engine hot and oil like 200 degrees plus. Hot operating temp....

You do sound like a ground or other connection issue and a good electrical shop would be the most competent source after a free trip to the local Battery store for testing, ( around here battery exchange etc....batteries and bulbs etc...). Would if I had your problem invest in a competent electrician....at the rates compared to what you paid you would have initially saved money most likely rather than throwing parts at it. Local auto electric place worth a crapola?

Anyway the hot start issue has only happened to me once now in months with the bypass around the choke point where some resistance should be expected from the terminal being on the line and a change in wiring gauge after the terminal post. Read about it on here.... I did a simple side splice with cover from electrical tape weaving the exposed ends into a bare section on each side of the post cut with a exacto knife.....And the weather has gotten lot hotter so It does seem to get a little more power around to the starter IMO form what I can tell.... A mod that cost..notta lotta.....

BTW on my new engine my tuner had left my fuel injection grounds un-tighted other than that his work was real good and being distracted is something he is constantly from customers.....Eventually it showed a little off behavior when the grounds finally started to short on one side....and I went over every connection on my wiring after that myself....and do a draw down on the battery /load test not just a simple oh it shows 12.5 volts when it should if real good be more like getting 14 from the alternator to recharge it which if good is more than minimal and should have a great cold cranking amp number...
Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #27
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Thanks for the response^
Old 05-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #28
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Any luck yet? I am guessing

1. Bad ground somewhere
2. Battery on the edge